Learning to Dive Dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The inflator hose valve rides right next to the shoulder dump valve making it hard to distinguish things.
This is confusing... left arm is the suit dump valve which you should be able to reach with no issue. Your wing dump should be out of reach and no way to confuse. Your inflation valve is the center of your chest. Inflator hose goes under your left arm and under left shoulder strap so it stays out of the way.

The inflator hose valve rides right next to the shoulder dump valve making it hard to distinguish things.
A bit of inner tube or bungee around the shoulder strap and inflator feed hose (not the corrugated hose*) will keep the inflator nearer to the center of your chest. I'm guessing your suit vent is on your bicep, which would be close to a "wandering" wing inflator?

(*Bungee the feed hose alone so it slides when you raise the inflator to dump.)

….I'm guessing your suit vent is on your bicep, which would be close to a "wandering" wing inflator?

(*Bungee the feed hose alone so it slides when you raise the inflator to dump.)
Yes, that’s what I meant to say. I do run the feed hose through the left d-ring and attach it to the wing corrugated hose outside the ring so it slides ( I think you probably taught me that some time back), but every thing just kind of lands in one spot (suit arm vent and wing inflator buttons). I am moving the left shoulder d-ring down a bit, so maybe that will help.

Many wings have an elbow whose orientation can be rotated. I wonder if that would help?

I wouldn't move the D-ring lower for this issue alone, as it'll be even harder to find the inflator amidst the additional clutter. It also makes it harder to raise to deflate. I run my D-ring level with the clavicle when standing (which seems high initially, but is perfect for me when actually diving). I'm not actually a fan of running the LPI hose through the D-ring as it won't stretch like a bungee will.

For that matter, my inflator seems to float a little more central than my D-ring. I wonder if your D-ring is dragging it out wider than necessary?

Just spit balling here, it's so hard without actually seeing things.

Many wings have an elbow whose orientation can be rotated. I wonder if that would help?
Mine won’t rotate unless I take it apart. So is this what you mean?
That might help.

Attachments

• IMG_1272.jpeg
    IMG_1272.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1273.jpeg
    IMG_1273.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 8
No really over many decades since horse collars I have lifted my hose
only once, or twice, and try as I might have never ripped the hose out

I mean all that lifting over all your diving what is it about what is it for

Wear tear and arthritis

Yes, remove the collar on the wing, rotate the inner piece a little more vertical, and re-attach the collar. I hadn't considered pointing the inflator button to the left as in your second picture.

And yes, now I see you're not going through the D-ring, but rather through a bungee just above the ring which will stretch. Still, you might test the impact of a bungee that is higher up on the strap.

Yeah great post

I can see it from the standpoint of simplicity, having one gas bubble to manage

Yeah and simplicity means it's supposed to be simpler, and who are we with all the
other things we have to handle, unable to handle an extra bubble amongst friends

Simpletons, no so it's not simplicitous at all and as you suggest the gas will be less

You, do know, the main reason why that infernal hose lifting persists, is so that your basic class instructors
can see that you are at least making an attempt to descend when you are bobbling around on the surface

When you could be diving around quite relaxed, half asleep, with your hands comfortably in your pockets

369 zzzzzz (2).jpg

Next to a growth encrusted shipwreck

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!

Learn to empty the bcd in trim with the hip dump. That will also vent a little suit gas if you are holding too much and have the valve open.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom