I’ve read it all and still need opinions on computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really like the look and size and the company behind the Teric. If I was just buying for myself, it would be a no-brainer. Since I’m buying for my wife as well, that’s a large chunk of change. If Shearwater could make something like the Teric for 500$, they would own the dive computer market.
Do you and your wife have to have the same computer? Or just computers from the same company so a lot of stuff is the same, like the logging programs and displays? Does she want to wear hers as a wristwatch, or would something like the Peregrine suit her?

it's one of those rules for everything [my wife says men often do] " When all else fails, read the manual".

To all the divers that are using large dive computers ( Perdix, peregrine ect...) when you are on vacation and you are done with your morning dives, do you take it off and keep it in your hotel room? A big part of my wanting a wrist watch sized computer is so I will want to and can comfortably leave it on for the duration of my vacation. I am scared of taking it off and losing it. I have stayed in a few hotels and or condos that don’t offer a safe.

Before my brand new Aqua Lung i200c failed on me during its first dive trip, I wore it all the time as a watch, but what was annoying about that is that a dive computer worn all the time sticks up a lot higher on your wrist than a regular wristwatch and it tended to catch on everything like putting on a jacket and just generally getting bumped while going about my day.

In my pictures here from left to right is my cheap Casio water resistant watch, 15 years old and still ticking. This is my water vacation watch, so I can go boating or swimming or snorkeling. The next one is my 10-year-old (now backup) Oceanic computer, then my new Shearwater Peregrine, which is my primary dive computer now. It hasn't gotten wet yet, but if all goes as planned, I'll be diving in the Bahamas in 2 weeks.:yeahbaby:

When I'm finished diving and rinsing equipment, I leave my computer on the hotel sink to dry till the next dive or next day. As divers, we've got a lot of expensive equipment and I've never had any issues with theft from hotel staff or thieves breaking in. However, if you're worried about it, you can dry it off after rinsing and bury it in your suitcase and lock your suitcase when you leave your hotel room. Pro Tip: Avoid staying on the ground floor of a hotel to make it harder to break into your room. Yes, thieves have been known to climb railings and such, but why make it easy for them? For hotels without safes, you can buy a portable travel safe on Amazon. This is the one I got. "Master Lock 5900D Set Your Own Combination Portable Safe, 9-17/32 in. Wide, Gunmetal Grey". Computers.jpg

Do you and your wife have to have the same computer? Or just computers from the same company so a lot of stuff is the same, like the logging programs and displays? Does she want to wear hers as a wristwatch, or would something like the Peregrine suit her?
Hmm... good questions. She is pretty much game to whatever I decide. I would prefer us to have the same computer so that we are diving near the same algorithm and I hate to admit it but she is really good on the technical end of computers and such. I could rely (me lazy) on her to do all the Bluetooth syncing and program setups. She wears a decent size Garmin Smartwatch daily so the Peregrine would be in her wheelhouse. I have been doing a lot of thinking about the Peregrine today and it may be growing on me. It’s not ai, though but honestly I don’t know if I really want or need that anyway. I just don’t want to regret not having it in a year or two.

Before my brand new Aqua Lung i200c failed on me during its first dive trip, I wore it all the time as a watch, but what was annoying about that is that a dive computer worn all the time sticks up a lot higher on your wrist than a regular wristwatch and it tended to catch on everything like putting on a jacket and just generally getting bumped while going about my day.

In my pictures here from left to right is my cheap Casio water resistant watch, 15 years old and still ticking. This is my water vacation watch, so I can go boating or swimming or snorkeling. The next one is my 10-year-old (now backup) Oceanic computer, then my new Shearwater Peregrine, which is my primary dive computer now. It hasn't gotten wet yet, but if all goes as planned, I'll be diving in the Bahamas in 2 weeks.:yeahbaby:

When I'm finished diving and rinsing equipment, I leave my computer on the hotel sink to dry till the next dive or next day. As divers, we've got a lot of expensive equipment and I've never had any issues with theft from hotel staff or thieves breaking in. However, if you're worried about it, you can dry it off after rinsing and bury it in your suitcase and lock your suitcase when you leave your hotel room. Pro Tip: Avoid staying on the ground floor of a hotel to make it harder to break into your room. Yes, thieves have been known to climb railings and such, but why make it easy for them? For hotels without safes, you can buy a portable travel safe on Amazon. This is the one I got. "Master Lock 5900D Set Your Own Combination Portable Safe, 9-17/32 in. Wide, Gunmetal Grey".View attachment 635976
That’s too bad about the 200 failing on first use. The LDS said they only had two that had a button issue and that aqualung took care of the issue and I guess corrected the problem. He said since they corrected the problem, he hasn’t had come issue with the maybe 20 200’s he has sold. Idk.

Back
Top Bottom