Egypt in January for first timers - which area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can skip ”a handful of bars and restaurants” I would strongly reccomend Red Sea Diving Safaris and Marsa Shagra Camp
I am in the preliminary planning for a LOB trip out of Port Ghalib next June, and wanted to spend a few days of land-based diving beforehand. This sounds like it might fit the bill. Do you know how it would compare with Pharoah Divers at Roots Camp in El Quesir?

I am in the preliminary planning for a LOB trip out of Port Ghalib next June, and wanted to spend a few days of land-based diving beforehand. This sounds like it might fit the bill. Do you know how it would compare with Pharoah Divers at Roots Camp in El Quesir?

I have no experience or "hear-say" from Pharao Divers in El Quesir, so can't really advice. They seem to have a similar layout of operations, with unlimited house reef diving combined with excursions/boat trips. Question is what the quality is on the Roots/Pharao house reef? I don't know, but the Marsa Shagra house reef is top level. I also like the geographical location of RSDS Marsa Shagra, just inside Elphinstone giving easy access to a deep water reef every morning (normally a boat at 07:00 and one at 10:00) if you fancy that. That is a full day excursion from El Quesir.

The house reef at Pharaoh's and the other nearby shore diving sites that they take you to by minibus are all great dives.

I have no experience or "hear-say" from Pharao Divers in El Quesir, so can't really advice. They seem to have a similar layout of operations, with unlimited house reef diving combined with excursions/boat trips. Question is what the quality is on the Roots/Pharao house reef? I don't know, but the Marsa Shagra house reef is top level. I also like the geographical location of RSDS Marsa Shagra, just inside Elphinstone giving easy access to a deep water reef every morning (normally a boat at 07:00 and one at 10:00) if you fancy that. That is a full day excursion from El Quesir.
Slightly off-topic, but could you tell me how long the RIB journey takes from RSDS Marsa Shagra to Elphinstone? Thanks in advance.

20ish minutes.
Super, thanks very much! And I expect they use one of the larger RIBs, right? Not the pick-you-up kind of tender that typically works off a liveaboard?

January is probably one of the worst months to go diving in Egypt's red sea. Very cold water, cold air temps, choppy seas and low visibility. Not worth it.
That all depends on what area of the Red Sea you decide to dive. Shark Bay near Sharm El Sheik airport is probably the best site for shelter. Short walk from the beach or from the jetty... slight drop off on the reef from 5 meters to 120+. Caters for technical and recreational divers.

I know I know, no means no but. I just want to provide opinion on red sea diving.
I was not impressed with anything I saw on sites accessible by day boat. If we'd traveled all that way and got a weeks worth of the final day of diving, I would tell you to stay closer to home in the Caribbean.

Quoting myself from the other Red Sea thread.

Back
Top Bottom