Review Diving the Avelo System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gubbins -- the unknown insides of something; look at the gubbins inside that computer.

Amazingly it's not a rude word either!

From their video...
View attachment 827953
Walking across a beach, she not wearing trousers, so a warm water dive -- although judging by that beach, it's going to be a long walk!

Time for a weight table...
Conventional kitAvelo system
Harness + ali backplateConventional
3kg / 6.6lbs
Super lightweight
2kg / 4.4lbs
Wing (e.g. Halcyon Eclipse)2kg / 4.4lbsn/a
Regs2kg / 4.4lbs2kg / 4.4lbs
TankAli 80
14.5kg / 32lbs
Unknown!
Assume Faber 10 litre steel 300bar
15.5kg / 35lbs
Avelo gubbins (outer carbon cover, battery, bladder, pump, valves, hoses, controls, etc...)n/aUnknown!
Guess (low) at...
3kg / 6.6lbs
Total:​
21.5kg / 47lbs22.5kg / 50lbs
Here's the table where they came up with the weights.
avelo_weight_table.jpg

From the firsthand accounts that have been posted, Avelo requires at least 3 pounds of additional lead with a 3mm suit. So, assuming they are telling the truth about the rest of their system's weight, 40 pounds would be a no neoprene weight.

Now look at the "Amount of weight required" for standard gear. Their 70 pound number is based on a whopping 28 pounds of lead. Since we are talking about no wetsuit diving, I will suggest 12 pounds is a generous average even for a jacket BCD.

So we are now talking about 54 pounds versus 40. But why are we comparing Avelo versus the worst case in standard gear? A diver who is willing to accept non-conventional gear and additional training and can afford the higher rental costs for Avelo can certainly ditch the bulky fabric BCD for a backplate and compact wing. And pay a few extra bucks per dive to rent steel tanks. And pay a private instructor to help them dial in bouyancy, trim and weighting if needed.

My BP/W rig weighs slightly less than my old XL Zeagle Ranger and is 8 pounds less buoyant. The Avelo claims an "Equivalent tank size" of "80-106 cubic ft", but it's actually 80 because you can't fill it to max pressure at the surface and then add ballast to descend. So let's combine our BP/W with an HP80 to keep the amount of gas equal. That's another 5 pounds less lead required than the AL80 from the table and an additional 4 pounds of surface weight off.

The net result is that our "advanced" conventional rig weighs requires no additional lead and weighs 10% less than Avelo. It's also less expensive and far more flexible.

seems very innovative eager to see how it will develop in the future

Here's the table where they came up with the weights.
View attachment 827963

....Now look at the "Amount of weight required" for standard gear. Their 70 pound number is based on a whopping 28 pounds of lead.
That 14-28 lbs made me laugh out loud when I read that. A dive with no wet suit or a 1mil shorty (as pictured on their site), only weight I have is my 6 lbs SS BP.

Don't hold one instructor's bad attitude and ineloquence against the system or even against the training standard. I would say just hold that against the instructor, personally.
This isn't like walking into a random dive shop and having a so-so training experience due to the instructor's attitude or communication.

Given that the product has just launched, that the training is specific to the product, the cost & time of the training, and -- most importantly -- the extremely limited number of instructors....I'd say that the company holds primary responsibility for any complaints that students have about the instructor's demeanor and communication, with the instructor having lesser responsibility.

A full day of training, with a lot of classroom time, should be the time for Avelo to look stunning. If they didn't choose an excellent representative, in terms of their technical material, presentation skill, personality, etc., then that was Avelo's failure and they missed an easy opportunity to turn students into product evangelists.

That 14-28 lbs made me laugh out loud when I read that. A dive with no wet suit or a 1mil shorty (as pictured on their site), only weight I have is my 6 lbs SS BP.
Yep. The long training day for certification now makes sense. They are apparently assuming their market is trained-on-their-knees (and thus overweighted) OW divers who rent gear and have never advanced in their skills.

This isn't like walking into a random dive shop and having a so-so training experience due to the instructor's attitude or communication.

Given that the product has just launched, that the training is specific to the product, the cost & time of the training, and -- most importantly -- the extremely limited number of instructors....I'd say that the company holds primary responsibility for any complaints that students have about the instructor's demeanor and communication, with the instructor having lesser responsibility.

A full day of training, with a lot of classroom time, should be the time for Avelo to look stunning. If they didn't choose an excellent representative, in terms of their technical material, presentation skill, personality, etc., then that was Avelo's failure and they missed an easy opportunity to turn students into product evangelists.

Being the first to post about it in your Instagram circle isn't enough?

My only beef with the Avelo system is that very little if anything is known about the future of it. Will it be leased by dive centres, will it be bought by dive centres? There are only 4 places in the entire world where the Avelo is available for certification and rental. There are speculations on whether or not the company is looking to be bought by a major manufacturer. Meanwhile they're already working on an updated system.
Also I find the certification a bit steep at $700 US for e-learning and 2 dives. And that certification only serves you in 4 location worldwide. I hope that when this system becomes available across the board that the certification would drop in price and becomes worth it.

...I find the certification a bit steep at $700 US for e-learning and 2 dives...
At Dive Friends Bonaire, I paid $700 for the eLearning, the 2 dive certification and 2 additional guided dives the next day. Certification alone is $450. Dive Friends required 4 dives to independently rent Avelo equipment, which I did for one day, 3 dives, $110.

The prices vary somewhat depending on which Avelo Dive Center you use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom