Lightweight rebreather for a recreational diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hatul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is there such a thing as a lightweight rebreather, weighing less than open scuba, and that does not require excessive maintenance and ongoing costs, for recreational diving?

Adam

Is there such a thing as a lightweight rebreather, weighing less than open scuba, and that does not require excessive maintenance and ongoing costs, for recreational diving?

Adam

Titan rebreathers weigh about 38lbs I believe and are supposed to be fairly simple to operate. They are still expensive to buy, maintain, and operate. They also require unit specific training that can be expensive.

This is not an endorsement of the Titan, I have never used one, just remembered seeing something on the weight. I think going into rebreather diving without being prepared for a significant ongoing financial commitment would be dangerous.

Titan rebreathers weigh about 38lbs I believe and are supposed to be fairly simple to operate. They are still expensive to buy, maintain, and operate. They also require unit specific training that can be expensive.

This is not an endorsement of the Titan, I have never used one, just remembered seeing something on the weight. I think going into rebreather diving without being prepared for a significant ongoing financial commitment would be dangerous.

Hello Matt, I see from the website the Titan weighs 48lbs
Titan Dive Gear - Titan eCCR

which is close to open scuba. They don't list the price. I once saw a very lightweight semi closed system but did not get the name.

Adam

Adam

There is a new semi-closed recreational rebreather called the GEM made by KISS rebreathers which uses a world wide standard 80c.f. Nitrox 32%-40% tank and a Extend Air cartridge which will last up to 4 hours in caribbean water temps. Light weight at 18 pounds includes Zeagle wings/harness and equipment. Still use your OC reg for bailout and your own Nitrox computer. Total cost is around US$3,400. All you need to get certified is a Nitrox card and three days of training. Simplicity Engineered.

The MarkIV is a great recreational Closed Circuit rebreather well thought out. Priced little over US$5,000 Training is a 5 day course.

The Titan can be a recreational unit but can take you well beyond recreational. Priced over US$7,000 Recreational training is a 5 day course.

The rEvo II Micro weighs 26Kg (with two steel tanks). Price really depends upon how crazy you want to go with the setup. Probably not the lightest, but it sure is small.

You can look for a used Drager Dolphin. It is semi-closed and very simple to learn and dive. PADI supports and trains for them. They are not made any more but parts are still widely available.

There will be ongoing costs associated with any rebreather.

I may check out the Mk VI demo in San Diego. There is another thread below on this unit and apparently the thing is giving false alarms which the divers are advised to ignore-- cough cough.

I also realized that besides the weight of the unit, more important is the total weight: weight of unit + lead weights. A small heavier unit may actually be better than a large lighter unit, because of buoyancy difference. The actual weight to the diver has to do with the volume displacement of the unit.

Adam

Also consider the Sport Kiss (Kiss Rebreathers and Boosters). With the aluminum counterlung case, a full scrubber, and two 13 cu ft. cylinders it only weighs 38 lbs. It is a fully functional closed circuit rebreather that is marketed to the recreational diver. It is "rated" to 165 fsw though it has been safely a LOT deeper. It lists at under $5000.

If you truly just want minimal bubbles and a "gas-extender", the GEM is perfect for the recreational diving market. You can get over three times the dive time on a cylinder allowing the diver to use the same cylinder for multiple dives or use a much smaller cylinder to save on weight. As mentioned above, it lists for $3400 and the training is only 3 days rather than the usual 5-7 days for closed circuit rebreathers like the Kiss, rEvo, Titan, Opitma, Megalodon, Inspiration/Evolution ..........

Please note that I am biased as I dive and teach both the Kiss CCR (Sport/Classic/Explorer) and the Kiss GEM. However, I am certified on several other rebreathers as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Doug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom