Deep 6 Excursion vs MK17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Scotty

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Which do you think performs better? I'd appreciate a comparison of these directly competing models.

I emailed Deep 6 and they just sort of diverted and didn't really answer my questions. Their website doesn't have any specifications and has very little helpful information. Annoyingly, they also have a dive computer name the "Excursion" so that muddies every search you make trying to find information on the reg.

Price isn't really a factor as I can buy a lightly used MK17 for the same price as a new Excursion.

I'll be DIY servicing. Deep 6 doesn't have a manual or parts diagram for the Excursion series (they said "coming soon" but that was 8 months ago). The Scubapro actually wins here because there are manuals, diagrams, and lots of videos online.

I like the idea of Deep 6 and would love to support the smaller company. However, it kind of feels like they only half-heartedly want to sell the Excursion. Long term I have to wonder if they'll still supply parts kits for it given their lack of enthusiasm.

I'll be using this for back mounted, single tank, recreational diving. I'm not interested in a turret. Weight is a big deal for me. Anyone know the weight of the Excursion?

Deep 6 didn't give me an answer about whether they have a yoke to din conversion for the excursion, so that's another win for the MK17. I guess I could go for the Hog D2, which I believe is identical, but they don't sell a yoke version as far as I know. I'd like to be able to swap out Din and yoke as needed.

I recently got a smoking deal on a 4th gen S600 and an MK25 evo. If I get an MK17 (or perhaps an MK11) I'll probably stick with the S600. I'll be selling the MK25 evo. Ideally I'd snag a S620ti or C370. The G260 seems fairly large.

On one of Rsingler recent regulator geek videos he tested a DGX (or maybe it was a dive rite) second stage. I believe it is the same as the Deep 6 excursion. It has two bowtie shaped divots that are very distinct. Anyway, it performed really well. Makes me wonder if it's a sleeper home run. Anyway, I'm quite interested in that second stage if it has a metal barrel. Does it have a metal barrel? Can't tell from the website... sigh.

What second stage do you recommend? I'm open to all options, especially lightweight and compacts ones. I don't really care about the brand, as long as I can get parts, but I want a good breather.

What second stage do you recommend? I'm open to all options, especially lightweight and compacts ones.

I have G260, S600 and C370. I like the G260 when I am using it but I like the s600 when I switch to it and then go back to liking the G260 again. The C370 is excellent too. I don't see that the G260 is "big" at all. You really can't go wrong with any of these three but many folks here love the G260 the most. For me, G260 and S600 are basically at the same level if they are both tuned at the easiest breathing setting according to mfg. specs with the C370 very close. The G260 and S600 have metal barrel so they do well in very cold water.

I recently got a smoking deal on a 4th gen S600 and an MK25 evo. If I get an MK17 (or perhaps an MK11) I'll probably stick with the S600. I'll be selling the MK25 evo.
Why on God's ocean would you sell a MK25 EVO and not keep it? I don't sell anything that is Scubapro (or Atomic) at all, I hoard them all especially if bought at smoking deals. I'll be happy to sell whatever is left of my Mares, Cressi and AL regulators I have had in my dive school's training equipment fleet but would never sell Atomic or SP.

The MK17 is a very nice first stage, it’s easier to get service kits for SP than a lot of brands, if you want them bad enough, no hoops to jump through.

the G 260 is a great workhorse second, very tunable .

the deep 6 seconds are a very good design as are Hog and from the looks of the drawings Dive Rite etc.

I don’t hoard things I won’t use, while the MK 25 is a top performer I prefer keeping abrasive stuff on the outside (primarily shore diver) so I like sealed firsts, I would sell the 25.

The G260 is not heavy or large. It is a standard size regulator which also means it has a standard size diaphragm. The advantage of the larger diaphragm is that the G260 breathing response is very linear and smooth. The compact regs are, to me, a little jumpy coming on too strong after the initial crack and do not mimic the human inspiration as accurately. The slightly larger G260 case volume offsets any minor weight difference underwater. The G260 would be the perfect second stage had it not been a follow on to the greatest second stage of all time, the plain and good old G250. But really, it is a G250 with the Micro-Adjust which I will grudgingly admit does make tuning a little easier.

I would go Mark 17 Evo over the Mark 25 but a Mark 25 Evo with the pretty blue springs, certainly a snazzy unit.

G260 is the same size as an Apex XTX50/100/200. So I'd call it normal sized. I'm honestly blow away of how good the regulator works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom