Deep 6 Excursion vs MK17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The excursion reg is the same reg as the HOG D2. Same parts, same schematic and specs. Differences are cosmetic. If you take the HOG service class with the right instructor, you should get copies of the manual for the D1, D2, and D3. Either in print or electronically. Make sure you will before you sign up with the instructor. Then you can use kits for that reg from any HOG supplier.
The D2/Excursion is a proven design that is reliable and easy to service. The only reg I use for stages because it's compact, sealed, and not expensive.
Jim, do you know if the D3 yoke hardware is compatible with the D2?

I bought DRIS's Yoke conversion parts for my DIN D3. D3 DIN to YOKE Conversion Kit
I though I heard that the inlet parts are the same/compatible.

DIN D2 with the conversion parts might be an option for OP

Scotty, following on to Jim's post ...

- HOG manuals are only available by taking an official HOG course, but parts are freely available via retail channels.
- Deep 6 has the Signature manual freely available (as you note Scribble/Excursion TBD), but parts are only available with credentials or if you otherwise satisfy them that you know what you are doing.

Different approaches on liability mitigation for companies that support an official pathway to end-user service.

I emailed Deep 6 and they just sort of diverted and didn't really answer my questions.
I do not see any support tickets with your name on them, if you can forward me a ticket number please let me check the system. I would like to look into this.

Their website doesn't have any specifications and has very little helpful information.
What specifications were you looking for that are not there? I can add them to the description for the future. It is a balanced sealed diaphragm with 2 HP ports and 4 LP ports, and is suitable for nitrox/stage use.

Deep 6 doesn't have a manual or parts diagram for the Excursion series (they said "coming soon" but that was 8 months ago).
It is a well known design that has been around for a while. The manual really is coming soon, we are wrapping up a few details. We are available for support questions if any arise, and I would anticipate the manual long before you would need any service.

However, it kind of feels like they only half-heartedly want to sell the Excursion. Long term I have to wonder if they'll still supply parts kits for it given their lack of enthusiasm.
Kits should never be a problem, it uses a standard seat design, as well as a common diaphragm. All O-rings are standard sizes. We stock parts and kits for all models we carry, future availability shouldn't be an issue. This is a value series regulator designed to compete with other similar offerings from competitors online.

Weight is a big deal for me. Anyone know the weight of the Excursion?
I have a DIN unit here - it is 656g or 1.446 lbs

Deep 6 didn't give me an answer about whether they have a yoke to din conversion for the excursion
The Excursion Regulator is available in both formats, DIN and Yoke. You can use a standard converter on the DIN or order parts for conversion.

I'd like to be able to swap out Din and yoke as needed.
I don't suggest frequent changing between forms. Brass is a pliable metal, and people often over-torque, so it leads to premature wear. The better option is to go with DIN and use a converter.

On one of Rsingler recent regulator geek videos he tested a DGX (or maybe it was a dive rite) second stage. I believe it is the same as the Deep 6 excursion.
We initially made these second stages for DGX, and they were initially co-branded Deep6. Currently they are now branded with the DGX "Gears" logo, and there is some divergence I believe in parts.

Side note - @rsingler 's courses and videos are great. I consider him THE expert in the field.

Anyway, I'm quite interested in that second stage if it has a metal barrel. Does it have a metal barrel? Can't tell from the website... sigh.
Our barrel is metal, as is the adjustment knob, orifice, castle nut, etc.

Deep 6 has the Signature manual freely available (as you note Scribble/Excursion TBD), but parts are only available with credentials or if you otherwise satisfy them that you know what you are doing.

We just need some proof of competence, or proof of supervision. It really isn't a difficult bar to satisfy if you are capable.

Cheers all.
Landon

MK17 is a great reg, I can get a MK19 Evo for less though.
Problem is, the MK19 dwarfs the MK25.

For the life of me, I can't cipher why in the frack SP ditched the MK17 in favor of the 19. Turdette. On a HUGE form factor. Bleh.

At least the MK17s can still be had - with blue plastic dressing - even though they're called the H50-D.

Problem is, the MK19 dwarfs the MK25.

For the life of me, I can't cipher why in the frack SP ditched the MK17 in favor of the 19. Turdette. On a HUGE form factor. Bleh.

At least the MK17s can still be had - with blue plastic dressing - even though they're called the H50-D.

The mk17 is still available in the EMEA region no problem, it is just the lovely Americans that are deprived of it:p

Back
Top Bottom