Deep6 Excursion Vs Signature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
T

TheBeepBoop

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey Folks,
I was looking at getting a new Regulator and have narrowed it down to Deep 6 (Or Dive Rite, but I think Deep 6) I can't decide if I should spend the extra on the Signature or save the money with the Excursion (I believe this used to be called the scribble series) I was curious if anyone had any experience with either? Do they breath the same? I know the Excursion doesn't have the 5th LP Port, have y'all found that that makes a large difference with hose routing for long hose setups? I also know the Excursion doesn't have a free first service, so I have been thinking about that as well, though I am thinking I would take the service class through them anyway since I like repairing my own things.

Thanks for any help!

I only have experience with the Signature reg. I don't see a difference in performance between that and the ScubaPro MK25 Evo/S600, Atomic M1, Apeks XTX50, all which I owned and dived for a period of time.

If you want to self-service, Deep 6 is the way to go. I can't speak for the Excursion regs as I have no experience, so I'm not sure if my comment helps much.

So the Signature is an exceptional regulator, but the Excursion works well for most applications. You have touched on some of the differences in your initial post, so you really have to decide which is most important to you. As another note, you can always start with a mixed set and go with something like a Excursion first stage and pair it with Signature seconds. You can then later upgrade the first stage when you feel the need.

Cheers,
Landon

So the Signature is an exceptional regulator, but the Excursion works well for most applications. You have touched on some of the differences in your initial post, so you really have to decide which is most important to you. As another note, you can always start with a mixed set and go with something like a Excursion first stage and pair it with Signature seconds. You can then later upgrade the first stage when you feel the need.

Cheers,
Landon

Thanks for responding, have you noticed if not having that 5th LP port makes hose routing significantly more difficult, I am going to be converting to long hose and want to make sure I do it right! I am more of a buy once cry once kind of person and will try not to do too many stop gaps, but the lower price is just very tempting, I'm mostly worried about getting frustrated and wishing I spent the extra for the signature. edit: (also do you know when the signature DIN will be back in stock totally fine if you don't just curious)

1688477555054.png

w/ 5 LP ports.

??? IDK if that's still current as logo marked. The second appears to be a Deep 6 (or direct clone/licensed version? ) with the DGX logo instead of a DS circling hammerhead logo.

1688477636128.png

Specific to the two models, I do much prefer the Signature which is why I own half a dozen of them. They just "feel better" in the hand with the premium materials and when you factor in the first free service and the free parts if you take the course the total cost of ownership is lower which makes it a no-brainer to me.

On the routing, and pardon the pictures, I'll redo these with the Signatures at some point and get some better examples so I quit reusing these a decade later.
Thanks for responding, have you noticed if not having that 5th LP port makes hose routing significantly more difficult, I am going to be converting to long hose and want to make sure I do it right! I am more of a buy once cry once kind of person and will try not to do too many stop gaps, but the lower price is just very tempting, I'm mostly worried about getting frustrated and wishing I spent the extra for the signature. edit: (also do you know when the signature DIN will be back in stock totally fine if you don't just curious)

Even with singles I find the 5th port to be incredibly useful. Most people will mount the regulators vertical where it doesn't make a huge amount of difference but I've found that if you put the long hose on the 5th port itself and cant the regulator over the hose routing is much more direct for single tank setups. Pardon the IQ on this, it is over 10yrs old from a cell phone camera but this shows how the hoses are supposed to run for that type of setup.
1688478715925.png

You can turn the first stage horizontal and have the short hose coming out of the fifth port with the wing inflator and long hose on the turret. This doesn't work with a drysuit, but if you're warm water diving then the hoses are all going in the direction they are supposed to be going and minimizes bending, but either way I do find the 5th port to be incredibly useful for single tank diving, especially with a long hose.
Not the best example picture but you can see the horizontal here. Note that both of these setups are on 40" psuedo long hoses with angle adapters, but a 7ft uses the same configuration.

1688478862261.png

Fifth port for long-hose is a big plus in m opinion. Yeah, I could have just Liked tbone's post.

I recently switched over all my HOG regs to D6 Signatures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom