Maltese court convicts dive buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course you don't pull them up, you tie off the line and go to them, the standby is fresh with a full supply of gas and can raise the alarm that you have a problem. You know there on the line so no need to search. It simply works in poor conditions.
There's only one diver in the water unless the job takes more than one, and in that case both divers are monitored by a supervisor with standby divers dressed and ready.
You don't need line of sight, we used a systom of pulls and bells ( short pull ) to communicate.
You just spend the last several pages criticizing anyone who ever lost sight of their dive-buddy for even a moment, but are talking about a completely different style of diving.

You're not talking about buddy-diving in the way nearly all of us understand diving, meaning two divers, both experiencing a dive, paired up and trying to stay together underwater and being there to assist each other if needed. A diver standing by on the ready might be a safety-diver (or some other term), but they're not a dive buddy. You cannot compare tethered-diving to keeping track of a buddy in hundreds of yards on a normal recreational dive.

The only reason you seem to know where your diver is at all times, is because they're not going anywhere or tethered.

Sure that's just it I wouldn't need the dive centre.
In some countries you cannot legally dive without going through a dive center.
Your logic is flawed. It may work in your micorocosm, but you are accepting restrictions that the industry by in large will not accept.

• Bullseye!
Reactions: L13
I actually burst out laughing reading this. I keep deleting what I want to write as I'm trying to have a respectful dialog here.

Have you ever seen anything like what you describe while diving in some tropical destination?

I would love to be a fly on the wall with you requesting such a setup at the dive center prior to going out to dive.
"Alright, everyone' we've arrived at the dive site!"
"I can't dive."
"What's wrong?"
"Where's your surface-supply?"
"What?"
"and the tethers!"
"This is a recreational dive, were hear to look at coral and fishes!"
"This is unsafe, I don't see rescue-divers geared up and ready to go!"
"You are open water certified, right?"
"Do you guys even have coms? Not even a bell-on-a-rope?"

You just spend the last several pages criticizing anyone who ever lost sight of their dive-buddy for even a moment, but are talking about a completely different style of diving.

You're not talking about buddy-diving in the way nearly all of us understand diving, meaning two divers, both experiencing a dive, paired up and trying to stay together underwater and being there to assist each other if needed. A diver standing by on the ready might be a safety-diver (or some other term), but they're not a dive buddy. You cannot compare tethered-diving to keeping track of a buddy in hundreds of yards on a normal recreational dive.

The only reason you seem to know where your diver is at all times, is because they're not going anywhere or tethered.
You're right my buddy is not going anywhere that I don't know about , isn't that what killed the lady in question. She went somewhere her buddy didn't know about.

In some countries you cannot legally dive without going through a dive center.
Your logic is flawed. It may work in your micorocosm, but you are accepting restrictions that the industry by in large will not accept.
Where are they

Where are they
for example Croatia. While you can buy a licence that allows you to dive on your own, allowed areas are so small you just have to go through dive center. Greece is completely off limits outside of dive centers. Probably more countries, can't be bothered to look.
You should really stop now, we accept that you are a dive deity that is flawless in execution of this soul crushing activity. Let the rest of us revel in your glory while losing our buddies left, right and center. And probably up, down and behind?

for example Croatia. While you can buy a licence that allows you to dive on your own, allowed areas are so small you just have to go through dive center. Greece is completely off limits outside of dive centers. Probably more countries, can't be bothered to look.
You should really stop now, we accept that you are a dive deity that is flawless in execution of this soul crushing activity. Let the rest of us revel in your glory while losing our buddies left, right and center. And probably up, down and behind?
Give it a break I'm just back from Croatia there's none of the islands I couldn't dive from,

We're not worthy! Oh, I might also be dead. A ghost! 👻😱

You see, I'm a solo diver! Or was a solo-diver. No-buddy knows where I am! Can ghosts SCUBA-dive, or is that only in their imagination? I must have died a few hundred times already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom