Need advice for Cozumel dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

livn_life

Reaction score
I'm researching a trip to Cozumel to do some diving. I was hoping to spend 4 or 5 days down there and maybe do 3 days of diving. I've heard that the best thing to do is to go to an all inclusive resort. Has anyone tried this? I suspect that diving is extra. Or can you find a resort that throws that in as part of a package? I guess, my real question is can anyone suggest a resort or hotel down in Cozumel for diving? Sorry if this a real newbie question. :)

I doubt if you can find a resort or hotel in Cozumel that does not have diving. So what else is improtant. Near town, near dive sites, food quality, free drinks, type dive boats, beach, A/C, air/land/dive package, other activities?

awap:
I doubt if you can find a resort or hotel in Cozumel that does not have diving. So what else is improtant. Near town, near dive sites, food quality, free drinks, type dive boats, beach, A/C, air/land/dive package, other activities?

There is a separate forum in the Scuba Destinations section under Mexico for specific Cozumel questions. Perhaps you will find the info you seek there...try doing a basic search for "All Inclusives" and then adding the term "Diving" to better define the criteria.

I've been to Cozumel many times and have had no trouble with either AI's, stand-a-lone hotels and vacation villas when it comes to arranging the required diving...enjoy :crafty:

Perhaps the MOD's could redirect this thread to the Cozumel forum?

Squashie

I asked one of the Mods if we could move it there... :D

I like the Melia Cozumel, good food, good service and for diving I highly recommend these guys. http://www.cozumel-diving.net/edds/

Tell them John from Kentucky sent ya, they will hook you up and take good care of you.

livn_life:
I've heard that the best thing to do is to go to an all inclusive resort.
I would not do AI in Cozumel. There are dozens of excellent (and cheap) eating establishments on the island and the AI's are no where near the quality you can find in some other locals.

livn_life:
Has anyone tried this?
Once.

livn_life:
I suspect that diving is extra. Or can you find a resort that throws that in as part of a package?
Some places include the diving in the room, but you are paying for it either way. There are a few places that offer free shore diving if you are staying and boat diving with them. These are the best deals if you want to dive a lot.

James

I would stay at the Costa Club and using Alison (scubawithalison.com) for your dives. She is wonderful and gives a great diving experience - especially if you females in your dive group.

I'm not too hip on the AI thing either, you have a tendency to just stay to the resort and not get a real feel for what Cozumel is all about. Plus you can stay at a regular hotel and eat at the restaurants around the island for less money and more variety.
Most boat diving is extra at the AI's I do believe if you decide to go that direction. Shore diving is usually included at all resorts AI or not, but the real thing is out on the reef.
Hotel suggestions?... La Ceiba great location, photo shop on site good restaurant, good shore diving and snorkeling; Casa del Mar (cheap, clean, no frills, built for divers, accross the street from the beach by La Ceiba); Fiest Americana, further south than La Ceiba but some friends just stayed there and liked it.
Just make sure your south of town, it will make it easier to get on a dive boat as most of the diving is that direction.
someone suggested the Melia, it's way up north, kind of out of the way.

Dive ops?...Blue XT Sea, Christi is on this board quite a bit and is highly regarded,;Dive with Martin, good folks with good prices, high recommended by friends,;Blue Bubble I personally have dove with them many times and have always been very impressed with the DM's, small groups and fast boats.

Inexpensive restaurants?...Ernesto's fajita factory, Casa Denis, Playa Corona, La Mission... the list goes on and on.

hope this helps
God bless,
the shark

You guys seem to be against All-Inclusives, I still disagree. I am all for them, all though I don't look for them to include my dives, I get these elsewhere. The Melia Cozumel and Iberostar were both great and the prices I paid for my trips were close to what other people paid for just airfare and hotels. I got my hotel, airfare, food when I choose to eat there, and all the Alcohol I could drink included for around 1000 dollars. My beer and shots of Tequela would cost a few hundred! :) So even if I could get here on about 750 dollars, it was worth the extra 250 for the GREAT food and drinks while I was at the resort.

Plus once I try to settle down from all the diving I do, I stay at the resorts and eat and drink there. It's nice to leave my wallet in the safe and not have to worry about anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom