There is something wrong with the site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pauldw

Contributor
Reaction score
It seems like many SB threads I'm reading lately are devolving into people backing up their dump trucks to drop a pile on each other. Now, I'm all for free speech, against censorship, and don't mind an entertaining flame war. But this has become nuts. The number of personal attacks is astounding. Direct, personal attacks, unlike anything I can remember on SB for years. Calling people stupid, or a liar. And it's mostly by people who have been on awhile, who are usually respectable. I suggested in one thread that folks should mellow out, and one of the worst offenders in that thread (not normally an agitator) agreed with me. Are people not even seeing that they're part of the problem? Come on, people. Be gentlemen!* "Lack of candor" or "economical with the truth" is better than "lying," although neither should be necessary. If you're trying to be funny, something like "Are there no gaps in your ignorance?" might at least be entertaining; "How dumb are you?" is not. So many posts where people just straight out insult people in the most blunt, gauche manner. Would your mom tolerate this language? STOP IT!

*Yes, I know there are women here. But they are only very rarely the problem.

It seems like many SB threads I'm reading lately are devolving into people backing up their dump trucks to drop a pile on each other. Now, I'm all for free speech, against censorship, and don't mind an entertaining flame war. But this has become nuts. The number of personal attacks is astounding. Direct, personal attacks, unlike anything I can remember on SB for years. Calling people stupid, or a liar. And it's mostly by people who have been on awhile, who are usually respectable. I suggested in one thread that folks should mellow out, and one of the worst offenders in that thread (not normally an agitator) agreed with me. Are people not even seeing that they're part of the problem? Come on, people. Be gentlemen!* "Lack of candor" or "economical with the truth" is better than "lying," although neither should be necessary. If you're trying to be funny, something like "Are there no gaps in your ignorance?" might at least be entertaining; "How dumb are you?" is not. So many posts where people just straight out insult people in the most blunt, gauche manner. Would your mom tolerate this language? STOP IT!

Did you report the offending posts?

I do not know if I am thicker skinned or better at ignoring ignorant posts, but I have not noticed the change you are describing. I am all for "be kind to each other". I agree with @Bob DBF , if you see an offending post - report it. Mods do pretty good job at following up.
However, blanket statements like yours - accusing the entire board, usually are less helpful.

@pauldw

I share your observations and rarely log on anymore.

I think site traffic has become more valuable than accuracy and diplomacy.

I'm on another global forum with a truly wide variety of people and we almost never have problems. It's not perfect but I can't recall the last time people got into a pointless bickering match like I see here all the time.

Freedom of speech shouldn't be construed as freedom from responsibility or license to be uncivil.

I agree with @Bob DBF , if you see an offending post - report it. Mods do pretty good job at following up.
Reporting involves mods. Not very interested in that. Just encouraging people to not call names. We can argue about things without beginning or ending our posts by commenting on people's intelligent or honesty.

However, blanket statements like yours - accusing the entire board, usually are less helpful.
I don't think I did that. But I have said what I said, and I say no more.

I don’t contribute much here but I’ve been lurking and reading for years. I share the OPs impression - so many otherwise interesting threads devolve into tedious personal bickering. I enjoy a frank exchange of views but it’s getting really tiresome. I don’t report posts because being rude or a disingenuous bore at any given moment might not be a “crime”, but the sum of it maybe should be…

There's nothing wrong with the site, but there's certainly something wrong with some individuals who post in it.

It appears that politeness has gone our of the window once someone disagrees with another person's point of view.

Speaking with my MOD hat on now, we can't track every post, there's only a handful of us and unless someone reports "bad behaviour" then we really are unaware of it.

Some posters are walking on thin ice!

MOD hat off

If people can't be civil to one another God help us all (and I'm an atheist)!

I don’t report posts because being rude or a disingenuous bore at any given moment might not be a “crime”, but the sum of it maybe should be…

It isn't a crime to be reported, and it usually it's a matter of folks being reminded of where the boundaries are, for them to change their behavior. This board was more contentious when I came aboard, so I guess the system works when used. I don't believe very many have been banned over that time for continually breaking the TOS, but it doesn't take many to change the demeanor of the board.

I've had reminders from the mods, but it's because I have a tendency to define on topic more broadly than necessary. We're all still friends after, it's not a big deal unless I can't learn.

Things happen in waves, including our personal tolerance for outliers. I've been a bit MIA due to personal circumstances, but I do try to lead by setting an example. When others bicker, I report rather than try to stop the bickering in public. No, I'm not perfect, not by a long stretch, and the mods sometimes reign me in as well.

In other words, you'll get out whatever you put into the site, be it here or elsewhere. Nice begets nice and stupid does much the same. Be nice. Show respect. Ignore those who seem to grate against your nerves and in the end: be nice. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom