Need help..Tank for my son?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I askwd the as!e question... Here is what my LDS informed me of....

It is better to buy an al80 because he will soon enough grow out of a 63. Unless you plan on vuyiung another tank down the road...I would go with the al8p

That makes no sense at all. You buy a used 63 for $100 or buy a used 80 for $100. They cost the same, when he outgrows it, sell the 63 and buy an 80 instead.
Might as well start buying him XL clothes, after all, he will grow into them and you wouldn't want to buy them twice.

An AL 50 is a fairly unusual tank, as it is wide and short (same dia. as some AL 80's). They're pretty light, though, and I have seen BIG guys (6'4", 250 lbs.) trim out properly with a single one. May be worth looking into.

That makes no sense at all. You buy a used 63 for $100 or buy a used 80 for $100. They cost the same, when he outgrows it, sell the 63 and buy an 80 instead.
Might as well start buying him XL clothes, after all, he will grow into them and you wouldn't want to buy them twice.

yes i understand that -- BUT -- my point was can he handle an 80 -- not the price of buying him one. He is only 4'9" I do not want something that is going to overwhelm him. Thats why I considered the 63.

Besides if I by him XL - then i wont have to worry about it later. :p

Steel HP 80. Dry weight, this tank is about 4 lbs lighter than an AL 80 and has better buoyancy characteristics. It's also several inches shorter than an AL 80. In addition, the extra gas will put him closer to your 100, compared to an AL63.

Steel HP 80. Dry weight, this tank is about 4 lbs lighter than an AL 80 and has better buoyancy characteristics. It's also several inches shorter than an AL 80. In addition, the extra gas will put him closer to your 100, compared to an AL63.

that is something i might consider -- i really need for him to try an 80 first and see if he can handle it -- that is my biggest concern. even if i get him a 63 and he grown out of it -- i can always use it as a second tank -- or even sell it..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom