Just got my new Seaskin Nova -- The Good and the Ehhhhh...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not about making a "nice" website; it's about using basic (and I mean f-ing basic) principles of information design. I'm particularly worked up about this issue because I'm a technical communication professor; I teach people how to do this kind of stuff, and what Seaskin has done is almost stupidly wrong.
How are you at making drysuits? I know it’s confusing they may feel that they don’t want to spend the time tracking down every other companies compatibility with their product.

Found it, I think... Dunno as I want to perform surgery on the cuffs, though. And the video specifies the Rolock 3, whereas I've got an Ultima system and a Rolock 90 system. Dunno enough about the similarities/differences to feel comfortable chopping away.
I would probably be hesitant too but the RoLock is worth the trouble, it may be worth the expense to have Seaskin do the alteration although with the cost of shipping nowadays it may cost less to order another suit and sell this one when the new one comes in.
There's "knot" enough slack. I got the wide suspenders, so the knot would be quite large, and I'm also 6'4", so the suspenders are already pretty tight even though they're extended all the way.
No experience with the wide ones, haven’t felt they would offer any benefit. Do you have enough slack for the tri glide solution?

Reactions: Zef
How are you at making drysuits? I know it’s confusing they may feel that they don’t want to spend the time tracking down every other companies compatibility with their product.
Nah. I could go into more detail with an explanation, but in short, Seaskin has all the compatibility info on their website. Problem is, the info is scattered. Their website is a textbook case of how NOT to organize information effectively.

I would probably be hesitant too but the RoLock is worth the trouble, it may be worth the expense to have Seaskin do the alteration although with the cost of shipping nowadays it may cost less to order another suit and sell this one when the new one comes in.
I've written a sternly worded email to Seaskin that details their failings (*shakey-shakey of the pointy-finger*) and asked for them to either cover costs for replacing the cuffs or to partially refund me. I figure I might shame thirty-odd quid out of them.

No experience with the wide ones, haven’t felt they would offer any benefit. Do you have enough slack for the tri glide solution?
Based on the one successful dive I had with the new suit, the wide straps stay in place better and feel more comfortable. I think they're worth the small extra outlay.

Re: the tri-glide solution, there'd barely be enough slack for them, and shipping would cost more than they cost. I'm currently trying fabric glue. If that doesn't work, I'll post a notice on the neighborhood FB group and ask if anyone with a sewing machine wants to earn five bucks.

Speedy stitcher or equivalent. Handy for lots of things.

My apologies upfront if this comes across as rubbing salt in your wounds:

I don't own anything from Seaskin (yet) and I am in no way exonerating them for their website that could be improved BUT...

...you invested in an expensive product (though not as expensive as competing products) and it does not seem like you called or emailed them to discuss the product and ensure its features were the ones you wanted. Some simple communication initiated by you could have provided some protection against investing in the wrong things.

Likewise, a call or email to Light Monkey could have resulted in some imparted information about the use of their product.

Realize that Seaskin offers some of the best prices on the globe for Si-Tech drysuit accessories, so my bet is that it is not uncommon for folks to order extra kit when they purchase a drysuit. Seaskin probably maintains the perspective that the purchaser knows what they want and may have thought you were purchasing the Rolock glove ring system for another suit you or a dive partner own.

Could they have called or emailed you to ensure the order was correct? Yeah, maybe....but just because the owners of Seaskin might be divers/dive enthusiasts, that may not be true of everyone on their production team.

Hopefully they will regard your message and institute a compatibility check for future orders.

Two other things:
1) in the time it took you to post your messages here, you could have whipped out a needle and thread and thrown a few stitches in the ends of your suspenders to have them set up however you want them...some folks really like suspenders in their drysuit and some don't. Some don't know until they have used them....my bet is that Seaskin does not sew the ends to the buckles so they can be removed if one chooses to.

2) The video of the Si-Tech QCP ring modification for the original Rolock system (not to be confused with Rolock 90), was mad by Chris from divezonescuba

I can't recall if it was you who I corresponded with in another thread about the Rolock 90, but I would be happy to buy them from you if you decide to not modify your suit. From my understanding, the original Rolock system works just as well as the Rolock 90, and your round wrist rings can be easily adapted to work with them.

I am sure you will get things sorted the way you want them to be and you will find enjoyment from your new kit. At the very least you have first hand information about a bunch of products to chime in with when others post questions.

Best of luck to you,and let me know about those Rolock 90s.

-Z

...you invested in an expensive product (though not as expensive as competing products) and it does not seem like you called or emailed them to discuss the product and ensure its features were the ones you wanted. Some simple communication initiated by you could have provided some protection against investing in the wrong things.
You assume too much. I contacted Seaskin, but not about the cuffs, as I was bamboozled by the website's seemingly complete information.

Likewise, a call or email to Light Monkey could have resulted in some imparted information about the use of their product.
Why should I contact Light Monkey? "Heeeeey...I just bought this product of yours that seems really idiot-resistant, so I'm calling you..." Nah. The sort of info that they didn't provide -- "turn the knob before you pee so's you don't whiz on yourself" -- is exactly the kind of info they should provide as a matter of course.

The lack of information implies the lack of need for information.

Realize that Seaskin offers some of the best prices on the globe for Si-Tech drysuit accessories, so my bet is that it is not uncommon for folks to order extra kit when they purchase a drysuit. Seaskin probably maintains the perspective that the purchaser knows what they want and may have thought you were purchasing the Rolock glove ring system for another suit you or a dive partner own.
I didn't buy the Rolock system from Seaskin. I got it from another SB member.

Two other things:
1) in the time it took you to post your messages here, you could have whipped out a needle and thread and thrown a few stitches in the ends of your suspenders to have them set up however you want them...
I haven't owned a needle and thread for years now. And I'd need a thimble. That makes three things I'd never, ever use again. I'mma go buy a tailor's awl, as that will likely come in more useful; my Hollis rockboots' seams are starting to come apart.

And venting is therapeutic.

I can't recall if it was you who I corresponded with in another thread about the Rolock 90, but I would be happy to buy them from you if you decide to not modify your suit. From my understanding, the original Rolock system works just as well as the Rolock 90, and your round wrist rings can be easily adapted to work with them.
'Twarn't me you wrote to, but I read that thread, mere days after the new drysuit arrived... I'm not sure if I'll keep my Ultimas or switch to the Rolock 90s, but if I decide to sell the Rolocks, I'll let you know. Either way, I'mma need to do something about the 60910 cuffs.

You assume too much. I contacted Seaskin, but not about the cuffs, as I was bamboozled by the website's seemingly complete information.

Why should I contact Light Monkey? "Heeeeey...I just bought this product of yours that seems really idiot-resistant, so I'm calling you..." Nah. The sort of info that they didn't provide -- "turn the knob before you pee so's you don't whiz on yourself" -- is exactly the kind of info they should provide as a matter of course.

The lack of information implies the lack of need for information.

I didn't buy the Rolock system from Seaskin. I got it from another SB member.

I haven't owned a needle and thread for years now. And I'd need a thimble. That makes three things I'd never, ever use again. I'mma go buy a tailor's awl, as that will likely come in more useful; my Hollis rockboots' seams are starting to come apart.

And venting is therapeutic.

'Twarn't me you wrote to, but I read that thread, mere days after the new drysuit arrived... I'm not sure if I'll keep my Ultimas or switch to the Rolock 90s, but if I decide to sell the Rolocks, I'll let you know. Either way, I'mma need to do something about the 60910 cuffs.

I do assume to much, especially of a "Communications Professor", Technical or otherwise.

Also, regarding Light Monkey....I am not the one who pissed themself.

And it is harder to get on board with the notion that Seaskin "bamboozled" you, given that you purchased a drysuit with a wrist cuff system and then purchased your dryglove rings from another source....there was no reason for them to question your purchase or compatability check what you were planning to do with it. You simply selected the wrong option(s).

With regards to how long it has been since you have needed a needle and thread (and, oh yeah, a thimble too...eyes rolling)...well you can certainly use one now but hey, don't acquire them because those 3 things are oh so expensive and they take up so much darn space in your abode that I can certainly understand the inconvenience of having them. I will chalk up your response about this to you just being a tad bit ignorant and indignant.

Regardless of whom you want to blame, all your woes are yours to own whether you want to admit it or not.

Good luck with your kit and happy diving to you.

-Z

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom