Naked Dive for the 100th dive? Really?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My 100th was on the 10 month anniversary of my OW certification and it was on the P-38 wreck off Torrey Pines in San Diego. It was part of my Deep Diver certification and my log shows max depth 123' and 50f temp. 12 minutes on the bottom. Not naked.

I did see someone do their 100th naked last year on a liveaboard in the Similans. He wore a neoprene sock, so not 100% naked at the start, but after the sock fell off he was in compliance with the tradition.

I've heard of it but never seen it. We tease our divers approaching their 100th with this "tradition" but we don't actually encourage them to follow through, and none of my divers ever has. Keep in mind, though, that I live and work on an island where it's considered uncouth to walk down the street in just swimwear or to go without a shirt any time you're not in the water (even when riding a motorbike) and where local women (other than sex workers) select swimwear that covers their bodies halfway to the knees (sometimes with little lycra skirts over lycra shorts), so maybe this "tradition" is really "not suited" (haha) to this place. I guess it might take place here on low-budget boats that cater to the backpacker clientele who are really not much attuned to local mores and care primarily about their own good time.

Yep- it's been done but it isn't done on a regular basis. There are a few celebrations like u/w champagne, fish chum in the BCD pockets, the WarHammer maneuver, as well as a naked dive to celebrate achievements or haze the new recruits, or just plain disgust people.

I heard that PilotFish did this in Bonaire and had his clothes stolen while he was down, igniting his Ahab-like quest.

Can I like this more than once? Priceless!

I know very few who did their 100th dive naked here in SoCal. Maybe in the tropics. That was so long ago for me that I can't even remember #100, but I do know I didn't do it naked... didn't want to scare away the fish!

Am I the only one thinking that 'once-upon-a-time' this started out as "narked dive"... a deep dive to celebrate experience.... but somehow got lost in translation over time?

:wink:

Ah. A new scuba term:

"Stark narked"

So, what to do with a stark narked diver? Put him in a hospital gown real quick, and bring him up 30 feet?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom