July in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hola everyone, well, we just got home from our quick trip, and I wanted to give a trip report. We stayed at Park Royal, and were diving with Jeremy at Living Underwater. Park Royal was a pleasant surprise...we have stayed almost everywhere in Coz., and wanted to give this one a try, and it was lovely. Nice rooms, great view (if the cruisers are not in), and actually very good food. We did not spend a lot of time at the hotel because we were on the dive boat most of the day, but while there, I really liked it. Living Underwater was the best dive op I have used in Cozumel....we had a blast with Karen, Nancy, Marg, Richard, and Joe...and of course Jeremy and the crew! It was truly top notch service, and we will definately dive with them again. I hope everyone else that is going in July has a great time! Can't wait to get back....hopefully Oct.!

Ok so I see there are 100's of dive companies in both Cozumel and Playa del Carmen. Does anyone know if any of the companies offer hotel pickup from Cancun? Or is it best to stick with the diving on offer in Cancun?

Thanks in advance!
Karl & Fran

So - I think you'll find that the dive shops in Cancun arrange travel to Cozumel. A dive trip from Cancun to Cozumel is a full day trip. It will entail a van/bus ride down to Playa from your hotel (1 hour) and catching the ocean ferry across (12 miles) arrival in Cozumel, getting on a dive boat for about 4 hours (2 tanks) and a return trip.

If you want you can simply book with the dive shop that has a desk in your hotel (aqua world, I bet).

Now - that being said:

1) I don't like aquaworld in Cancun - big boats, tons of divers (IMHO)
2) I don't know if aquaworld in Cozumel is similar - never tried them after diving them once in Cancun
3) Cozumel is great, but diving in Cancun isn't bad either

IF IT WAS ME, I wouldn't make the day trip to Cozumel. I would simply come back to Cozumel next year :wink:

There is a guy in Cancun named Ben Mooney. He's an Aussie, running a dive op down there. He use to run Mayan Aqua Divers for someone else. He and DM started their own shop - scorpio divers I think. I haven't used the new shop - but based on my experience with Ben, when we go back to Cancun, we will be.

Email him: the following has his email addressnScorpio Divers // Scuba Diving // Diving the way it should be.// Scuba Diving Cancun Puerto Morelos Cozumel Cenotes

Also, if you really to go to Cozumel, he can likely guide you that way too, setting everything up for you.

Got in the first dive this morning and surfaced to a closed port. Glad we hit it early! Villa Blanca Wall. Took lionfish #6. Anemone gobbled him up as if it'd been waiting to be served breakfast.
Lobsters were out, and we saw several donut-sized yellow-tailed stingrays.
Looked for seahorses, but no luck.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Just returned on June 30th. Stayed and dove with Scuba Club Cozumel. Palancar reef was gorgeous - didn't make it as far south as Punta Sur. Have a great trip!

Got in the first dive this morning and surfaced to a closed port. Glad we hit it early! Villa Blanca Wall. Took lionfish #6. Anemone gobbled him up as if it'd been waiting to be served breakfast.
Lobsters were out, and we saw several donut-sized yellow-tailed stingrays.
Looked for seahorses, but no luck.

http://img809.imageshack.us/i/whitenosedface.jpg/

Coming down on Friday, hope the weather has long since cleared by then. Looking at weather reports, it seems like it isn't that windy (never really trust the reports though, the closest reporting station I can find is close to playa). Ocean must be pretty choppy if the harbormaster shut everyone down.

Update us and let us know how things look tomorrow - p-p-please?

Sal, why is the port closed?

Last night a low pressure system formed over us. Wind, rain, rollers, surface chop... it was a bit rocky this morning, and around the 7:30 or 8:00am update from the harbor master (I think), he closed the port.
Don't know if they reopened today. We've been socked in all day. Perfect siesta day!

Word is that it'll move out of the area tonight and we'll be diving tomorrow. I check a number of places - looking at the weather, but I like:
Atlantic Graphical Tropical Weather Outlook
National Weather Service Marine Forecast

Regular weather outlets seem to post the same thing for every day here!!

Hey Gregorio! What do you use?

We've had rain and windy weather a number of times in the past three weeks that I have been here. All events have been only a couple of days - except the wind, which kept us out of the far south for several days, though we were diving closer in than Coumbia and Punta Sur...

But, c'mon in! The water's fine!

I know. It's a fish butt. But it's a lovely cave bass butt... The coy look back steals my heart.

Just booked a Coz trip, July 17-24 and staying at Park Royal; have to start seeing which dive op has 1 opening but leaning towards Blue Angel based on past experiences.

Steve

Diving with Scuba Mau :D

I know its only March but I am so excited! miss_chelsy and I will once again be in Cozumel from July 18-25. We plan to dive with Deep Blue again since we had an awesome time with them last year! Got a great deal, booked last week and now we just wait till July.....

I know how you feel! Consider yourself lucky; I have to wait until December! :cool2:

Jeff-
How about Sunday, 7-11? Maybe do them early? What time does your dive day end?

Sal, I'm definitely up for Sunday. Sunday is also the World Cup final match that I believe starts at around 1:30pm. I may have to cancel diving for Sunday afternoon for some World Cup and some margaritas!

I can do afternoon or early evening...whatever works best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom