Maltese court convicts dive buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on now watch out for yere old buddies and avoid accidents.

So therefore the system that you claim is flawless is actually broken.

You fortunately didn't have an incident.

You were lucky.

Not everyone is all the time.
Must weekends with my brother or friends. If conditions were poor and there was a danger of separation we dived one in the water on a line and the other in the boat or solo.
You may agree with your close friends to dive a certain way, but you are a rare exception. Most people all want to have fun at the same time.

But regardless of your practices, if you and your buddy have an emergency while on scuba gear, the person at the surface is going to have to jump in. They cannot pull you up if you are on a line or you will cause an uncontrolled ascent that may very well kill them.

So therefore the system that you claim is flawless is actually broken.

You fortunately didn't have an incident.

You were lucky.

Not everyone is all the time.

You may agree with your close friends to dive a certain way, but you are a rare exception. Most people all want to have fun at the same time.

But regardless of your practices, if you and your buddy have an emergency while on scuba gear, the person at the surface is going to have to jump in. They cannot pull you up if you are on a line or you will cause an uncontrolled ascent that may very well kill them.
Of course you don't pull them up, you tie off the line and go to them, the standby is fresh with a full supply of gas and can raise the alarm that you have a problem. You know there on the line so no need to search. It simply works in poor conditions.

Of course you don't pull them up, you tie off the line and go to them, the standby is fresh with a full supply of gas and can raise the alarm that you have a problem. You know there on the line so no need to search. It simply works in poor conditions.
And you think this applies to non-commercial diving? You are seriously limited in what you can go see.

It is completely inapplicable to most non-commercial diving. The only case where it may be the case is off a wreck. But even then, the person at the surface doesn't have line of sight. I don't care if you are in the Aegean where at 30 meters the surface looks like 3 m away.

There's just so much more equipment, protocols, manpower, and less fun to commercial diving. There's a reason why you get paid to do it a lot more than recreational dive pros get paid. And why people pay to dive recreationally.

For that matter, how did you ever get any work done as a commercial diver if you never looked away from your buddy to get some work done.
There's only one diver in the water unless the job takes more than one, and in that case both divers are monitored by a supervisor with standby divers dressed and ready.

And you think this applies to non-commercial diving? You are seriously limited in what you can go see.

It is completely inapplicable to most non-commercial diving. The only case where it may be the case is off a wreck. But even then, the person at the surface doesn't have line of sight. I don't care if you are in the Aegean where at 30 meters the surface looks like 3 m away.

There's just so much more equipment, protocols, manpower, and less fun to commercial diving. There's a reason why you get paid to do it a lot more than recreational dive pros get paid. And why people pay to dive recreationally.
You don't need line of sight, we used a system of pulls and bells ( short pull ) to communicate.

You don't need line of sight, we used a systom of pulls and bells ( short pull ) to communicate.
I actually burst out laughing reading this. I keep deleting what I want to write as I'm trying to have a respectful dialog here.

Have you ever seen anything like what you describe while diving in some tropical destination?

I would love to be a fly on the wall with you requesting such a setup at the dive center prior to going out to dive.

So not really buddy diving...
That's what a buddy is for me, the guy who comes to my aid when I need it, which is what I'll do for them.

I actually burst out laughing reading this. I keep deleting what I want to write as I'm trying to have a respectful dialog here.

Have you ever seen anything like what you describe while diving in some tropical destination?

I would love to be a fly on the wall with you requesting such a setup at the dive center prior to going out to dive.
Sure that's just it I wouldn't need the dive centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom