KISS rebreather advert: your views

Which answer most strongly describes your views?

• I think the advert is good, and introduced/reinforced the KISS brand to me

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • I think the advert is good, and made me think about my views on technical diving

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I think the advert is bad as it is objectifying women as sex objects

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • I think the advert is bad as it is portraying an attractive lady as stupid

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have no strong opinions on the advert

Votes: 31 37.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cruiser:
I surf the internet at work and when the greasy woman with boobs pops up on the screen, all of a sudden my surfing becomes "inappropriate" and attracts too much attention of people walking by my desk.

So you are saying, the ad is inappropriate, because it attracts too much attention to your wasting paid working time to surf the net??

:rofl3:

Blox:
So you are saying, the ad is inappropriate, because it attracts too much attention to your wasting paid working time to surf the net??

:rofl3:
Thats why I love my job.. Nobody around to see what Im surfing :rofl3:

I dont really surf inappropriate sites anyways tho, Its like looking at the candy without being able to have any.. But I COULD!!

Blox:
...I've got 2 daughters, both teenagers. You bet that we are filtering, what they are exposed to. However, isolating them from everything that we may consider "dirty", "ugly" or "undesirable" is, IMHO, not the the right way to go about it (and won't work anyway, unless you lock them up in their rooms at home). Isolating them from everything "bad" and "ugly" will not prepare them for a life on their own, will not open their minds, will not make them ready to stand on their own,and to make reasoned, considered choices and to decide on their own, what's good and what's bad, what's right and what's wrong for them, once they venture out on their own. Feeding them a controlled dose of "real world" and helping them to ask the right questions, and to think about things and make a considered judgment, is IMHO the better way to go.
bold added

Your whole statement is brilliant. By the time we have teenagers, you cannot be there at all times to protect, enlighten and guide them - or make decisions for them. The learning that you have instilled in them from a very young age - a sense of self-esteem, care for the self and others, a sense of community, a healthy work ethic, the desire to be a productive citizen, to consider ideas thoughtfully, to communicate, to make increasingly complex choices as they mature, the ability to problem-solve - all of this early learning will give your teenagers and young adults the tools to make appropriate decisions for their lives and avoid careless decisions. Particularly when you as a parent are not there to shelter them or make choices for them. :)

Mike, it seems like a pop-up blocker would solve your functionality issues. I don't have any of the issues you describe...

Ayisha:
Mike, it seems like a pop-up blocker would solve your functionality issues. I don't have any of the issues you describe...

Come to think about it - uninstalling the flash plugin should also rid you of the (animated) ads on Scubaboard for good (I'm not sure whether you'll get warning messages from your browser though, if you do - maybe worth a try if it really bothers you so much).

Blox:
Come to think about it - uninstalling the flash plugin should also rid you of the (animated) ads on Scubaboard for good (I'm not sure whether you'll get warning messages from your browser though, if you do - maybe worth a try if it really bothers you so much).
Flash is not installed on this computer, I still get the "oily bikini lady with rebreather add" and in addition i get a stupid message every 2nd time or so i change pages if i wanna install said flash player...
Animated adds often is NOT flash objects..

Geoff_H:

why do i think there is something wrong about an oiled girl in bikini with the camera all angled up in the wrong places (you can barely see the rebreather) if the purpose of the ad was to target male divers???

because like some of the people here stressed, the ad is marketing a rebreather... not some liquor product or a condom or some bar in some obscure tourist town...

there are always proper approaches for any type of product advertised. u dont put models dressed up as nuns to promote the use of condoms (this is rather a hyperbole).

now saying something is wrong about it is not synonymous to it being effective. the fact that the "sex sells" idea is used over and over again even at the point of unsuitability or impropriety is because it always works!

but i personally believe the end does not justify the means...

Tigerman:
Flash is not installed on this computer, I still get the "oily bikini lady with rebreather add" and in addition i get a stupid message every 2nd time or so i change pages if i wanna install said flash player...

I don't have the flash player installed either and I also constantly get the message about installing it...it's up now in fact. I'm glad this came up though because I didn't know why I was getting it. It didn't start until fairly recently. Somebody just wants to help me see more ads, huh?

I do of course have pop-up blockers, anti-spyware, antivirus and whatever.

MikeFerrara:
Well, I have thought about it and I don't think I'll be doing it. While I might be willing to pay Pete to pipe scubaboard into my house, I will not pay him to NOT to pipe stupid ads in. It's more cost effective to hit the 'X' in the upper right hand corner. I'm not saying that it's time to do that yet. This stupid ad is only marginally more stupid than some of the others and while it's interesting to discuss I don't see any "capitol' crimes here. LOL

Mike, or should I say Scubaboard Guru.

I would assume from the astounding number of posts you have stamped under your name that you spend an inconceivable amount of time setting in your lazy chair reading an astonishing quantity of threads on this board.

If I were to guess the amount of time you spend on this site, I would say a minimum of 2 hours a day. Take this times the average 30 days in a month would total a minimum of 60+ hours a month.

The $3.95 monthly fee for the Scuba Board if not designed just to cut advertisement, but to support the people who spend countless hours making this board possible for you. Like you, all these people have to put food on their tables for their families and gas in their cars so they can go to work.

Calculating the amount of time you spend here equals 0.109 or 1/10th of a cent is what you would be spending for each minute you’re on this board.

I’d say out of 99.9% of the people who spend time and post here, you without a doubt should be paying the $3.95 a month.

I would say its time for you to get off your wallet and support the Scuba Board with something other than your obvious infinite amounts of dive wisdom; which I know I have gained so much added knowledge from. Thank God

If you sign up and promise you will continue paying, I myself will pay for 3 years, up front and give the Scuba Board a $1000.00 ad per issue in Advanced Diver Magazine a $500 ad per issue in ADM E-Zine and a $100 ADM On-Line web banner link. A total advertisement package value of $6242.20 per year.

All you have to come up with is a measly $47.40 for one year. But I want to see a copy of the check posted here on this thread.

Time to buck up!

Tigerman:

You're right about that - could be an animated GIF too. In that case, only switching off display of images would help - but that'll pretty much ruin the experience altogether.

Maybe sticking some duct tape on the left-most 2 or 3 inches of the screen is the solution :wink:

Curt Bowen:
but to support the people who spend countless hours making this board possible for you.
Errrrrrrm......MOST of them actually get paid nothing.....like Mike and I did putting in hundreds of hours (maybe even thousands) voluntarily for the good of the board. I should imagine that, like myself, Mike's post count is also due mainly to that work.
The only other people who hit those kind of post count totals are the chatters - and I don't think Mike qualifies for that - as I don't either.

Of course the site costs something to run....but let's not over do it huh? :D

Some people have already paid their dues! :crafty:

Back
Top Bottom