Egypt in January for first timers - which area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Super, thanks very much! And I expect they use one of the larger RIBs, right? Not the pick-you-up kind of tender that typically works off a liveaboard?
Last week at Elphinstone, all RIB’s were twin engine. 10 years ago the people of RSDS Marsa Shagra told me that for the trip to Elphinstone, RIB’s must be twin engine by law. Can’t confirm if that’s true, my Arabic is a bit rusty.
My opinion on Elphinstone: it is a bucket list reef and if the big ones are there, it is worth it. If not, than there are better reefs when it comes to coral formations. I liked the outer skirts of Shaab Samadai more. Also: Elphinstone can be very busy with like 8 safari boat and the same number of RIB’s. First dive last week was like in a jacuzzi.

About RSDS, we liked it very much. They have an unlimited housereef diving package. When the imam wakes you up at 05.00 with his prayer, just grab yourself a tank at the dive shade and do your first dive before breakfast. Water was 21° in February. A 5mm wetsuit would be good enough.

About RSDS, we liked it very much. They have an unlimited housereef diving package.

Are you talking about the Marsa Shaqra, etc. company?

Yes, Red Sea Diving Safari Marsa Shagra. They have 3 places: RSDS Marsa Nakari and RSDS Wadi Lahami are the two other places. Shagra is the biggest one and 30min south of Marsa Alam airport.

Last week at Elphinstone, all RIB’s were twin engine. 10 years ago the people of RSDS Marsa Shagra told me that for the trip to Elphinstone, RIB’s must be twin engine by law.
Thanks for your review. Did the RIBs have ladders? If not was getting back in easy?

Water was 21° in February. A 5mm wetsuit would be good enough.

But how was the sea conditions? Was it wavy and how was visibility that time of the year?

The RIB’s did have ladders, but we didn’t use them. With the right technique it is not hard to get back in. I just fin myself up while pushing up with my arms, swing one leg over the edge and elegantly 😜 roll in the boat. Of course without tank/bcd/weights which you give to the driver before initiating.
Actually I can recommend integrated weights for this situation. While ascending from safety stop I release my waist belt and crotch strap, inflate wing at surface, keep second stage with long hose in mouth, grab a rope and take off wing/tank combo. At that moment I am floating cause I am positive (no weight belt because weight pockets on waist belt wing). With one hand I hold the rope, with the other my wing until it is my turn to hand over my combo to the driver. Always reg in mouth. With the long hose I can keep it in until the wing/bcd is in the boat and start exit movement. I like this kind of situations, trying to find out what works best, being strict to myself and improve next time. Gives a sense of evolution.

But how was the sea conditions? Was it wavy and how was visibility that time of the year?
Little bit wavy, visibility was the normal 30-60m ish thing.

[...]With the right technique it is not hard to get back in.[..]
Good description.
May i add that you should look out for these hard rubber handles on the hull and avoid your chest landing on them when you pull up. Otherwise you may experience some unpleasant contusions... (ask my buddy...).

We had the pleasure of a special service where the Zodiac guys simply pulled us out of the water in full gear (i.e. full gear with everything). When it was our turn to go up, we were pointed at one by one by the DM/guide at the safety stop and we went up directly, with minimum time floating around at the surface.
(as described in an other post...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom