REI for Smartwool base layer for drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use Smartwool 250gr base layers as well as the Fourth Element J2s. I owned the Smartwools as they were my range thermals in colder weather (I was on the range all year long in Dallas).

They work, but they aren't as tight so I have to make sure that they don't ride up when putting on my insulating layers. Also they don't wick as quickly and will hold a bit more water, which is great in warm water where I am just wearing the base layers, but I prefer the J2s in colder water.

I recently bought a 250gr merino wool top on Amazon from a company called Meriwool. I just test fit it, but it seems to be about as comfortable as the Smartwool top it is replacing due to a moth hole.

I've tried both Smartwool and Meriwool, they're both warm and comfortable. Honestly, I can barely tell the difference, but the Meriwools run about half the price. I've accumulated a few each of the 250gsm tops and the bottoms, the 400gsm is a little thicker than I need for diving, even on a cold day, but they're good for snow sports.

Cool beans. Thanks for the links on the Meriwool. For the price of one piece from Smartwook I can get both from Meriwool.

The base layer stuff I have now is synthetic based, like the Under Armor cold wear. But I’m looking to the wood base as it still has insulating properties when wet.

Yep, I got my Smart Wool 250g tops and bottoms from REI. Waited for the annual big sale and got them for 30% off. I use the basic REI brand polypro base layer from REI, too. Also on sale.

I use the ll bean stuff essentially the exact same.

I think what you buy will be determined by how sensitive your skin is to itchy wool. A friend has some cheapo stuff from Amazon. He let me tough it. Scratchy as hell. The Smart Wool is soft enough to not irritate my skin. It’s the first wool ever I’ve been able to wear. So the Smart Wool is worth every penny in my book.

I was told by my LDS that the drysuit specific undergarments are preferred to traditional base layers because, while both will wick moisture away from the skin, the drysuit specific won't trap air and won't puff out, whereas the traditional base layers will.

Is this true? Does it matter? Or is it just a tactic to sell more gear?

Mods - I'm not trying to hijack this thread. If it should be it's own thread, please move it appropriately.

I was told by my LDS that the drysuit specific undergarments are preferred to traditional base layers because, while both will wick moisture away from the skin, the drysuit specific won't trap air and won't puff out, whereas the traditional base layers will.

Mods - I'm not trying to hijack this thread. If it should be it's own thread, please move it appropriately.

With base layers that's bull. Some element of truth if talking about undergarment.

#textile engineer, your LDS is full of ****, probably spewing some nonsense that they are told to from the guys making said undergarments. This stuff is all knit yarns, there is no puffing out or whatever other nonsense they're spewing. There has been a LOT more R&D done for skiing undergarments than there has for drysuits, and even more into the military applications. Pay attention to the fiber blends, the more wool the better, and buy high quality undergarments and you're good to go. What's funny is them saying that drysuit won't trap air and won't puff out, that's exactly what you want them to do because trapped air=warmth, literally insulation 101

to @Thunder Struck the one thing to keep in mind is that if your suit is fairly tight and/or you don't have layers on top of them you may want to make some slight modifications to keep them from bunching. Most of the good drysuit layers will have stirrups, crotch strap, and thumb loops to prevent them from riding up when you're putting the suit on or during use *crotch strap in particular*.

Back
Top Bottom