Trip Report Red Sea Dive Safari

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dflaher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just completed a week of diving at the Marsa Shagra property of Red Sea Diving Safari (RSDS). Many thanks to those that provided input to my trip, especially @JustSurfaceInterval. It was my first time in Egypt, and my wife doesn't dive, so a friend of mine accompanied me on the trip. It was his first time in Egypt also. Thanks also to my wife for graciously letting me chase my dream.

First, getting to this part of the world from the western US is not easy and involves a number of flights. I was very envious of the divers from western Europe that can reach Marsa Alam in a single 4 or 5 hour flight. Our itinerary took us from Phoenix to San Francisco to Doha to Cairo, on Qatar Airlines. We overnighted in Cairo, then took a late morning flight to Marsa Alam (RMF). A rep from RSDS met us at RMF and drove us the 45 minutes to RSDS. We had paid for this service in advance. Note: Getting through the Cairo airport was a non-event with none of the customs and immigration hassles I have read about. We obtained our visas and exchanged USD for EGP while we waited for our bags; there was a line at Vodafone for SIM cards so we purchased them the next day at RMF.

In his post here everything that @JustSurfaceInterval reported was completely accurate and right on the mark as far as the accomodations, food, and the diving operations. So I won't repeat it here, but to summarize it was wonderful. As far as the diving, it was very good from the house reef, but we tended to take the zodiacs out rather than shore dive. This was because the resort was quite full at the time and there seemed to be a lot of sand and particles kicked up which reduced visibility closer to shore. The zodiacs take you farther away which reduces this issue.

We did two excursions which are not included in the base package: A one-tank dive to Elphinstone and a two-tank dive to Dolphin House. These were both worth the extra time and money. Elphinstone is an amazing reef with lots of healthy hard and soft coral. Our dive plan was to descend and dive the reef for about 30 minutes at about 25/30 meters, then ascend to 10 meters and hang in the blue and wait for Oceanic Whitetip sharks. After seeing one briefly at about 20 meters earlier, we saw 2 or 3 hanging above us for most of the second part of the dive. Fantastic! The other excursion was to Dolphin House, which is accessed from zodiac at their sister property Marsa Nakari . This was a two tank dive and a potential to snorkel with dolphins, but the dolphins did not appear. Both of the dives however, were magnificient. This first ended with a long tunnel swimthrough, and the second was full of vibrant coral.

My only complaint for the week was that we did not see many "critters" such as octopus, lobsters, turtles and eels. The coral was amazing as was the diversity of small fish, also blue spotted stingrays, but we would have liked to see some of the other species as well.

Hope this helps anyone considering this option.

Glad to hear that you had a great week.
Re the "critters", that must be bad luck: we had several encounters with turtles and also some octopuses. Even 2 together doing what octopuses usually do to increase the octopus population....

Thank you VERY much for your report. I am glad that you had a great time there. My first questions, Why only 1 week? Was it worth only one week or could you have stayed for more and be happy with the diving, etc. there?

We stayed 2 weeks and it did not get boring... you nicely get into the flow of eat, sleep, dive, repeat....

Thank you VERY much for your report. I am glad that you had a great time there. My first questions, Why only 1 week? Was it worth only one week or could you have stayed for more and be happy with the diving, etc. there?
You're very welcome @BoltSnap. I could have easily stayed another week but because it was my first time in Egypt I wanted to sightsee along the Nile and in Cairo. That would be too long away from my lovely wife. 😍

If I were to go back I would likely try one of the other properties - Wadi Lahami is interesting to me because it is the most remote so perhaps a week at Shagra and a week at Lahami.

You're very welcome @BoltSnap. I could have easily stayed another week but because it was my first time in Egypt I wanted to sightsee along the Nile and in Cairo. That would be too long away from my lovely wife. 😍

If I were to go back I would likely try one of the other properties - Wadi Lahami is interesting to me because it is the most remote so perhaps a week at Shagra and a week at Lahami.

Are you recently married??????????????????????? I can go up to two months away from the wife but not from the little kids I have. Two weeks is max for me :)

I am going to send you more questions later when I am less tired than I am now.

We just got back from 5 days diving at Marsa Shagra followed by 5 at Marsa Nakari. We loved both. Not much to add to previous reports; but underlining, the food is great, and the people who work at both resorts are wonderful. The house reef at Nakari is not quite as pretty as at Shagra, but we found the 10-20 minute excursions from Nakari to be much better diving (really memorable) than the somewhat longer and more famous excursions from Shagra. If you have the time, go to both.

Back
Top Bottom