Moderators posting, ethics and site Terms of Service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not be part of the solution by providing studies that prove the poster was wrong, rather than try to win in an argument? Seems that way you can have your cake and eat it too, even if he doesn't ever reply. Win-win?

If you look at my first post in this thread, in my quote of my post from the "old" thread, I provided the link for the study that pretty much proved the poster was wrong. There was no argument in that thread! :idk:

Status of Maui’s Coral Reefs:
Coral Status and Trends:
• Coral cover in 2006 ranged from 74% at
Molokini to <10% at 4 sites: Honolua
(9%), Puamana (8%), Maalaea (8%),
and Kanahena Pt (6%).
• Coral cover increased at only 1 reef
(Kanahena Bay, 17% to 30%),
remained stable (<5% change), at 3
reefs (Molokini, Papaula Point, and
Puamana), and declined at 5 reefs,
most dramatically at Honolua (42% to
9%) and at Kahekili (55% to 33%).

Reefs with abundant herbivorous fishes, such as those
in the Honolua and Molokini MLCDs, have little or no
invasive algae present, whereas reefs with depleted
herbivore populations (e.g. Maalaea) are severely
overgrown by algae.

Don't any of you see that I successfully represented the "unresolved misunderstanding" that Diver0001 typed about? Is it a forest or is it just kelp? :shakehead:

We've drifted a long way from the topic at hand and now seem to be giving an in-depth look at the frustration that one user has about not winning an argument with another user.

Yes... another "user". I would like to remind people once again that unless moderators post

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

using the mod brackets

then they are posting as "one of the crowd" and should neither be handled nor seen any differently than any other user.

To be honest I don't know who was right about how many fish there are in Maui and I don't think it matters. What matters is that users sometimes get into arguments that end in, "yes it is...no it isn't" exchanges of standpoints. Sometimes these are supported by facts, sometimes they are not.

The point is, with respect to this thread, is that moderators are not selected because they are "experts" in any particular field. Neither is any other user on this board. When a discussion happens and someone (a user) who also happens to be a moderator expresses an opinion you disagree with then feel free to go in the "clinch" with him and debate it. Moderators have no special status or special privileges when posting in the role of normal users.

That's how it is, and I hope if you read this that you will understand the role better and "relax" when debating things with users who happen to also be moderators.

R..

Yes... another "user". I would like to remind people once again that unless moderators post

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

using the mod brackets

then they are posting as "one of the crowd" and should neither be handled nor seen any differently than any other user.

I appreciate what you are saying, but I am not sure that I agree. People will always expect more from those entrusted with greater responsibilities. What might be freedom of speech for one person, is inappropriate comment for someone in a position of authority. That is why it is newsworthy when people like judges or senior police officers say silly things. Mods should demonstrate through their actions that they are worthy of the trust placed in them.

I appreciate what you are saying, but I am not sure that I agree. People will always expect more from those entrusted with greater responsibilities. What might be freedom of speech for one person, is inappropriate comment for someone in a position of authority. That is why it is newsworthy when people like judges or senior police officers say silly things. Mods should demonstrate through their actions that they are worthy of the trust placed in them.

The thing that some seem to forget is that mods are people too. Granted, they are usually chosen because they've demonstrated certain desirable qualities, but at the end of the day they're still human and as such, well sometimes frustration shows through or they say silly things.

No one is perfect 100% of the time no matter how hard we try. *However* if it starts to become a pattern with any particular staff member, the community has a responsibility to point it out so that it can be reviewed.

I appreciate what you're saying but moderators on an internet website are not judges, police officers, politicians, heads of industry, superstars, generals or astronauts (although many of us would like to have been the last).

At most, we can be seen as "role models", which I guess is what you're trying to say. I do personally believe that moderators *do* act as role models in many cases. That does not, however, make them perfect.

It makes them, at best, users with a level head.... at least most of the time. That's how they're selected and despite that some people have other expectations, this is the only expectation that I would call "realistic".

R..

...People will always expect more from those entrusted with greater responsibilities. What might be freedom of speech for one person, is inappropriate comment for someone in a position of authority. That is why it is newsworthy when people like judges or senior police officers say silly things. Mods should demonstrate through their actions that they are worthy of the trust placed in them.
That's true. And that's why Mods tend to be moderated more frequently and more tightly than non-mods. We may not catch them all, but usually if one of us (Mods) posts something inappropriate it is pulled quickly, and seen by very few. If it happens often the Mod will either resign to regain the freedom they feel they need, or be "reassigned." On one occasion that I can remember a Mod went directly from Mod to permanently banned. Over the years I've seen pretty much the range of possible Mods, and in my opinion our current crop is, to a man/woman, doing their very best to be even-handed and fair in their duties as Mods. But even then, even with all the review process and genuine "good intentions" there will be the occasional injustice or mistake. It helps to remember that even the Supreme Court, with all their high-dollar resources (Mods have only what they already have) issues lots of 5-4 decisions, some of which are - in my opinion - flat wrong :)
Rick

Agreed. That and :rofl3:.

However, since all the mods are posting in here, who's left to clean up the mess? :popcorn:

That's true. And that's why Mods tend to be moderated more frequently and more tightly than non-mods. We may not catch them all, but usually if one of us (Mods) posts something inappropriate it is pulled quickly, and seen by very few. If it happens often the Mod will either resign to regain the freedom they feel they need, or be "reassigned." On one occasion that I can remember a Mod went directly from Mod to permanently banned. Over the years I've seen pretty much the range of possible Mods, and in my opinion our current crop is, to a man/woman, doing their very best to be even-handed and fair in their duties as Mods. But even then, even with all the review process and genuine "good intentions" there will be the occasional injustice or mistake. It helps to remember that even the Supreme Court, with all their high-dollar resources (Mods have only what they already have) issues lots of 5-4 decisions, some of which are - in my opinion - flat wrong :)
Rick

:thumb: Well said, sir! :clapping:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom