Moderators posting, ethics and site Terms of Service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drewski

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
*** Mod Post ***
*By Devondiver*

Following an off-topic debate that has arisen in a different thread, I have moved some items of discussion/feedback into this thread for further discussion.

Please note: Personal attacks, trolling, flaming, insults or profane language will not be tolerated.

*** Mod Post ***
*By Devondiver*

Last edited by a moderator:
REALLY, "Ja Ja"?

Are you trying to turn the screw here?

Outstanding moderation of this post. Really makes me wonder sometimes who makes decisions concerning moderation.

PLEASE, post some more because I'm in the mood tonight. I'd be happy to bring it.

:D

OMG, can't y'all just stop! :shakehead:

OMG, can't y'all just stop! :shakehead:

Sure, just as soon as the "MODERATOR" learns not to BUST on people who genuinely try to share learning moments. If you don't stand up for the people who TRY, you stand with no one. Especially when the individual making the comment represents this forum.

In case you forgot, look up the definition of "moderator."

Please direct your comments at the "moderator." Not at me.

DON'T - and I mean DON'T - come on as a Scuba Board "MODERATOR" with an attitude and belittle posters who already know what they did was wrong. Especially when they ask - nicely - for you not to.

You want to do that kind of posting, well, it's your right. Poor behavior, but it's a right.

But when you do it as a MODERATOR, don't expect me to sit back and take it, because I WON'T.

Thanks...

Come on, pay attention, there's really no excuse

It's NOT about excuses, it's about the behavior of a MODERATOR.

There was a time when this forum wasn't like this and folks were genuinely supportive of one another. Now, it seems to be more about cheap shots and who can best who.

For what purpose? A learning moment? Oh, that works well.

I'm going to tell y'all something. EVERYBODY - and I mean EVERYBODY - has moments of stupidity when diving, including ME. You share, analyze, learn and improve so you WON'T do it again, IF you live through it. It's NOT if it will happen, it's WHEN it will happen. Ask one of the other Moderators in this thread, she recently had one and lived to share it. Both Sheck Exley and Wes Skiles, unfortunately, weren't so lucky. Are you going to ask what their excuses were?

So, please, DON'T tell me that if you KNOW what you are doing it CAN'T and WON'T happen. It CAN, and to the very best people.

When a MODERATOR in this forum takes one of those CHEAP shots, what they really are doing is discouraging others to share and learn. That's INEXCUSABLE because that's NOT why Scuba Board is here. It's immature, degrading and a sad comment about the attitude of this diving community.

Nothing ticks me off more...

<snip>

When a MODERATOR in this forum takes one of those CHEAP shots, what they really are doing is discouraging others to share and learn. That's INEXCUSABLE because that's NOT why Scuba Board is here. It's immature, degrading and a sad comment about the attitude of this diving community.

It ticks me off a lot too. On another thread recently I was actually sufficiently annoyed that I lodged a formal appeal (bet you didn't know SB had an appeal process, did you?) against what I thought was some pretty inappropriate moderation. Sadly, I never even got a reply. So I guess maybe that means we don't have an appeals process.

:focus:

Exactly!! There are select few active posters (and shamefully at least one Moderator) who act like sharks waiting for the first drop of blood in the water so they can pounce and show off. Quite a few people have learned from this guys mistake and only because he had the guts to do the diving community a favor and post it. This kind of honesty saves lives. How many other people have been scared off from posting their mistakes for others to learn from because of the attitude displayed by the SB cyber-sharks.

So let me get this straight;

1. He wen't into unplanned deco
2. Sounds like he wasn't really near his buddy but went back down to her
3. Instead of telling his buddy to surface and getting his wife mad at him he decided he would stay and film her playing with a stingray farther increasing his and her deco and danger and ended up doing 21 minutes or something? (Wow that's really bad, how do you get into 20+ minutes of unplanned deco?)
4. He ran out of gas with 5 minutes of deco left.
5. It sound's like his wife's situational awareness is non existant and I truly feel that she should stop diving!
6. He's an instructor doing these things??? Will this happen with a student?
:confused:

That's pretty scary, and then you're demeaning Jah Jah for calling him out on it? What's happened to ScubaBoard? This is the Advanced forum, not the Basic nor the New Diver.

And, that's all fine and I agree. I'm sure he LEARNED from it.

But DON'T - and I mean DON'T - come on as a Scuba Board "MODERATOR" with that kind of attitude and belittle posters who already know what they did was wrong. Especially when they ask - nicely - for you not to.

You want to do that kind of posting, well, it's your right. Poor behavior, but it's a right.

But when you do it as a MODERATOR, don't expect me to sit back and take it, because I WON'T.

Thanks...
caps lock. this guy means business.

So let me get this straight;

1. He wen't into unplanned deco
2. Sounds like he wasn't really near his buddy but went back down to her
3. Instead of telling his buddy to surface and getting his wife mad at him he decided he would stay and film her playing with a stingray farther increasing his and her deco and danger and ended up doing 21 minutes or something? (Wow that's really bad, how do you get into 20+ minutes of unplanned deco?)
4. He ran out of gas with 5 minutes of deco left.
5. It sound's like his wife's situational awareness is non existant and I truly feel that she should stop diving!
6. He's an instructor doing these things??? Will this happen with a student?
:confused:

That's pretty scary, and then you're demeaning Jah Jah for calling him out on it? What's happened to ScubaBoard? This is the Advanced forum, not the Basic nor the New Diver.

Shhhhhh. All you normal divers out there. Here you have a couple of average specimens of the creature I mentioned above...the rare, but noisy, "cybersharkius Godsgiftius IBeperfectius".

Very distinct characteristics and predictable behavior
-It does all of its hunting on-line
-It only eats other divers less experienced than itself
-It's a pack hunter (helps with its natural lack of courage)
-Note the high hundreds or even thousands of SB posts
-It has lost touch with the average diver
-It erroneously thinks that others value its rude opinions
-It is the king of Monday morning quarterbacking and pretends it has never made a mistake

You cyber sharks, It's called a mistake, and you're way out of line generalizing this to represent their entire dive career. You are adding nothing of value to this discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom