Awesome Service from Deep 6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Excursion is a very underrated regulator.
It is basic diaphragm, by which I mean fixed volcano and no turret. That said, it's environmentally sealed, which gives it a leg up on the Scubapro Mk11 (unless you don't want sealing for IP reasons on very deep dives).
If you don't need a turret (i.e., you're not sidemount or doubles) you simply can't beat it.
Excellent poppet seal with the volcano, and unless you flood it or scratch the volcano during your own service, it can last a lifetime! For its cost, it's one of the best diaphragm first stages on the market.
Couple it with Deep6 service, and it's kindof a no-brainer if you don't DIY.
The finish and component quality of the Signature is higher, which naturally costs more. But if you don't let sea water droplets into the reg on boat tank changes, the inside will remain pristine. As a sealed first, all it needs is an exterior rinse. Easy peasy.

The second stage is another surprise. The case thickness of the Excursion is significantly greater than similar small form factor second stages. That means no cracking of the case if it gets dropped or abused. It's an absolutely straightforward barrel mechanism, with the only caveat being a unique size poppet shaft o-ring (shared with the Signature) that is not equivalent to a McMaster 1x2mm. So kits should come from Deep6, rather than being homemade from aftermarket parts, but who else gives you a new diaphragm??
When tested on my "Pete Wolfinger A.I.R. dynamic flow" setup (see Regulator Savvy) this reg matched the curve of the S270 (Scubapro's plastic version of the S620Ti). Incredible stability on high flow, which implies unusually good deep water performance.

Just as easy to self-service as the Signature.
HUGE value.

With the INSANE rise in the cost of service kits from the big manufacturers, this is just one more reason to patronize Deep6. Superb quality gear; reasonably priced kits; good service; fast service; teach  you to service? What's not to like?
Huh, I haven't really looked at service kit costs. How much did it increase in general? Do you think it's a supply chain thing that's still recovering from Covid or is the cost increase likely here to stay?

While Scubapro's Mk25 kits have gone down slightly, virtually every other kit I see is up 10-20% in the last year, and 100% over the last 6 years.
Take a look at Scuba-Clinic-Tools.com and their kit costs for service kits that are generally not available to the public. Even Scubagaskets aftermarket kits are getting pricey. I no longer think it is supply chain, but baked-in increases from when COVID made everything hard.

A few companies (think Aqualung) are in some real difficulty, and price increases help the bottom line for already-sold gear. Others may be supporting their dealers (I don't know what wholesale prices are), given the rise of alternative ways to buy and service your gear.

When some companies can market a new reg set for $2,500 while others struggle, who knows? The hard part is that the increased prices aren't associated with better service results at many dive shops. The horror stories just keep coming.

If I were a new diver, the ONLY question I should be asking is, "What brand can my dive shop service reliably?"
Not, "Which brand is best?"

When Deep6gear can both sell great gear AND service it quickly at reasonable cost, why would you buy Scubapro, equally well-machined as it might be, if your dive shop can't service it perfectly?

Oh wow, that is a huge increase over the last 6 years ....
Thanks for the info! Looks more and more like Deep6 is the most reasonable choice

Viton (deco) kit for a Poseidon 3960 first stage?
Minimum Authorized Price (MAP) = $75.08
Regular Nitrox? $55.58

One point, Scubapro did increase their service kit prices and Scubapro has extended the service interval to two years from one year. I think? So that cut the service cost in half and then they increased that 20%.

But, Deep Six is on the cutting edge of the way it should be. Quality products, reasonable pricing and they sell service kits!

Say you are going on an expedition. You could carry all the same regulators for your kit, deco, whatever and then carry one set of tools and sets of service kits rahter than another set of regulators. If everyone on the expedition uses the same equipment suddenly you have saved a bunch of weight and gear to be hauled. And a friend of mine just got charged nearly $600 for two overweight carry-on bags and it was only my superior interpersonal skills :flowers: that saved me from the same fate! The moral of this is that Deep Six sells expedition grade gear and proves it by supplying service kits to support the equipment in the jungle of Mexico or on the Antartica south pole!

Service 6 regs (2 x 1st stage + 4 x 2nd stage) for $110?!?

That is redonkulously cheap! At my old shop, up in Virginia, they serviced regs for $35 per stage. So, 1 reg set would be $105. And that shop was the cheapest in the whole DC metro area.

$110 for 2 reg sets is just amazing!

+2 for Deep 6 service
+2 for Deep 6 gear

Both mine and my wife's experience have been fantastic and couldn't be happier.

I use a Deep 6 Scribble first stage, with the Deep 6 second stage primary and an older Oceanic octo. My wife is using a Hog 1st, 2nd, and Octo setup. We haven't had these regs serviced yet, so I called Deep 6 to see what the process and timeframe was to rebuild the Deep 6 gear. They said they can do all of the regs, not just the Deep 6. I boxed everything up and sent to them Priority mail. A few days later they sent a Paypal request for $110. I sent payment, and 3 days later I received everything back. It was unbelievably fast, and much less expensive than I was expecting. They had to order the parts for the Oceanic octo, which added a few dollars to the total, but I felt like the price was very reasonable to have everything gone through and then sent back at no additional cost. Highly recommend Deep 6 if you are looking for new gear. I am very glad I found out about them on Scubaboard.
Thank you for sharing your positive experiences with Deep 6. Last night I was talking with some new divers who are shopping for gear and I encouraged them to check out Deep6 regs based on this thread (including Rob's insights).

Back
Top Bottom