Need help..Tank for my son?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm roughly 5'5"/5'6" depending if you ask my wife or me.
An Al 80 is a bit tall on me but nothing that isn't crazy annoying. Now if you're 5'3" and below then yes it's a pain in the ass especially if you're gearing up on a sit-down bench. Aside from that it's not a problem for me when I'm standing or diving; and I place my tanks low.

You know your son's strength best. An Al80's height isn't going to be a problem for him IMO, and he's still got growing potential at his age.

well i was thinking if he uses the 63 now and outgrows it could use the 63 because i am great on air compsumption and then get him an 80 down the road.

if you are going on that assumption, then you must be doing independent gas planning as the argument you just made has killed people before. Granted it was in overhead environment, but you are carrying your buddies gas reserves, so everything has to be balanced. I would not invest in new aluminum tanks for this, especially if you are diving in salt water.
72cf LP Steel Scuba Tanks Vintage
Not sure where in gulf coast you are, but something like these for $100, plus another $50 for hydro, and another $100 for new valves, and you have $250 invested in tanks that are vastly superior to aluminum tanks for single tank diving. Little longer than an AL63, but a pound lighter, and saves 3lbs of lead on the belt. So 4lbs lighter, 10cf more gas at working pressure, and an inch shorter than an AL80. That's easy

@tbone1004 if this post was intended for me, I do not do OE. If it was not, then I apologize.

I certainly would not take a 10 yr old boy in an OE either. This is strictly for OW. He is just learning. As from reading my other posts i am having trouble finding LP72s to begin with -- not to mention spending the price on a 10yr old that may or may not stay with it. He's only 4'9 -- so i wonder if he 80 would be to long for him. I think the best bet would be for me to rent both types of tanks and see what works for him.

I am not sure where you got the idea about OE but here on the part of the gulf coast where I am at there are no OE, plus I am not experience in it. Thank you for your input though. i will keep that mind.

the post was directed at you, and obviously you aren't diving with him in an overhead, but you still have rock bottom gas planning if your dive plan includes air sharing. The concept doesn't matter whether it is in an overhead or not, you are carrying your buddies gas reserves and if your gas planning is ascent at 1000psi, and you tank match to where you end up at about the same PSI to ascent, you are running the very real risk of not being able to make it to the surface because you are now carrying an insufficient gas supply for your buddy to make it to the surface. Read up about gas matching if your plan is for you to use a smaller tank because you have a lower consumption rate.

The al80 is too long for people that are 5'5" so way too long for someone that short. The tanks I linked are in the Houston area, but there usually are steel tanks in most locations

All day long. This guy is actually a member here and for just over $100, shipped, you got a tank that is in hydro and VIPed. Biggest no brainer in the history of earth..

Steel Scuba Tank 72CF

@FireMedicATL

I had planned on getting two from @FireMedicATL but if I spend one more nickel on dive gear I will lose it all when my wife divorces me. :wink: Or at least half of it.. And I really love my wife, so I figured I would keep her AND my dive gear.

...Don't go to aluminum backplate, remember he still has to carry the lead to get in and out of the water to get neutral. MOST divers are about perfectly weighted with a stainless plate and steel tank...

A steel backplate and a steel tank is too much weight for me when I'm using my 3 mm full suit. It's fine with all my other wetsuits. I do most of my diving in SE FL, I use the 3 mm wetsuit about half the year

about the only con i can think of is for airline travel if you are tight on limits. you "can" get a smaller, lighter travel bcd.

A steel backplate and a steel tank is too much weight for me when I'm using my 3 mm full suit. It's fine with all my other wetsuits. I do most of my diving in SE FL, I use the 3 mm wetsuit about half the year

OP is in maryland, so I was basing that off of the assumption of a 5mm or 7mm wetsuit, and AL tanks when travelling, but correct, a 3mm would make most anyone overweight, even in the salty stuff

the post was directed at you, and obviously you aren't diving with him in an overhead, but you still have rock bottom gas planning if your dive plan includes air sharing. The concept doesn't matter whether it is in an overhead or not, you are carrying your buddies gas reserves and if your gas planning is ascent at 1000psi, and you tank match to where you end up at about the same PSI to ascent, you are running the very real risk of not being able to make it to the surface because you are now carrying an insufficient gas supply for your buddy to make it to the surface. Read up about gas matching if your plan is for you to use a smaller tank because you have a lower consumption rate.

The al80 is too long for people that are 5'5" so way too long for someone that short. The tanks I linked are in the Houston area, but there usually are steel tanks in most locations

i think you are missing my point. my son is 10 and he will be just learning how to dive. he hasn't even started class yet. I am just asking questions on what kind of tank to purchase for him. He is 4'9 so I think an 80 would be to big for him. Once he gets several dives under his belt, then we can go into air sharing, but for now, lets get him through classes first. It seems to me you are jumping the gin here a bit - no offense intended. i am quite sure the instructor will cover what is necessary in class.

You even proved your own point about people being under 5'5 having a 80 tank being too long. So im not sure where your point is going here, you seem to be contradicting yourself in your latest post.

Back
Top Bottom