Question Layering under semi-dry - does it help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

benderVIE

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi! I am mostly a warm water diver, and have only recently started to put together my own equipment. For a trip to the Mediterranean I invested in a Camaro XTreme, a 7mm semi-dry suit with integrated socks and hood. For 12°C in 30-40 meters, this was perfectly adequate.

Now I want to start exploring the Austrian lakes, and not just in ideal conditions. Meaning: 4-11°C. The obvious choice would be a dry suit, but I wonder if I can make do with the semi-dry; and if it makes sense to put on layers underneath (think underlings or just plain ski underwear) to keep me warm. My question is: does that even make sense, considering some water ingress will be unavoidable? And does it help at all?

Thanks for your advice!
Ben

It will help with a shorty under ,
but you will need more lead,
Wool clothing was used in the old day, it has some insulation underwater..
I wouldn't use normal clothes

I have ice dived in 7mm 2 piece, in the water not to bad,, it more surface temps that -10 no sun is a pain, if its sunny its alot nicer

Willkommen! I have wondered the same thing. There's definitely water sloshing around in there to a certain extent, it stands to reason that a base layer (underwear) or thin fleece would at least keep the warmer water closer to your skin, but I have never tried it. Typically I think people use a neoprene hooded vest or an electrically heated vest for additional warmth, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom