Need advice for Cozumel dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icyman:
You guys seem to be against All-Inclusives, I still disagree. I am all for them, all though I don't look for them to include my dives, I get these elsewhere. The Melia Cozumel and Iberostar were both great and the prices I paid for my trips were close to what other people paid for just airfare and hotels. I got my hotel, airfare, food when I choose to eat there, and all the Alcohol I could drink included for around 1000 dollars. My beer and shots of Tequela would cost a few hundred! :) So even if I could get here on about 750 dollars, it was worth the extra 250 for the GREAT food and drinks while I was at the resort.

Plus once I try to settle down from all the diving I do, I stay at the resorts and eat and drink there. It's nice to leave my wallet in the safe and not have to worry about anything.

I agree. My first 2 trips to Cozumel were not AI. Food was not cheap and required a lot more running around. My last 12 trip were AI. We still usually go to town for 1 or 2 evenings unless we stay down south. That way eating doesn't get in the way of diving.

icyman:
You guys seem to be against All-Inclusives, I still disagree.
I like all inclusives. Just not on Cozumel.

icyman:
The Melia Cozumel and Iberostar were both great and the prices I paid for my trips were close to what other people paid for just airfare and hotels. I got my hotel, airfare, food when I choose to eat there, and all the Alcohol I could drink included for around 1000 dollars.
I've stayed at the Melia. Besides being in a horrible location, the food was mediocre at best (ok the breakfast was good). And all the alcohol you can drink? I seem to recall waiting 20 minutes at a time to get small watered down drinks.

James

Your first priority is the dive op. Decide which dive op you want. If you don't know one from another look around on the internet and read reviews There are around 100 ops on the island so don't settle for one just cause it's at the hotel you staying in.

Next look around for the type of hotel you want you mentioned AI. I've done it both ways don't really have a preference. It is more convienent to eat at the hotel and just relax. The food in town is mo better.

Some of the hotels have a stay there/dive package but I would only recommend that if you have chosen the dive op first and they just happen to be the inhouse dive op.

You didn't mention the location you wanted to stay, in town, south of town, way south of town, or north of town.

Everyone on this board has their favorite hotel and dive op. List a few you think you might be interested in and then ask your questions. :D

http://www.travelnotes.cc/cozumel/index.php here is a website that that has alot of dive ops and hotels listed.

James Goddard:
I've stayed at the Melia. Besides being in a horrible location, the food was mediocre at best (ok the breakfast was good). And all the alcohol you can drink? I seem to recall waiting 20 minutes at a time to get small watered down drinks.

James

Well it was a short drive to town 5 dollars in a taxi and you could walk it as well, which I did with no ill consequences. As for the food it was good when I have been there on 8 different occasions.

I never once had to wait more than a few minutes for my drinks, it might be the way I start out though, my attitude always seems to get me great service no matter where I go. I also do one little thing when I first arrive, I tip the bar tenders a few bucks the first day, and then I tell them I will tip them again before I leave. typically i give one or two bartenders or waitresses a few dollars spend maybe 20 dollars total but insure great service for my whole vacation.

I also gave my housekeeper 1 peso a day and you would be surpirzed what they are willing to do for you. We arrived every day to a freshly cleaned room with all kinds of extra towels, made into sculpures I might add and other little extras. So for 7 more dollars i got more of anything faster than you could snap your fingers from our housekeeper. :D

All in All I might spend 30 dollars more by tipping, but it still beats the service I got at any restaurant in town, ESPECIALLY the bars. I also speak spanish, coming from a very LARGE native american,they think I am spanish tends to amuse them quite a bit as well! :wink: So they get a laugh from me and I am always friendly, I take the time to say hello and smile, they go out of their way to give me good service, it ALWAYS works for me. So I may have been the guy who walked up to the bar while you were waiting, they saw me there and said "¿Hola cómo está usted hoy?" I politely responded "¿bueno y cómo es usted?" then "¿Puedo tener una cerveza por favor?" and guess what I got my drinks before you! :wink:

icyman:
You guys seem to be against All-Inclusives, I still disagree.
Nobody is trying to change your mind. I would never take an AI deal, neither would I stay way north or way south. But that's my druthers, and YMM certainly V.

The fact that you and I don't want the same things is a plus for me; we won't be competing for the same room reservations, tables at dinner, slots on a dive boat, even seats at the bar.

Salud!

I like Casa Del Mar. On last trip breakfast included and 20% discount on everything else(excluding happy hour). Not quite all inclusive. Was there for a week and total bar/food bill for 2 was 140 dollars. We ate 3-4 meals outside hotel. One group was doing it as all inclusive. If they give you one of the rooms facing parking lot, complain. They will move you to a room facing garden/ocean. We go through this dance every trip. We get stuck in a parking lot room. I go do checkout dive. My wife complains and we get moved to the better room by the time I get back from checkout dive. High speed internet connection(free) in lobby. Have stayed at other places but still prefer Casa Del Mar.

ggunn:
Nobody is trying to change your mind. I would never take an AI deal, neither would I stay way north or way south. But that's my druthers, and YMM certainly V.

The fact that you and I don't want the same things is a plus for me; we won't be competing for the same room reservations, tables at dinner, slots on a dive boat, even seats at the bar.

Salud!

Good point on the seats for the BAR! :06:

I go over the PDC to eat anyway!I love the Blue Lobster and I never get sick there or at a few other places there.

leiserom:
I like Casa Del Mar. On last trip breakfast included and 20% discount on everything else(excluding happy hour). Not quite all inclusive. Was there for a week and total bar/food bill for 2 was 140 dollars. We ate 3-4 meals outside hotel. One group was doing it as all inclusive. If they give you one of the rooms facing parking lot, complain. They will move you to a room facing garden/ocean. We go through this dance every trip. We get stuck in a parking lot room. I go do checkout dive. My wife complains and we get moved to the better room by the time I get back from checkout dive. High speed internet connection(free) in lobby. Have stayed at other places but still prefer Casa Del Mar.

Its a decent place but for me from Louisville it cost about 460 for airfare and around 75 per night at Casa Del Mar so I would spend around 575 for 7 nights that would cost me around 985 for the airfare and hotel, why do that when I can get an AI at Iberostar or Melia or any other AI for the same price. Its a very simple matter for me.

Do you get cheaper prices on airfare or the hotel than what I do?

If so where are you coming from, maybe I should look at alternative airlines etc. What was the All-Inclusive rate at Casa, I wasn't really aware they had AI.

Parrothead Diver made a great point here, the Dive OP is the most important thing to look at. As far as hotels I would look at www.tripadvisor.com for reviews. I always look at the worse, then the best and I have found most of the time you can ignore the worse because their are some REALLY picky people on tripadvisor. But it gives you an idea of what to expect.

icyman:
Do you get cheaper prices on airfare or the hotel than what I do?

Flying from Texas we do get cheaper rates, not cuz we are from Texas, but cuz were closer :wink: . I usually try and book through a charter like Funjet or ATUSA. I splurge on my dive op and everything else I look for the best deal. I'm there to dive not eat, sleep, or fly in comfort. I try and go several times a year as money allows so I try to fine tune the trip to suit me. Sorry leiserom didn't mean to speak for you :wink:

parrotheaddiver:
Flying from Texas we do get cheaper rates, not cuz we are from Texas, but cuz were closer :wink:

I just checked from Houston its about 900 bucks with everything for 7 nights, so its about 100 bucks cheaper. Maybe I should relocate, then my trips to Cozumel would be cheaper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom