Need help..Tank for my son?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LP72's haven't been made in decades, so available used only. They are only a couple of pounds lighter than a HP100, but those deals on the HP100's I linked are pretty good. Don't buy new tanks, colossal waste of money. He's too tall for a HP80 already imho

I typically buy LP72s out of hydro for $40 from local sellers on Craigslist. One comes up every month or two. None have failed hydro yet. My average cost per cylinder is around $100 including hydro, VIP, air fill, valve parts or replacement, and (if needed) shot blasting.

Don't go to aluminum backplate, remember he still has to carry the lead to get in and out of the water to get neutral. MOST divers are about perfectly weighted with a stainless plate and steel tank.

In fresh water with a 3mm or less wetsuit he may be a little overweighted with a DSS stainless backplate and a steel tank.

I think an important issue here is the comfort and ease experienced by a young new diver. I often use an AL 63 for shallow inlet dives. It's an excellent size and much easier to handle for those on the young (and old) side who don't need all that weight on their back. On 10 meter dives the gas lasts a long, long time. Lead can be positioned and used in various less burdensome ways.

for reference the LP72's we are talking about is only 3.5" longer, but is half a pound lighter and has a 2.5lb buoyancy advantage, so you get an extra 15% of gas, and a 3lb lighter rig.

Today we tested it and he was able to walk and go up 2-3 stairs with the hp100 setup I have which is definitely on the heavier side with the steel STA. So we will go steel backplate and wing and HP100 when the time comes. Again a big thank you to everyone that replied and shared their insights. Safe diving to all !

good call, even with the time coming, it'd be worth checking out those doubles sets that I linked to. Great deals on the best tanks ever made IMHO. They don't come up all that often and you certainly won't find any cheaper. Also of note, the only new HP100's being made are the Faber FX's which are an inch and a half longer than the PST's and don't stand up to salt water nearly as well, so grab them while you can

im glad you posted this -- my 10 yr old has also decided to start diving and he is 5ft and i am trying to decide what tank he should use. it seems that after reading this, an 63al would be a great starter tank for him - at least that the LDS recommended and if he grows that -- i can use the 63 and he can move up to an 80.

I'd try to find some used steel tanks before you buy al63's, they aren't good for a whole lot once you grow out of them. Far better to try to find something like a HP80 or even better, if he's fairly strong, find some LP95's.

im glad you posted this -- my 10 yr old has also decided to start diving and he is 5ft and i am trying to decide what tank he should use. it seems that after reading this, an 63al would be a great starter tank for him - at least that the LDS recommended and if he grows that -- i can use the 63 and he can move up to an 80.

urbaneve71,

My twin daughters just turned 13. I started them on scuba (backyard pool) about 4 years ago. They used a rented Al 80 the first year (because no other rental was available), which really didn't work well at all, as it was entirely too long and too heavy. I had them put it on and take it off while they and the tank were in the pool, so we made things work.

The next two years they used a rented Al 63, which worked extremely well with respect to tank length, weight, buoyancy, and balance (and, of course, capacity). Everything—including entries (forward-roll, back-roll, giant stride), surface swimming (with snorkel), underwater swimming, regulator recovery, buddy breathing with me, even U/W doffing and donning—worked extremely well with an Al 63.

All of our pool dives have been made using a plastic backpack, a simple nylon harness, a single-hose regulator, no BC, and no exposure suit.

Last summer, my twins used one of my OMS (Faber) LP 46's, which are a bit more negatively buoyant than an Al 63, which, too, worked fine. I chose not to have them wear this steel tank until last year, because it is slightly negatively buoyant (rather than positively buoyant) in fresh water when empty. I prefer this tank for them now, now that they are older and bigger and stronger, because of its small outer diameter (which is *much* smaller then an Al 63's 7.25" outer diameter).

I will have my just-turned-15-year-old daughter try my OMS (Faber) LP 66 (outer diameter = 6.9") tank in a couple of weeks—if I can find a wet suit top that fits her. I'm optimistic that this tank will work perfectly for her and her sisters this year—if they are wearing a wet suit! I wouldn't dream of allowing any of my three girls to wear this LP 66 if they are NOT wearing a wetsuit. And I certainly would never allow them to wear my PST HP 80. And I absolutely would never allow them to wear a PST HP 100! IMHO, very small people simply cannot wear enough neoprene to offset the negative buoyancy of a full HP 80 or full HP 100. I, myself, at 6'2" and 250#, cannot offset the weight of one of my full HP 80's when wearing my 3/2 O'Neill jumpsuit.

FWIW.

Dive Safely,

rx7diver

Last edited:
thanks -- i think i am going to go with the 63al and see how it works for him

Back
Top Bottom