There is something wrong with the site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see a lot of bickering (in which I have sadly participated) as arising from an inept/inappropriate application of Tit-For-Tat. Three examples:
  • Someone tries to make a joke, but it is not perceived as such, and it provokes a Tit-for-Tat response, which then escalates. Solution? Use smileys or something to indicate you are joking.
  • Someone posits some nonsense, and it is called out as such, but without any tact. The return volley is also without tact, and the game is on.
  • Someone asks a question, but as they engage with the responses it is clear they did not really have a question but actually wanted some support for their position/opinion. They do not respond well to those who disagree, and the game is on.

I see a lot of bickering (in which I have sadly participated) as arising from an inept/inappropriate application of Tit-For-Tat. Three examples:
  • Someone tries to make a joke, but it is not perceived as such, and it provokes a Tit-for-Tat response, which then escalates. Solution? Use smileys or something to indicate you are joking.
  • Someone posits some nonsense, and it is called out as such, but without any tact. The return volley is also without tact, and the game is on.
  • Someone asks a question, but as they engage with the responses it is clear they did not really have a question but actually wanted some support for their position/opinion. They do not respond well to those who disagree, and the game is on.
1659803133094.png

I see what the OP is getting at......... I also know and admit that on occasion I have been guilty of letting my emotions get the better of me. It seems that the most common offenders are folks with THOUSANDS of posts who have for some reason self declared themselves as being expert pontificators simply on the basis that they have thousands of posts.

What really cracks me up is when one of these "experts" feels the need to announce on a thread that they will be ignoring the thread moving forward........ or that they are going to put you on their "ignore list" ................which is like calling your girlfriend or boyfriend to tell her them you're not going to call anymore... Like anyone cares!

Comments like...... "hey....you may want to consider.............." are always going to be a lot more productive than comments like " You're an idiot and are going to die".....

What really cracks me up is when one of these "experts" feels the need to announce on a thread that they will be ignoring the thread moving forward........ or that they are going to put you on their "ignore list" .............

And yet they inevitably return.

Do people on my ignore list know that I am ignoring them?

To me it's more of a society is broken. The good ole days of being able to pick and someone pick back or have adult conversations without someone's feelings getting hurt are over in most all environments today. Also with the rise of social media as big as it is the good ole fashion throat punch has fell by the waste side and people feel they don't need to treat people with respect because that's how they go through life without consequences.

I agree with the OP. I think it is a reflection of the way our politicians behave these days. I'm am old guy, and my observation is that political debate has turned into a cesspool of personal attack and conspiratorial ad hominems rather than polite discussion of points of view, much more so than in former times. Unfortunately, politicians are in constant view by the public resulting in some individuals adopting their behavior as acceptable debate. Impressionable children seem to be learning from the the daily lesson of the political diatribe:(

If you read something inappropriate, please report it. Inappropriate writings does not include civil discussions where there is respectful disagreements. Uncivil disagreements are not tolerated. There are a fair number of moderators. But we cannot read every message posted and rely on members to report poor form.

Thank you for being a member of ScubaBoard.

I have been guilty of letting my emotions get the better of me.
Indeed. Scuba is a passionate sport. You don't spend this amount of money on something you aren't passionate about. When someone snubs your gear, your training agency, or dive philosophy, it feels that they are attacking YOU! We really don't have a lot of trolls on SB, except in the Pub. We do have a large number of people who can't believe the entire would disagree with their PoV. To their mind, you'd have to be a troll or bot to disagree with them.

It's important to leave the ad hominem out. I've seen really great divers have a dumb moment. One of my favorite peeps, a brilliant lawyer at that, had the temerity to suggest that since water is heavy, that we should use it instead of lead. Hilarity ensued and he was really a great sport about it. Don't worry, I won't tell you it was @H2Andy. :D So, he had a senior moment. A lapse of judgment. A moment of dumb. I would dive with that man just about anywhere and I consider him one of the wisest people I have ever known... and that's in spite of him being a lawyer!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom