Why is becoming a DM considered not worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course. Just saying that one shouldn't need the DM course to become a better diver. You should already be a better diver before taking the course.
Yes, I understand and partially agree to that.
BUT to become a better dives you have to get more dives. Diving costs money, and overall you would spend probably a bit more just doing fun dives. If I have the time, to me it makes sense choosing the DMT so that I can get the dives in AND learn something more, getting an actual life experience, for the same or less money.

Not the first time you have said this, Tom, and in a perfect world I agree everyone would enter the DM course with top-notch dive skills, ready to learn how to lead dives and otherwise begin the journey down the "dive professional" path. But we know it doesn't work that way in the real world. People take the DM course because it's shown on the training agency's chart as the next real rung on the ladder, dive ops happily sign people up for it and, when done using the internship/trainee option, it's seen as a way to have fun for a month or more in tropical paradise with a bunch of like-minded people while diving a lot. It's just the way it is.
Yes, unfortunately that is the way it is.

BUT to become a better dives you have to get more dives. Diving costs money, and overall you would spend probably a bit more just doing fun dives. If I have the time, to me it makes sense choosing the DMT so that I can get the dives in AND learn something more, getting an actual life experience, for the same or less money.
Yes, but ideally those dives to become a better diver should take place before signing up for a DM course. My experience during the course didn't include the instructor doing anything in particular to help me improve my actual diving, but we concentrated on demonstrating skills, supervising students, teaching skills, etc.-- the teaching aspect. As far as diving costing so much money, it doesn't if you do a lot of shore diving. Costs air and some gas for the car, depending on how far you drive to the sites.

Diving needing liability insurance is pretty expensive.

Not quite sure exactly what you're saying there but it brings up another important point that I didn't consider when I was undergoing an interview to be a DiveMaster.

If there's an accident and subsequent lawsuit, every crew person is a potential defendant. And if the insurance is nonexistent, insufficient or not applicable then a potentially innocent DM is hanging his or head out.

I've got a good amount of assets and nothing is worth that sort of risk.

In your case, you also got a social life, which is easier when taking a DM course than solo traveling to dive.

That said, to become a really good diver, you also need to dive in many different conditions. By that I mean, at some point move on. Catch some wild currents, rough surface conditions, schooling sharks, etc.

I'm also not sure what you mean. If you're talking about the cost of insurance for a working DM, mine was something like $150 Canadian a year (a little more than a full tank of gas here....). If you're talking about insurance as a diver you either get it or you don't.

I'm also not sure what you mean. If you're talking about the cost of insurance for a working DM, mine was something like $150 Canadian a year (a little more than a full tank of gas here....). If you're talking about insurance as a diver you either get it or you don't.
It was ore expensive when I looked, also to get adequate coverage for my assets was cost prohibiting. A lot of risk for little reward.

it's seen as a way to have fun for a month or more in tropical paradise with a bunch of like-minded people while diving a lot.
I'm trying to figure out why this is a bad thing.

Also, I was very proud when I became a DM. I was not told, and did not think, I was suddenly a "better diver." What I was was a better instructional assistant, dive guide, buddy, and all-round scuba helper. I had more confidence in my abilities to be observant, to have situational awareness, and help out where needed. Those things DID make me a better diver, I believe, but were not related to some egocentric goal of holding a perfect stop in perfect trim.

Back
Top Bottom