Russian citizen mauled to death by tiger shark off Egypt's Red Sea coast in rare attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is the "old Sheraton" beach the same hotel as the Dream Beach hotel, mentioned in the post # 75, above?

I have no idea, I am just reporting what the locals in the area are saying (in Arabic).

Simply knowing knowing about the horrific fate suffered by young Mr. Popov is as much as I need to know about this incident. I have no intention of ever watching the video as I stand to learn nothing of value from doing so, and do not have a sufficiently goulash sense of curiosity to entice me to view something that I will not be able to un-see.

Don't watch, it is horrific.

Videos like this one make me instantly call BS every time a shark "expert" explains that shark attacks are 99% of the time test bites, and that the animal realizes it's mistake and swims off. I do understand the strategy of staving off animosity to sharks so that the general public doesn't cheer on Chinese fin harvesting, but lets be honest, sometimes sharks mean it.
Brett Gilliam’s story about Rod Temple’s death makes it quite clear that some shark attacks are no mistake, the shark meant it.

I googled about which sharks lay eggs and which sharks give births. The link, below, says:

"Only a few sharks, like cat sharks, lay eggs. But look out! A whole bunch of sharks give birth to live baby sharks, called pups. Mako sharks, bull sharks, lemon sharks, and blue sharks are a few examples of sharks that are born live. Great white sharks usually have only one or two pups at a time, but some of the other sharks can have a litter with up to 20 pups."

The YouTube video, below, shows a nurse shark layed eggs in a touch tank.

For Tiger Shark, the link, below says:

"The tiger shark employs a highly unusual reproductive strategy. It gives birth to live young as do its close relatives the hammerheads and the requiem sharks, but unlike these species it, does not use a placenta to nourish the developing embryos."

Brett Gilliam’s story about Rod Temple’s death makes it quite clear that some shark attacks are no mistake, the shark meant it.
Those were oceanic whitetips, which as one researcher told me "don't miss meals." What also stood out was that Temple was alone when attacked; even when Gilliam was trying to tug Temple away from the sharks they did not attack Gilliam. The Cocos incident with a tiger shark was similar in that by accounts the shark was focused on the victim who died.

The salient point is that sharks are wild predators; their main concern is coming out ahead on the calories obtained/energy expended exchange and not being injured in the process. Blindsiding prey versus head-on confrontation is a big difference.

Which link goes to the video of the Eygptian shark attack that started this thread? I must have missed it as have not come to it in any of the links I followed. So to save going through all post again, would someone kindly point me to the link please.

TIA.

Which link goes to the video of the Eygptian shark attack that started this thread? I must have missed it as have not come to it in any of the links I followed. So to save going through all post again, would someone kindly point me to the link please.

TIA.

Post #17 by @BlueTrin on page 2 of this thread.

I take a step further, even if catching THE specific individual, which often results in killing it, achieves what exactly? I can come up with plenty answers myself, the real question is, do any of them make sense???

A mountainbiker fell off a trail here in Florida and ended up in the river, was bitten (maybe killed, can’t remember), an alligator was killed and trails were closed for a long time. Did killing 1 alligator made it any safer? Was it not known to anyone there are alligators in the area? Did authorities then believed there were just that one alligator in the area? Did authorities believe only this small area has/had alligators?
I have a hard time coming up with any sensible answers
Luckily he was not killed. He fell, landed on a “mama” gator with nestlings, and was bitten. Pretty understandable reaction by the gator. He survived— what I remember is without much damage (he was interviewed on the local news).

We are currently in Soma Bay, around 50kms south of Hurghada, and the whole coast down to here has been shut off to divers for 48 hours. Considering the statistics I feel as though it is a little bit overboard to condemn 50 miles of coast. There are many sharks here, and the incident per tourist/diver capita rate is extremely low. It's far better to be a diver than a snorkeler though, that's for sure.
We were at Breakers/Orca Diving to collect our gear this afternoon and there were not too many smiles to be seen. It's a huge upset for the Dive centers who have no business for 48 hours and I am quite confident that the government will offer no subsidies.. This is their high season and 48 hours must feel like an eternity for them, especially when there is no guarantee that the Govt will re-open the coast after the 48 hours, they are praying that no-one finds a 2nd Tiger Shark in the area..

We are fortunate as we're heading of on a LOB for a week.... we only lose a single diving day.. It's a lot less fun for those who only have 4 or 5 days shore diving.

As divers we are strongly advised not to float/splash around on the surface, but to get up the ladder, or bac in the Zodiac without making a fuss, it's good advice.

A thought must go out to the unfortunate Russian snorkeler, outside of the political arena, no one merits such a terrible demise.
Thank you

I have been attending the MENA Oceans Summit in Dubai over the past two days and this incident was discussed today during the coffee breaks and networking meetings.

Eid Al Adha is in a couple of weeks and prior to this there are many sheep transport ships sailing up the Red Sea to deposit their cargo in Saudi and Egypt.

It's a well known fact that sick animals on these vessels are dumped overboard and attract various marine life looking for an easy meal. I'm not sure that the authorities in Egypt are keen to advertise this fact or even do anything about it!
THIS

if you look at the shark attack in Egypt over the past 10 years mre than half is around Eid alAdha. That being said, since Eid is close to the summer this days, it is hard to distinginsh between both.

DateEid on that yearclose to Eid ?
09/06/202327/06/2023yes
22/03/201507/09/2015no
27/10/202030/07/2020no
04/08/201823/08/2018yes
05/06/201612/09/2016no
02/06/200927/11/2009no
04/07/202208/07/2022yes
02/07/202208/07/2022yes
06/12/201016/11/2010yes

Back
Top Bottom