Mask Sealing and Mustachios

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hola muchachos !!

A question for those mustachioed divers out there:

I've heard that people have used chapstick, mustache wax, vaseline and silicone to seal your mask around the mustache area. Personally, until I found out it was a bad idea because it damages the mask, I used vaseline and it worked okay. I've also been very successful with chapstick-type stuff. But there's not a whole lot in one of those little tubes, and it runs out real quick.

So now I'm chasing the silicone thing, based on some postings I've read on this site. Stopped by my LHS (local hardware store) and got a tube of clear 100% silicone which is advertised for sealing aquariums. But after reading the warnings on the package, I'm thinking twice:

"May cause eye, skin, nose and throat irritation. Use only in a well ventilated area. Avoid breathing vapors. Avoid contact with skin...Wear gloves to minimize skin contact. Wear eye protection. Do not take internally"

So for those who use silicone to seal their masks, have you noticed any skin rashes, stuff falling off, petit mal seizures, serious convulsions, or signs of imminent death? Just curious. I'm thinking that maybe I'll stick with the chapstick.........

I have a Mares X-Vision and I don't have any problems with leaking. I do keep the facial hair trimmed somewhat short though.

mccabejc:
and got a tube of clear 100% silicone which is advertised for sealing aquariums. But after reading the warnings on the package, I'm thinking twice:

Dude, I think you got the wrong type of silicone..... DO NOT USE THE STUFF FOR SEALING AQUARIUMS

you need silicone grease if you need anything, it is just like vaseline, but silicone based. Presonally I dont wear anything, have found that tightening the mask a little more than normal helps, as does trimming the mustach, but everyone is different.

mccabejc:
Hola muchachos !!

A question for those mustachioed divers out there:

I've heard that people have used chapstick, mustache wax, vaseline and silicone to seal your mask around the mustache area. Personally, until I found out it was a bad idea because it damages the mask, I used vaseline and it worked okay. I've also been very successful with chapstick-type stuff. But there's not a whole lot in one of those little tubes, and it runs out real quick.

So now I'm chasing the silicone thing, based on some postings I've read on this site. Stopped by my LHS (local hardware store) and got a tube of clear 100% silicone which is advertised for sealing aquariums. But after reading the warnings on the package, I'm thinking twice:

"May cause eye, skin, nose and throat irritation. Use only in a well ventilated area. Avoid breathing vapors. Avoid contact with skin...Wear gloves to minimize skin contact. Wear eye protection. Do not take internally"

So for those who use silicone to seal their masks, have you noticed any skin rashes, stuff falling off, petit mal seizures, serious convulsions, or signs of imminent death? Just curious. I'm thinking that maybe I'll stick with the chapstick.........

It seems that the product you got at the hardware store is a silicone-based sealant, and not silicone grease. There is a big difference between the two and the chemicals each product contains! Silicone lubricant is generally available at dive stores; it is used to lubricate zippers and other surfaces that may oxidize and corrode. I suggest that you ask the vendor or manufacturer for the product's Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). It should be one or two pages that contain information specific to the product. Under the HEALTH section you will find what adverse effect the chemicals contained on the product can have on your health. Do not ingest, inhale or apply ANY product to your skin unless you are sure what hazardous chemicals it contains and what effect they can have on your health! Hope this helps!!! Take care.

BTW...I also have a moustache and am trying to solve the same problem...so far my solution is to wear a mask that has a tighter fit and use generic petroleum jelly (Vaseline).

cancun mark:
Dude, I think you got the wrong type of silicone..... DO NOT USE THE STUFF FOR SEALING AQUARIUMS

ROLFLOL :D

Can you imagine it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gross as it sounds (or perhaps looks) I have found that spit over the hair/face where the mask will sit helps. Sometimes I cannot get the leaking to stop and I just deal with it. If I am doing a really challenging dive I will shave my mustache. It grows back fast enough.

--Matt

STOP!!! Buddy you have silicone SEALANT, not grease. Put that on your mustache and you won't have to worry about a leak or getting the mask off. You probably wouldn't have to worry about the mustache anymore either.

No problem with mask seal here. I do tend to trim it a bit but that is more for thickness than mask seal.

i also keep my moustache short and use the mask a little tighter. if some water gets in, and it does eventually, i just clear it more often than shaved divers.

never really bothered me but, as i dive only in calm, quiet seas it's not stressful to clean the mask once in a while.

Zhenqing:
...so far my solution is to wear a mask that has a tighter fit and use generic petroleum jelly (Vaseline).

Just MHO but I would suggest the cost of masks will prove to make this unworkable as a long term solution. As the initial poster alluded to, petroleum jelly ROTS mask skirts.

I personally use the trim method, when that fails me o-ring lube(silicone) and the hard zipper wax (probably paraphin) work as well. Worst case scenario, and someone thought spit was sick, snot helps work out the situation when I fail to prepare at all.

CD

I simply (like most others) trim the caterpillar a little closer under the nose (about a 1/4 in or so) and viola!!! limited problems and stress level lowered. Then again, I shaved most of the beard off on sunday night, shaved on monday and tuesday, forgot to the last 2 days and the beard is back to trim stage. Us hairy ones get it back quick so it's not really a problem to "trim" a little tighter than normal. Now you who have to "work" at growing a beard (and I am not being mean here) remember, it will grow back sooner or later.

...and yes, i am very attacked to my facial hair so i can feel your pain when the razor hits the skin. My condolences to your stash

Back
Top Bottom