Merino, really?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdiver68

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
As I'm looking at different exposure suit options, I'm intrigued by the possibility of a layering "system" that helps preclude the need for various weight suits. I'm looking for a system good from 55 F+.

As part of my search and because of the way they fit my proportions, I've come across Pinnacle's Merino lined offerings. Now I'm a big proponent of Merino/Synthetic/Mixed base layers as a couple of my other avocations have required warmth with minimal bulk. Part of my collection includes various weight 100% Merino base layers from SmartWool. Love Merino for that use.

I know a large part of the reason Merino works is its wicking capability. I found some evidence that Merino is warm even while wet, albeit from a wool association:

iMerino :: Warmth

I've also read various reviews saying the Merino in these suits does not seem to be helpful.

So, as I continue my research I thought I'd open a thread to get the voice of experience. My thought would be to pair a layer of microweight Smartwool base layer with a 5mm Suit with Hood, Torso/Vest/Core Warmer, and gloves giving me options in all temps 55 F+.

Thanks for reading and please add your experience :meeting:

Last edited:
My wife and I have many Pinnacle suits some with merino and some with out. You really can feel the difference with the wool. The shops say it adds as much as 2mm but 1mm sounds right to me, so a 5mm becomes a 6mm. Before the dry suit in cold water I would use a 3mm shorty then a 5mm merino suit, 5mm merino hood, boots and gloves. Under this I had a rash guard and shorts on. After 40 min at that temp I started to get cold. The second dive was even worse.

If you have the extra money look into a dry suit. I can't tell you how nice they are and have no plans on getting the 5mm out this season. :D

I believe it is a bit warmer than my same thickness Gold Core, but the GC was older. I'm not sure that it is not attributable to the added insulation out of the water before and after dives. While others are getting out of their wet wetsuits during the SI, I'm quite comfortable in my ME.

Drysuit. By the time you have purchased all the bits and pieces to create a comprehensive wet suit system, you have spent a drysuit budget. One thing that no wetsuit can ever do is make the post dive comfprtable on a cool/cold day. Go to any popular dive site in september/october and look at the wetsuit divers shivering and the drysuit divers contemplating their next dive. Go there in January/februalry and look at the drysuit divers still having fun and try to find a wetsuit diver.

I do not know if the wool thing is a gimick or not but nearly all the divers I know who utilize the suits love them and even trade down in thickness due to the warmth they provide.

I have been using pinnacle's 4mm Merino/kevlar gloves for freediving & spearfishing for a couple years now. very impressed, they are easily as warm as my 5mm gloves, but with less bulk. being kevlar gloves they let water in through the stitching in places, which is a bit annoying, but still very happy with them.

Drysuit. By the time you have purchased all the bits and pieces to create a comprehensive wet suit system, you have spent a drysuit budget. One thing that no wetsuit can ever do is make the post dive comfprtable on a cool/cold day. Go to any popular dive site in september/october and look at the wetsuit divers shivering and the drysuit divers contemplating their next dive. Go there in January/februalry and look at the drysuit divers still having fun and try to find a wetsuit diver.

Yes, a dry suit would be fabulous! Since I live in the Mid-West, I know it would extend my outdoor season. However, with Bonne Terre only an hour from here, I do have a local 58 degree F winter option.

Given that my proposed solution runs around $500 (with topside reuse of the base layer) and dry suits much more, is there really a quality drysuit option anywhere close to that? Particularly since I'll still need a wet suit? :idk:

My focus here is on does Merino really seem to work underwater?

Last edited:
My focus here is on does Merino really seem to work?

in my capacity as a hunting guide I use Merino Socks, long undies, and a sweater. yes it works, and works well. very soft and warm.

I remember reading a post recently about someone who loved Merino but now thinks otherwise. They stated that like Merino loses more insulating properties than neoprene at depth. At shallower depths you may be warmer with Merino, but not necessarily on deeper dives.

You're talking about adding a base layer under a wetsuit so I have no idea on how that would work out but compression would still be a factor.

The wool thing is NOT a gimmick. The US Army still issues wool for the very reason that whether wet or dry, it keeps you warm. Cannot speak to the actual suit, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom