Merino, really?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a Pinnacle 7mm Elastiprene suit and couldn't stand the bouyancy properties so sold it and bought a Pinnacle 5mm Merino Lined suit. I will honestly say that the Merino lined suit is nearly as warm as the 7mm regular suit, with no significant difference in how cold I felt, partifcularly with multiple days of diving.

It was an excellent trade for me since the 5mm bouyancy properties are FAR easier to deal with than that "Michellan Man" suit!! :wink:

How difficult is it to dry this suit overnight? Because of the lining do they dry out slower than other suits? Might have to buy an air hanger to dry during vacation.

I just got the wife a probe inferno 5mm with merino type lining. She loves it but it was a pain to dry. I ended up turning it inside out to dry it!

Actually, one of the advantages of the Merino lining system is that it does NOT lose its insulating ability at depth. This is because one of the major reasons it works is that it absorbs and holds more water within its fibers than a traditional lining, and the absorbed water inside the suit is not compressed by the ambient water outside the suit. The same cannot be said about the rubber in your suit, which is compressed by ambient water pressure.

How difficult is it to dry this suit overnight? Because of the lining do they dry out slower than other suits? Might have to buy an air hanger to dry during vacation.

It takes 2 days for my 5mm to dry but it's in the garage with the door closed. I also dunk it before putting it on the hanger. I really don't see it taking much longer then a regular 5mm suit but I'm sure it does. It's just never been an issue for me, I like being warm.

How much more weight do you need for a merino lined suit compared to a "regular" suit without the merino lining (i.e. 3mm merino vs. 3mm regular)?

How much more weight do you need for a merino lined suit compared to a "regular" suit without the merino lining (i.e. 3mm merino vs. 3mm regular)?

At least 40 lbs if you believe the marketing hype and dog like loyalty from some users.

I have not really noticed any more bouancy from my marino lined pinnacle suit compared to my other wetsuits. It dries overnight turned inside out. It also seems easier to put on wet than by other suits.

I haven't noticed any differences in buoyancy either. I also didn't notice any difference in drying times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom