Merino, really?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did not realize this thread was still active :)

I bought a 3mm Elastiprene and a 5mm Merino-elastiprene. I used a total of +4lbs for +2mm AND Merino.

Drying times between the suits is at least 50% more for the 5mm merino.

I have a 3MM Merino now that I really like.
Doing a week on a liveaboard in the Southern Bahamas next month.
Water temps are suppose to be around 75 degrees.
We'll be doing up to 5 dives a day.
Thinking of buying a 5MM for this trip.
Can't afford another Merino right now.
Looking at the Pinnacle Cruiser 5MM.
I can buy this for less than half the cost of a Merino.
Does anyone have experience with the Cruiser suit ?

The other option would be a vest or torso heater to use with my 3MM Merino.
Never used a vest before.

I have a Henderson 3MM Beenie that I use on my head.

Just want to make sure I have what it takes to stay warm.

Thanks for any feedback

Hey Gerico , you and I share the same comforts , I currently own a 3mm merino elastiprine suit , A 5mm Cruiser suit , and a pinnacle 3mm beanie .
The Cruiser is considerably warmer than the 3mm merino , If water temp is 80 or less I always go with the 5mm Cruiser , over 80 the merino 3mm works fine .
I only add 2 lbs to compensate for the 5mm , the merino lining is bouyant but does indeed have great insulating qualities .
All things being equal , the 5mm Cruiser suit is the best deal I have ever had for a wetsuit no doubt .
And I use the beanie on every dive , works great for retaining core temp.

Thinking of buying a 5MM for this trip.
Thanks for any feedback

75 degrees and 5 dives per day for a week? Based on my recent experience of 77 degree water with 4 dives per day, I'd want at least a 5mm + Beanie + Dive skin. 5mm may be slight overkill when the sun is out, but if you get some cloudy days or do night dives you'll appreciate the warmth.

I'm taking a 5mm Elasteprene Merino plus a hooded vest on that trip in early April and I still expect that I'll be cool by the end of the week. As I get older, the idea of the DUI tropical dry suit is looking more and more attractive.

I have a BRAND NEW! Oneill 7000X Large/Short 7mm drysuit for sale for $550 Canadian. I bought this drysuit...and before I had a chance to use it I stumbled across a DUI CLX450 Signature series that fit me perfect..so I bought it...now I would like to find a good home for the Oneill suit. It will fit someone 5'7"-5'9"..about 185lbs, shoe size 9, Chest size 38-40", Inseam 29"-31" This would be a very inexpensive way for you to go DRY!! I have been diving in a Pinnacle Farmer john's 2 piece escape 7mm the past 2 winters...and dry is the only way to go in cold conditions. If you or anyone else may be interested in this suit let me know. I can send you photos if you like. The measurements that I have shown here allow for an undergarment. The suit says XL/Short but it's not. It fits me and I'm 5'8" tall 198lbs., 44" chest size 10 foot but I wouldn't be able to wear an adequate undergarment underneath.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom