Need help..Tank for my son?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i have not contradicted myself. An al63 for him is one thing, but for you to say that if he outgrows it you will buy an 80 for him and you will use the 63 because you have a very low air consumption rate is my point, and it is extremely dangerous and is not covered in the vast majority of open water classes because they assume you are all using the same tanks. Dissimilar tank volumes are just as important in open water as they are in cave diving, but everyone plans for the best and hopes for the best when they make comments like you did in post #22

OP is in maryland, so I was basing that off of the assumption of a 5mm or 7mm wetsuit, and AL tanks when travelling, but correct, a 3mm would make most anyone overweight, even in the salty stuff

You're correct too, an AL80 is fine with the steel plate. I dive a Kydex plate with a steel tank and my 3 mm

i have an 80 already -- i could always use another tank for shallow dives

All day long. This guy is actually a member here and for just over $100, shipped, you got a tank that is in hydro and VIPed. Biggest no brainer in the history of earth..

Steel Scuba Tank 72CF

@FireMedicATL

@Doby45
Thank you for the post. I actually sold my last 6 this week. I will be picking up a dozen more next week, I will get them listed when they come back from hydro.

Last edited:
My daughter was just certified. She is going to start out with steel 72's. They're small, they require less lead and they are easy to get hold of. Best bang for the buck. They also have better float characteristics than AL tanks.

It's also important to keep in mind a 13 yo will not have the same strength, coordination and balance of an adult woman of the same size.

@lowviz thanks for the link -- its a great read -- i didnt think about a 50 -- i talked with my LDS and he recommended a 63 for him not a 72. so for now thats what I am going to go with.

see the thing is he hasn't even started training yet. so when it comes time for his check out dives i am sure the instructor will cover all that is needed.

so why buy a tank now if he isn't certified yet? You should be able to rent a 63 during OWT and for use during the pool sessions to make sure that is actually the best tank for him

not going to buy one right now -- going to buy once hes certified -- was just looking for info on waht to get him. basically gathering info. best to learn now

not only that i expect to be mis-matched on air -- his lung capacity is way smaller than mine. his has yet to devleope in to a "divers" capacity. as you so put it

im not sure why you are all over my case about this -- but i was just asking questions -- it seems you have a personal vendetta against me finding out info. I thought that this is what these forums were for.

i mean no offense here, but geesh -- lay off already please

Last edited:
I'm 5ft5 like your son, and I use the Faber 10.5L tank (closest equivalent in USA is the HP80 I think).

One thing I like about it is that I can carry them without bending my elbows.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom