Merino, really?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Whites Fusion is a great, relatively low cost drysuit (not $500, but you can probably get one for not much more than $1000)

As for still needing a wetsuit, a carribean weight suit, maybe, but I plan to take my fusion on my next warm trip.

The Whites Fusion is a great, relatively low cost drysuit (not $500, but you can probably get one for not much more than $1000)

As for still needing a wetsuit, a carribean weight suit, maybe, but I plan to take my fusion on my next warm trip.

Why would you subject a $1000+ drysuit to that (travel & diving) when a $100 wetsuit or $10 t-shirt will provide all the protection you need.

Why would you subject a $1000+ drysuit to that (travel & diving) when a $100 wetsuit or $10 t-shirt will provide all the protection you need.

"Subject a drysuit to diving"?! That's what they're made for. My suit is comfortable. and gives me the thermal endurance to do 5+ dives per day in warm water with ABSOLUTELY no chill.

"Subject a drysuit to diving"?! That's what they're made for. My suit is comfortable. and gives me the thermal endurance to do 5+ dives per day in warm water with ABSOLUTELY no chill.

My .5mm and even my T-shirt will do that in warm water. And, when one of those gets lost with luggage or damaged on a boat, it's no big deal. If the issue is strictly protection from cold and critters, a wetsuit does the job quite nicely even for 5 dives a day. But there have been a number of times when I was doing 5 deep dives in 65 degree water where the idea of a dry suit really sounded good. I just can't see hauling it to Bonaire or Cozumel.

sdiver68,
I dive Lake Michigan in a Pinnacle 5/4 Fusion with the wool liner. I would be fine for 1 hour in 50* would last 25 min at 45* and could just tolerate 40* for 10-15 min. Last summer I added the Pinnacle wool lined hooded vest and by layering I can stay warm at 50*for multiple dives, last 35 min at 45* and still dont like 40*.
I dont know if the wool liner keeps you warmer but it sure is soft and comfy.

You really can feel the difference with the wool. :D

There is NO wool in the Merino suits. It's a marketing term to describe the synthetic fiber that they use. Pretty good marketing though. I'm sure that most people actually believe that their wetsuits have real wool in them. P.T. Barnum would be proud of Pinnacle.

I have two merino lined Pinnacle wet suits and I feel the merino lining makes a huge difference. I trashed my Henderson Gold Core 7mm for a 7mm Merino Elastiprene and couldn’t be happier. I’ve used it comfortably to 41 degrees on tech dives. I haven’t experienced the lining losing its warmth either (granted I’ve only had them to 150ft +). I have replaced all of my wet gear with Pinnacle Merino products. All that said keep in mind that with these suits you do have to watch how warm the water gets. Where you would normally be comfortable in a 5mm you may find you can only handle the 3mm Merino. What ever you decide I would definitely recommend Pinnacle! They’re the best suits I have ever owned.

There is NO wool in the Merino suits. It's a marketing term to describe the synthetic fiber that they use. Pretty good marketing though. I'm sure that most people actually believe that their wetsuits have real wool in them. P.T. Barnum would be proud of Pinnacle.

Whatever it is, it works!!! Wool or wool like it gets the job done. :crafty:

tridacna, I'm interested in how you know there's no wool in Pinnacle's Merino™ wetsuits? Unless my reading comprehension is way off, the Merino™ they use is merino wool, from a sheep.

Here are excerpts from their description of Merino used in the wetsuits (although, I didn't know one could or would need to trademark Merino, so that is a bit confusing; but then I'm not familiar with how trademarks work):

Merino sheep have been bred for it’s wool for over 2000 years and has many different strains around the world, but the world’s best merino fibre comes from a small Merino population bred in isolation in one of the remotest parts of the world...

The Merino™ lining in a wetsuit absorbs and retains any water entering the suit. The retained water swells in the Merino™ lining. In laboratory tests, Merino™ held 30% more water than the best synthetic linings. This is because the Merino™ fibres absorb moisture, whereas synthetics can't...

Merino’s™ super soft composition and fine micron count elimin-ates the prickle associated with other wools, which can feel itchy against the skin...

Merino’s™ excellent moisture absorption and uneven surface structure help prevent the build-up of odour causing bacteria, whereas these bacteria thrive on the exposed flat surface of synthetics. This keeps your wetsuit fresh and hygienic for longer...

Merino™ is a sustainable resource. Whereas synthetic linings are constructed from petrochemicals, Merino™ is as natural and organic as your own skin.

Source:

Pinnacle Aquatics

I was very interested in a Pinnacle Merino suit; unfortunately none of their sizes fit me.

B.

tridacna, I'm interested in how you know there's no wool in Pinnacle's Merino™ wetsuits? Unless my reading comprehension is way off, the Merino™ they use is merino wool, from a sheep.

From that same website: "Not to be confused with the wool of a normal sheep, merino fibre has unique qualities that make it a superior fibre for the lining of wetsuits."

Now when they say that "Merino TM" should not be confused with wool from a normal sheep, you can probably safely bet that it has nothing to do with real sheep. Abnormal sheep perhaps? Heck, it's a synthetic fibre that is marketed with a woolly sounding name. And they sure do pull the wool (er I mean Merino) over most peoples eyes.

Yes, it's warm. Good quality too. I use one of their suits. But wool it aint. This is just shear nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom