I’ve read it all and still need opinions on computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Deep 6 can be worn all day. Just bought a 2nd one for my 14yr old son as his first DC. He is very small of frame (<5' and proportionate), but can wear it all day without issue. It is a re-branded computer but Deep 6 had input from the beginning and will support you fully. They have fantastic customer service and are active here on the boards. The DC runs a good algorithm and it is easy to use. It is specifically designed for recreational use, and as long as you don't need AI it will do exactly what you need. It's rechargeable using a standard USB-C cable and can be worn with all day comfortable NATO style straps or switched over easily to almost any standard 22mm strap. For my son's very small wrist the NATO strap works out perfect, and it also fits my larger wrist without issue. You can even get a savings when you buy 2!! There is also an iOS and Android app available.

If I was looking for AI, my personal choice would be the Teric. If I needed bigger size but no AI then the Peregrine. Bigger size AND AI then Shearwater still has you covered. The other options I would consider are the Atmos One and the Descent. The Peregrine seems to be out for you due to size. Other Shearwaters are expensive, as is the Descent. The Atmos One seems like a logical contender though. But my money went to the Deep 6 Excursion. Twice. And will go again for diver #7 in our family. If it had been available sooner I'd have bought it instead of the Cressi Leonardo's (x3) and the Tusa Talis (x2).

I never wear a watch in daily life, but enjoy wearing one 24-7 while on diving vacation
From your first post above, just wear any cheap watch on vacation and buy a dive computer you can read underwater, I tried the wear and dive option with the Aqualung i450T [good watch, and computer] on vacation, but I have trouble reading it underwater where it counts, now have a Shearwater Peregrine I can read underwater [only one dive so far], I know I know, I have said buy a Shearwater "BINGO", there are others like it , big and bright with colour.
More bang for your buck, that is not an Australian expression, but true, and you can see the bloody thing underwater.
Edit: typos.

It's rechargeable using a standard USB-C cable
It is actually a standard USB A-Male to Micro B cable, not a USB-C.

and a funky proprietary connector....

(FTR - I do own one.....)
Yeah, but it is smaller and lighter than the official Teric charger!
Shearwater said to beware using anything other than their supplied charger. I don't know if that is still true with the newer batteries they are using.

The Deep 6 can be worn all day. Just bought a 2nd one for my 14yr old son as his first DC. He is very small of frame (<5' and proportionate), but can wear it all day without issue. It is a re-branded computer but Deep 6 had input from the beginning and will support you fully. They have fantastic customer service and are active here on the boards. The DC runs a good algorithm and it is easy to use. It is specifically designed for recreational use, and as long as you don't need AI it will do exactly what you need. It's rechargeable using a standard USB-C cable and can be worn with all day comfortable NATO style straps or switched over easily to almost any standard 22mm strap. For my son's very small wrist the NATO strap works out perfect, and it also fits my larger wrist without issue. You can even get a savings when you buy 2!! There is also an iOS and Android app available.

If I was looking for AI, my personal choice would be the Teric. If I needed bigger size but no AI then the Peregrine. Bigger size AND AI then Shearwater still has you covered. The other options I would consider are the Atmos One and the Descent. The Peregrine seems to be out for you due to size. Other Shearwaters are expensive, as is the Descent. The Atmos One seems like a logical contender though. But my money went to the Deep 6 Excursion. Twice. And will go again for diver #7 in our family. If it had been available sooner I'd have bought it instead of the Cressi Leonardo's (x3) and the Tusa Talis (x2).
I really like the look and size and the company behind the Teric. If I was just buying for myself, it would be a no-brainer. Since I’m buying for my wife as well, that’s a large chunk of change. If Shearwater could make something like the Teric for 500$, they would own the dive computer market.

From your first post above, just wear any cheap watch on vacation and buy a dive computer you can read underwater, I tried the wear and dive option with the Aqualung i450T [good watch, and computer] on vacation, but I have trouble reading it underwater where it counts, now have a Shearwater Peregrine I can read underwater [only one dive so far], I know I know, I have said buy a Shearwater "BINGO", there are others like it , big and bright with colour.
More bang for your buck, that is not an Australian expression, but true, and you can see the bloody thing underwater.
Edit: typos.
Good advice, I will look harder at the Peregrine. I really have not read one negative review on a Shearwater computer.

To all the divers that are using large dive computers ( Perdix, peregrine ect...) when you are on vacation and you are done with your morning dives, do you take it off and keep it in your hotel room? A big part of my wanting a wrist watch sized computer is so I will want to and can comfortably leave it on for the duration of my vacation. I am scared of taking it off and losing it. I have stayed in a few hotels and or condos that don’t offer a safe.

I usually bring my Perdix, regs, backplate, and wing on vacation, so the Perdix often lives in the reg bag. Compared to hiding the rest of the gear (which is usually left out drying), hiding a dive computer is the least of my worries . :)

Good advice, I will look harder at the Peregrine. I really have not read one negative review on a Shearwater computer.

They don't have a paper manual that you can toss into your save a dive kit.

There now you have one bad review.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom