Trip planning advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How would you compare Villa Aldora/Aldora Divers and Roberta Scuba Sack/Lodge? in terms of location, dive service, accomodations?

If I remember right, it was from 7:30 to about 1:00. I think regarding prices, the days of Mexico being a cheap destination are long gone. They haven't quite hit Hawaii prices yet, but most things (restaurants, hotels, dive charters, car rentals, etc.) all seemed to cost a bit more than where I live on Vancouver Island in Canada.
Ive noticed a lot of Canadian divers cutting back on their diving here due to costs now. They need to give up their Disney subscription so they can have more money for future dive travels.:wink:

If for whatever reason we end up not wanting to use Aldora, but still stay at the Villa, how much of a hassle it is it to get to other dive boats?
Villa Aldora is about an 8-10 minute walk to Puerto de Abrigo. At least one op leaves from there - Salty Endeavors - others may also. I'm providing a link to my spreadsheet that may provide some helpful info.

Dive ops by jonhall

When you say longer boat ride, how long a boat ride are we talking?
Someone mentioned fast boats from Aldora - although I have no first hand experience with them, I did dive with Pepe Scuba which at the time was a little farther north than VA (and is now located even a little farther north,) and they had fast boats - I was skeptical at first but we got to dive sites in the marine park faster than dive boats that were leaving from in town.

Roberta Scuba Sack/Lodge? in terms of location, dive service, accomodations?
Roberta's SS is a great op also and closer to the dive sites (shorter boat rides.) There are several accommodations right there. I have only stayed at El Cid, which does have an optional all-inclusive and it is okay - wouldn't use the onsite op (although I did 1 day), but Roberta's and other ops are a 4-8 minute walk. There are other accommodations in that area that are AI and some that are not. There are also other good dive ops in that area. Shore dives are also common in that area. The spreadsheet may give you some options.

I've been looking into VA and Blue Angel for a future trip - a departure from using our timeshare or maybe use the timeshare for the Allegra just because it has a nice beach and is only a few minutes boat ride to sites. Will be interested to know what you finally end up doing.

Ive noticed a lot of Canadian divers cutting back on their diving here due to costs now. They need to give up their Disney subscription so they can have more money for future dive travels.:wink:
I'm super cheap so I don't even have a Disney subscription. Despite being super cheap (other Canadians would tactfully call it "sensible with their money"), I'd still go back to Cozumel.

Yes, the Villa Aldora has 20, light weight steel 80 cf, tanks there at all times. Also a rinse tank and drying rack, all secure. All free for guests, as well as all snorkel equipment. That is the "Aldora Way" which I began in 1992.

We are having trouble updating the website because the host has decided to delete the program it was produced in. We will probably get that updated by starting all over again …in a few weeks.

Dave Dillehay

My personal recommendation would be to book a resort that has a dive operation on site. This way you only pay for air.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. You just pay for air? Versus what? We've stayed at seven AI resorts on the island and would never recommend using the onsite dive ops. They are volume based ops (mostly cattle boats) and there are so many better options available that will pick you up and drop you off back at your resort pier.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. You just pay for air? Versus what? We've stayed at seven AI resorts on the island and would never recommend using the onsite dive ops. They are volume based ops (mostly cattle boats) and there are so many better options available that will pick you up and drop you off back at your resort pier.
Blue Angel is a resort close to town with an excellent dive op on site. Likewise, Scuba Club Cozumel. Both are small compared to the southern resorts, though.

I see a couple mentions of fast boats. Is that like a Zodiac type boat?
No. A Zodiac is an inflatable boat; the fast boats at Cozumel are wooden or fiberglass with outboard motors.

No. A Zodiac is an inflatable boat; the fast boats at Cozumel are wooden or fiberglass with outboard motors.

Thanks. Just wanted to familiarize myself with terminology.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom