Looks like I,m having brain surgery....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPT HOOK

Contributor
Reaction score
just found out I have a tumor on the pituatary gland. Doctor says it's a "minor" operation, but I'm not enthused at the prospect.
Scheduled for the 9th; anyone know if this will affect my diving in the future? Man, can't believe how nervous I have just become!

Hook,

I don't have any first hand information, but if you're a DAN member I'd give them a call. They have a lot of other post-operation info. My thoughts are with you. I'm sure you'll be back in the water in no time.

I dunno how anyone can call invasive brain surgery 'minor' :eyebrow:

Best of luck to you.. I don't imagine it will affect your diving much, just give some time to heal up. Of course call DAN and talk to your doc about it.

You know what the definition of "minor surgery" is, don't you?

An operation on someone else.

Best of luck to you, I hope all comes out well.

CAPT HOOK:
just found out I have a tumor on the pituatary gland. Doctor says it's a "minor" operation, but I'm not enthused at the prospect.
Scheduled for the 9th; anyone know if this will affect my diving in the future? Man, can't believe how nervous I have just become!

Good luck with your operation. I understand your worry... we'll have good thoughts for you and the propect of diving after.. in the hopes all our scuba gods will hear us.

Best of luck with the operation buddy!
You'll be back on the board in no time :D

I am not a Dr. and don't play one on TV but when the Dr. can show you a picture (CT or MRI scan) that shows the problem and can tell you a clear plan how they handle it then you can sorta trust the 'minor' tag.

Any surgery is serious but not always very risky.

Being nervous is normal and is a good thing. Do some research online and take some steps to make it feel easier and safer for you and then relax as much as you can.

When I had my big back surgery we set my own blood aside so that I didn't need anything from the blood bank. That helped me feel better.

Good Luck

Now RELAX :D

Yikes!!!! I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers... Good luck to you.

CAPT HOOK:
I worked in medicine a long time, no not a physician but familiar with surgical issues in general and I agree with pipedope and J75.

I would call DAN looking for established knowledge base information regarding scuba diving effects on tumors and return to diving.

As scary as it sounds some brain surgeries are less risky, risk being permanent or irreversible brain damage or death.

With the literal diagnosis in medical terminology and procedure (they have names) you can look them up online as well as at a library. If you can find a model or pictures to better understand the tumor location, access route and surrounding structures it may help considerably to understand the ‘minor’ designation.

I suggest you not assume you will be told everything you need to know. You will be told what someone else thinks you need to know. Some people like to know more than others. If you don’t know what you want to know, figure it out. If you don’t ask questions I think it is unrealistic to expect your surgeon to answer them. Personally, I force myself to ask questions when I am afraid of the answer finding it easier to face the known than fear the unknown.

I have had excellent success with Doctors considered having poor bedside manners by writing down direct and concise questions and concerns like; how does this diagnosis/surgery affect me as a Scuba Diver, and I am nervous about…, bringing them with me and taking notes. Having someone accompany you to take notes leaves you free to listen.

If the list is long or you worry he may not have time to answer them all, negotiate with his/her appointment scheduler and get enough time.

You may be directed to an assistant such as Nurse, Surgery Scheduler or Fellow. It has been my experience that people in the medical field take Medicine very seriously (you have to or the accuracy required would drive ‘em right out) and assistants are able to address many issues. One of my greatest pleasures in medicine was taking the time to explain medical terminology in layman’s terms, identify anxiety and make sure ‘my’ surgeon knew and dealt with it.
I do hope you keep us posted.
Aloha nui loa from one of many well wishers,
Lisa

CAPT HOOK:

Best of luck during this new challenge. We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Best Regards,

Dave

Back
Top Bottom