Deep 6 Excursion vs MK17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Performance wise there's zero in it. I guess I'm hyper familiar with the G series which leans me more to that from a servicing perspective.

Breathing characteristics, afc, seat saver feature, material reliability requiring less frequent service/longer service intervals.

Have all of the above mentioned SP and Atomic ss's and I prefer Atomic the most.

Just saying, the G260 does have a seat saver by turning the purge in with your fingers. Pretty simple design.

I do like the Atomic but it is one of the slightly jumpy seconds down to about 20 feet or so and then it comes into it's own. I do like the titanium bits.

Breathing characteristics wholly subjective. I love the breathing characteristics of the C370, many do not.

G260 has a "friendlier" seat saver IMO.

I found the AFC on atomic to be twitchy at shallower depths.

Not sure what materials offer greater "reliability"?

Great regs for sure, "superior" is a stretch for me.

FTR I've owned Z2s and M1s. Did love the wider exhaust T.

Which do you think performs better? I'd appreciate a comparison of these directly competing models.

I emailed Deep 6 and they just sort of diverted and didn't really answer my questions. Their website doesn't have any specifications and has very little helpful information. Annoyingly, they also have a dive computer name the "Excursion" so that muddies every search you make trying to find information on the reg.

Price isn't really a factor as I can buy a lightly used MK17 for the same price as a new Excursion.

I'll be DIY servicing. Deep 6 doesn't have a manual or parts diagram for the Excursion series (they said "coming soon" but that was 8 months ago). The Scubapro actually wins here because there are manuals, diagrams, and lots of videos online.

I like the idea of Deep 6 and would love to support the smaller company. However, it kind of feels like they only half-heartedly want to sell the Excursion. Long term I have to wonder if they'll still supply parts kits for it given their lack of enthusiasm.

I'll be using this for back mounted, single tank, recreational diving. I'm not interested in a turret. Weight is a big deal for me. Anyone know the weight of the Excursion?

Deep 6 didn't give me an answer about whether they have a yoke to din conversion for the excursion, so that's another win for the MK17. I guess I could go for the Hog D2, which I believe is identical, but they don't sell a yoke version as far as I know. I'd like to be able to swap out Din and yoke as needed.
The excursion reg is the same reg as the HOG D2. Same parts, same schematic and specs. Differences are cosmetic. If you take the HOG service class with the right instructor, you should get copies of the manual for the D1, D2, and D3. Either in print or electronically. Make sure you will before you sign up with the instructor. Then you can use kits for that reg from any HOG supplier.
The D2/Excursion is a proven design that is reliable and easy to service. The only reg I use for stages because it's compact, sealed, and not expensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom