Looks like I,m having brain surgery....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. That must be a lot to take in all at once. I hope the surgery goes well, and you have a speeeedy recovery. and chicks soooo dig shaved heads.

~ Zack

Hey -- let me be the first to welcome you to the ZipperHead club (soon!)

Good luck with your surgery. I don't know what is exactly involved - just be sure you are all healed up - watch if you have restrictions put on how much weight you are able to lift - for low long etc...

Take it easy and be sure you heal up. The water is going to still be there when you are better.

I know people say to call DAN - but if your surgery is anything like mine - they will really have no CLUE how to handle it.

Best wishes and be sure to let us know how it turns out.

Kimber

jonnythan:
I dunno how anyone can call invasive brain surgery 'minor' :eyebrow:

Come on jonny -- whats a little brain surgery between friends. I mean look what its done for me!!! (-;

Kimber

Thanks to all for your support.
Man, this waiting around sucks. I will be seeing 4 DRs this week plus tests up the wazoo!
Hope to see you all under the water!!

TekDiveGirl:
Come on jonny -- whats a little brain surgery between friends. I mean look what its done for me!!! (-;

Kimber

That's so true, there's actually no humorous response :eyebrow:

My favorite dive buddy was diagnosed with Astrocytoma 2 1/2 years ago. Hers was inoperable. She was placed on antiseizure medication and given both radio and oral chemptherapy for a year. She has to return every two months for an MRI to monitor the residual which has not regrown so far.

She was lucky that her oncologist at the Kirklin Clinic in Birmingham is an ex Navy Diving Physician. The main concern in clearing her to dive was the threat of seizures even though she has not had one since the intercranial pressure was relieved by shrinkage of the mass during treatment.

She was cleared to dive on the second anniversary of diagnosis and we went to Bonaire in December 2004. The Doctor limited her to 100 feet because of unknown effects of the medication at pressures greater than 4 ATA.

She did 20 dives throughout the week and had absoutely no problems.

With an operable tumor it is possible for you to be cleared to dive sooner. Seek out and consult with a physician knowlegable in diving physiology. Remember that all doctors who dive are not diving physicians.

CAPT HOOK:
just found out I have a tumor on the pituatary gland. Doctor says it's a "minor" operation, but I'm not enthused at the prospect.
Scheduled for the 9th; anyone know if this will affect my diving in the future? Man, can't believe how nervous I have just become!

CAPT HOOK:
Hope to see you all under the water!!

likewise...

we *almost* dove together once (i bet you don't remember)

is your surgery still on for the 9th?

I used to do brain research, and from from what I remember from my breif journey through the pituitary gland, the only thing that might have an effect on diving is the negative feedback loop of Prolactin (produced in the pituitary) and Dopamine which has an effect on movement. If the doctor is refering to this as minor surgery I would assume that there is little threat of damage to the pituitary during surgery.

Probably the biggest concerns that will arise with reguards to your return to diving will be with what comes after the surgery. Obviously no diving until you are healed. Depending on the circumstances you will be on some meds... depending on what you are put on can have issues with diving.

It never hurts to give Dan a call and see what they have to say. Better yet talk to your neurologist. Tell them about the demands diving puts on you, maybe even take along a med waiver for diving (should be able to get that from an instructor at your LDS) for them to look over and see if any of the contraindications will be a problem after your surgery.

Good Luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom