Moderators posting, ethics and site Terms of Service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
halemanō;5709400:
If one of the purposes of an internet forum is learning, and a lowly member asks a "respected" moderator for links to the "studies" the moderator claims supports the moderators opinion, how is that an argument?

It's not about having the last word, it's about having a civil conversation. Here is a recent "civil" interaction;

I'm not the Mod in question, but maybe these links will help you feel better about the previously lacking answer:

Maui Sea: Maui Coral Reef Decline: the Kahekili Herbivore Fisheries Management Area

http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/pubs/ReefFishStocks.pdf

http://www.spc.int/DigitalLibrary/Doc/FAME/InfoBull/WIF/20/WIF20_23_Williams.pdf

Can we move past this now?

halemanō;5709494:
For some crazy reason, I thought that was the topic of this thread; Moderators posting, ethics and site Terms of Service :D

It is. You had an issue with how a moderator failed to respond to your post, and you found that arrogant. I guess I should have asked if you would have found it arrogant if the same posts were not made by a moderator?

Halemano -- I'd almost be sorry for how you have been so abused and mistreated by at least one mod -- almost. But since you write about how you have been so misunderstood and abused -- not to mention how you write that your primary purpose of writing is to make sure TRUTH WILL OUT (especially when it comes to Maui) -- a few responses:

Well, this is fun, isn't it? please quote where I "write about how I have been so misunderstood and abused." I personally do not remember ever typing such drivel, but I will await your proof...

a. I started diving in Maui in the late 60's (prior to your birth?) -- and I can tell you that MY LYING EYES prove to me there are fewer reef fish. OK, not a study.

As we have made a dive together I will take this as a compliment due to the fact that my second summer of diving was the "summer of love." You ain't kidding about those lying eyes...

b. You wrote: This non-response is, apparently, the object of your ire and your prime example of abuse.

How's your reading comprehension? I quoted Diver0001 and then gave what I considered an example of what Diver0001 typed. I am still wondering why people keep saying I claimed anything having to do with abuse...

BUT, you also wrote: This is, you go on to write, "The Big Lie" pushed by the abusing mod on the poor Maui instructor who stands (and writes) for TRUTH on SB.

This is all petty grand standing as far as I'm concerned...

OK, let's take a look at what that poor Mod wrote:

a. First statement is that of the Mod's observation that in five years, the number of fish seen at Molokini Crater is declining. This IS a statement of fact -- the Moderator is stating seeing fewer fish over a five year period at the Crater.

I will agree to agree that "Each year we have gone, there seem to be fewer fish and more dead coral" is in fact an opinion based on non-scientific observation. If one's first dives at Molokini are very early in one's diving career, can those observations be directly compared to the observations of a highly trained diver 5 years later?

b. Second statement is that there are studies of reef fish off of Maui showing declining populations. Note -- there is no specific reference to Molokini in this statement.

It is all in the same paragraph; fish and coral "seem" to be declining at Molokini, shore diving is just as good, I'm not the only one, "fish studies" support my "claims"....

The only study of Molokini shows stable coral cover, studies show the shore dive sites are in decline, how does this support the claims???

Now, HM, for another quote from ONE WHO WRITES ONLY THE TRUTH:

Hmmm, is there, perhaps, some problem with Halemano's ability to comprehend a post? (And did I mention the Mod wrote about the study AFTER a sentence referring to shore diving off Maui?)

Oh, and here is some more food for thought:

Yes, here is some more food for thought; I would love for you to please post some more of what you consider to be examples of my problems comprehending posts...

So, what do we really have here from Halemano:

a. An inability to comprehend the English language.

b. An arrogance of belief that only HE "Knows The Truth" and can spread The Word on SB.

c. A lack of knowledge of the subject matter at hand.

d. A general lack of charm -- and who knows what else.

HM -- feel free to put me on ignore as I am NOT a mod. Me, I tend to at least glance through your posts (at least on threads of general interest to me) if for no other reason than to see what BS you are spewing next!

I have no intention of putting either of you on ignore; another of my main reasons for coming to SB is the entertainment and you are definitely among the most entertaining members.

As far as your little "name calling" list, I am begging everyone to please not report your post because then this post would not exist. You weren't perchance near a mirror when you typed that last part, were you???
:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Last edited:
It is. You had an issue with how a moderator failed to respond to your post, and you found that arrogant. I guess I should have asked if you would have found it arrogant if the same posts were not made by a moderator?

that would depend on the member; some might just be ignorant in my opinion. :idk:

Fortunately, there is a cure for ignorance; stupidity tends to be permanent.

I posted an example of "unresolved misunderstanding" that easily could have resulted in my feeling a mod is arrogant. If I already felt that way, the lack of answer had no significant impact on my feelings.

Do any of those links show "studies" of Molokini? The second link caused my other laptop to freeze up and I am loath to try the third.

Kahekili is a really long ways away from Molokini. Maalaea Bay is pretty far from Molokini. Fishing is not allowed at Molokini so I seriously doubt Molokini is part of a "fishing reserves" study. Molokini is an isolated ecosystem, protected specifically for snorkeling and diving. The success of Molokini's protection is a shining example of "recreational conservation."

A moderator that many members "listen to" with baited breath makes negative statements about Molokini and then "claims" "fish studies" back up that opinion. I am such a bad person for asking to see the studies. :idk:

halemanō;5709641:
I posted an example of "unresolved misunderstanding" that easily could have resulted in my feeling a mod is arrogant. If I already felt that way, the lack of answer had no significant impact on my feelings.

Do any of those links show "studies" of Molokini? The second link caused my other laptop to freeze up and I am loath to try the third.

The comment you're objecting to said

There are studies of reef fish off Maui that show exactly what I am talking about.

There was never a claim of studies of Molokini, only Maui. They comments about Molokini and Maui appear to be two separate thoughts.

halemanō;5709641:
I am such a bad person for asking to see the studies. :idk:

Why not be part of the solution by providing studies that prove the poster was wrong, rather than try to win in an argument? Seems that way you can have your cake and eat it too, even if he doesn't ever reply. Win-win?

It's sad . . . five years ago, when I first dove Molokini crater, it was like being in the bottom of God's kaleidoscope. Each year we have gone, there seem to be fewer fish and more dead coral, and now we no longer bother to go out there. The shore diving is just as good, and far less expensive. Oh, and BTW, it's not me getting jaded. There are studies of reef fish off Maui that show exactly what I am talking about.

I am still unable to see that "there are studies of reef fish off Maui that show exactly what I'm talking about."

"seem to be fewer fish and more dead coral (at Molokini)"

I have searched for a study that shows this and I have had no success.

"the shore diving is just as good"

Shore diving Maui is very different from boat diving Molokini. There are many who express strong opinions about which is better, but if the studies show shore sites declining and show Molokini as stable, how does that show "shore diving is just as good?"

:confused:

halemanō;5709666:
I am still unable to see that "there are studies of reef fish off Maui that show exactly what I'm talking about."

"seem to be fewer fish and more dead coral (at Molokini)"

I have searched for a study that shows this and I have had no success.

"the shore diving is just as good"
I'll explain one last time and then you can include me in the list ignoring your comments:

"seem to be fewer fish and more dead coral (at Molokini)" was a personal observation.

"studies of reef fish of Maui" referenced a study of reef fish off of Maui.

These are two completely separate statements. There was never a claim made that there was a study done of Molokini.

I guess I'm just dense because I can't see the mountain for the molehill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom