Mares regs for deep?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deep Scuba,

Please note that I in no way have "slammed" any regs in any of my writings both here and elsewhere. If you really like ScubaPro regs then have at it. They are excellent. Heck, the little MK2 first stage with a classic downstream valve is probably more than 90% of all divers would ever need anyway. Throw it in you dive bag after a quick rinse and pull it out when the boat drops anchor.

If you are that unhappy with your wife's reg, I'll buy it off of you for a fair price. If it is in very good condition or better I'll be glad to take it off her hands.

If I rebuild it and dive it on air to 140' and it breaths "like a brick", I will gladly get on this site and tell the readers that you were completely right and that it is a real lemon. If not, then I will make a favorable report. After all, I've never been one to cover up a problem.

Greg

DeepScuba once bubbled...
Greg:

I think you're a little too touchy/attached to your regs bud. :D

Did you really think I was literally meaning 4 or 5??

C'mon man, lighten up.

hehehheh

Like I've said, use a 200ft Home Depot garden hose if you want to. What do I care?

You can get away with insulting someone's wife and kids but NOT their regulator! :)

IndigoBlue once bubbled...
You can get away with insulting someone's wife and kids but NOT their regulator! :)

You shouldn't get too affectionate with other people's regulators either.

Greg Barlow once bubbled...
The Dive Rite RG1200 is very similar to the Apeks regs, albeit at a much lower price. Perhaps this is a reg that can meet the needs of "extreme divers".

Now this I did not know, I was wondering about them but never bothered to do my research any further.

I'll just keep using my Mares regs until I feel the need to switch to Apeks or "brand A".

As the saying goes, you can have my reg when........

Mares regs in my mind are very high quality, simple, robust, and affordably priced. True, some high end models of balanced second stages may offer easier inhalation effort but mine breathe just fine. I've used many regs over the last four decades and am quite content with my current MR12's.

BTW, I am still waiting for someone to tell me what is so inherently bad about Mares regs. Not a single tale of a poor breathing example, but some real objective data.....

Ok greg i'll bite.

Perhaps the #1 problem i've ever heard with mares regulators is the 2nd stage on that one mr-12 (axis is it?) but any good regulator technition worth his/her salt will be able to fix that easily. Mr harlow in his regulator repair manual states the abyss is very high quality and if you can get one affordable/cheap then by all means grab it. With the intervention of internet places like diveinn (scubastore) and leisurepro we have seen these prices drop like rocks. I believe he was touching on the MSRP prices.

Secondly when dealing with the ruby and titanium regulator and nitrox, chemistry tells us titanium is a class D fire hazard so how many people use these with nitrox? This isnt' really a product quality issue but more of what we call in the IT field a ID 10 T error.[/B][/QUOTE]

The Abyss has been tested by the Notified Body INPP of Marseilles with binary (Heliox) and ternary (Trimix) mixtures to a depth of 100 m.

This is from www.mares.com under the abyss regulator. I can tell you from usage this is one awsome regulator, even the bench tests will back this one up. Overall anyone with half of a clue knows this. Also keep in mind your reg is only as good as the service tech!

Ed

Ed,

The initial MR12 Axis models ushered in a new second stage crown design that was at times problematic with annoying leaks. Mares redesigned the crown and offered free retrofits on any that had problems.

I have to say that they certainly back their products. The infamous problems with Esa masks cracking in the frame are but one example. It doesn't matter how old the mask, they will replace it at no cost. I had one mask problem with one that I had purchased in Western Europe. Mares N. America replaced it even and said that it didn't matter where I had purchased it from.

My notes regarding titanium regs go with your thougths. I look at them as a solution to a nonexistant problem.

Greg Barlow

blacknet once bubbled...

/This is from www.mares.com under the abyss regulator. I can tell you from usage this is one awsome regulator, even the bench tests will back this one up. Overall anyone with half of a clue knows this. Also keep in mind your reg is only as good as the service tech!

Ed

I've got two regular ol' Abyss regs for my cave rig. Sweeeeeet breathers. My buddy (auth. tech) and I break them down every 6ish months to clean and replace all parts. We take great care in servicing our regs....since he relies on mine and vice versa in a failure.

And yes, they are easy to service.

Greg Barlow:
Deep Scuba,

Just to make a formal remark on the ScubaPro testing. A few months ago ScubaPro made a formal request "shall I say attorney" that ScubaLab was not to test nor report on ANY of their products in the magazine. Take that for what you want.

BTW, I do not work for the mag at this time. I haven't for nearly a year.

You need to get on the website www.scubadiving.com and read the past reports on regs if you think that they rate every "piece of crap" reg highly.

If you need some material to put you to sleep you might want to do a search under my name for some of my past Scuba Science articles. They may not be the best, but I gave 'em my all....

Best Wishes,

Greg

Greg,
We have seen this 'mentality' before on this board. I regularly argued OMS vs. Halcyon, etc, etc.

Much of this mentality amongst the techies is due to the fact that they desire/require: regs that 2nd stages can be taken apart underwater (cave divers), BC's that offer no Fastex buckles and keep the chest area 'open' and free of clutter, etc. Wings that don't project snag hazards. And so on...

While not a tech diver and new to diving, I have owned MR-12 Axis regs, Apeks TX50, and Poseidon Jetstreams. I can't REALLY put the Poseidon in the 'other' reg class since they have this positive breathing feature.

My Mares MR-12 breathed beautifully. Anyone who have ever owned Vance Harlow's book "Scuba Regulator Maint & Repair" will see how simple and easy to service the Mares regs are. Compared to Scubapro they have so much less parts and O-rings. Their 2nd stages are easy to adjust and mine, personally, breathed superbly. My Apek's was a super-breather - but I'd have to say, so was my Mares as well.

I think what gets many people is the fact that Mares is a sporting goods manufacturer vs. say, Scubapro - which makes ONLY diving-related gear. So, one assumes - a firm that makes scuba gear and skis, etc. can't be as good as a manufacturer who makes ONLY diving gear.

I went on a diving charter to Florida last year. The charter boat (an extremely high rated charter outfit) had all Mares regs on their boat. When I saw them I was surprised. I dove with an older Mares reg, I think the Akno's or something like that - and it was superb.

While I'm not qualified to discuss regs performance below 100 ft I can say that many users of this board are pro Apek's and Scubapro and their opinion(s) are based on these tech divers choices. I don't argue that Apek's and Scubapro are not super regs. They are. But for my money, I'd not feel handicapped my the MR-12 at all. In fact, I am going to purchase a set for my wife who is new to scuba as well. I know that they will offer her super performance - for the money and be easy to service as well.

It's like the great debate over Chevy vs. Ford's pickup trucks. And it continues still today...

My deepest dives with the Mares mr-12 axis were to around 140 ft. No problem what-so-ever. Mares make great regs. I also dive the SP MK25 with S600 second stage. A great reg, So I have a basis for comparison.

There are also enough tests around the web, especially the latest from Rodale's, you can look at.

Ari

Maybe I missed it, but when reading the title of this thread, I expected to see someone pointing out that in Mark Ellyatt's recent record-setting dive to 1027 feet, he used a Mares Abyss as his primary reg. His comments on Mares: ""The MARES regulators were chosen for there heavyweight construction (heat sink theory). The DFC system is great at managing high gas flows with its smooth operation as opposed to venturi flow support, Finally no environmental seal means regulators as warm as possible. The water temp was 3-4 c (M1 and stinger) the gas flows were enormous but all resulted in zero free flow or stutter."

Over 1000 feet in 36-38 degree water... Yeah, I think Mares can handle deep dives!

Back
Top Bottom