Mares regs for deep?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CRDiver:
Over 1000 feet in 36-38 degree water... Yeah, I think Mares can handle deep dives!

Hello,

Where did the water temps come from?

Ed

Check out the quote from Ellyatt. He said the water was 3-4 degrees C, according to his two computers. Thats about 36-38 degrees F.

Great discussion! Like I mentioned long ago in this thread, I am still waiting on someone to give me objective data to show that Mares regs are "low performance". I just got back from Florida where all of my dives were made on Mares regs. This included primary, secondary, deco, and stage regs. They all performed flawlessly, but of course, I did expect that....

Greg Barlow

Greg - to be honest, here's the deal - Mares could make the best regulators in the world. But they're not going to get a reputation for making great technical dive gear.

Why? It's really simple. It's the same company that makes the HUB for crying out loud! Or pneumatic air-powered cam bands. The Rig2 from Dacor is indirectly through ownership a Mares piece. The Sycro-Tech is a d-ring laden nightmare.

Basically, Mares makes really stroke-ish dive gear aimed at recreational divers, or wanna-be techies. (Incidentally, I believe that's the first time I've EVER used the "s" word on this board.) It's a reputation problem. I have no problem or real opinion on Mares regs - I have dove with them in the past, and at recreational depths, they seemed more or less fine. I do think my Apeks breath sweeter, even at 30 feet. But until the reputation thing is cleared up, that's the issue Mares is going to have.

Boogie,

I've been involved professionally in the industry for many years...it wasn't all that long ago that Apeks had a deservedly bad rap for their regs. It wasn't until the "TX" series came out that they received a lot of well earned praise. They still can't sell many of their other products in this country. Their current regs are excellent and are the standard of the industry in many ways. Like I've mentioned in the past, if I wasn't so pleased with my Mares regs then Apeks would most likely be my choice.

Granted, the HUB was another solution to a non-existant problem. Many products are..including those from all of the major manufacturers. If you want to make a real point, then the original ScubaPro stab jacket could have been viewed in the same fashion. I, along with many others, were afraid of them back when they first debuted. Heck, at least two manufacturers produced wing style BCD's that fit directly on ABS backplates long before J. Jablonski was even in grade school. Swimaster made one that had the classic "U" shape along with a power inflator. Critics then called them a ridiculous piece of gear that had no future. I, too, agree though that the HUB's future looks pretty bleak.

The "evolution" of technical gear is actually nothing more that a cycle that has turned back.

In my opinion, regs have just about reached the point where the current design paradigms have reached full potential. The next big developmental step with almost have to include electronics of some sort.

Greg Barlow

Hello,

What everyone is overlooking is "technical" gear is a load of crap. Call it what it is, a fad. As for this useless crap that's floating around all I have to say is look at the sales and the income associated with these products and show me one company that doesn't give a rats ass about the bottom line dollar and i'll show you a liar.

Ed

Thank you for that inciteful post, blacknet. I'll try to remember that when I'm in a deco obligation next summer - at least I'll be all nice, warm and squishy in my 'load of crap.'

???????

I took this to 48msw and it performed just fine.

Back
Top Bottom