I’ve read it all and still need opinions on computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grateful head

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello, I’ve read pages and pages and still need opinions and advise. I’m a warm water recreational diver with close to 50 dives. Looking to buy a new wrist dive computer. I currently have an old Suunto mosquito. I have been certified for over 20 years but now with the kids out of the house and on their own, I can allocate more time and resources to this awesome hobby. Looking for a wrist watch sized dive computer. I never wear a watch in daily life, but enjoy wearing one 24-7 while on diving vacation. I have been researching these for about a month solid but still have questions. Primarily all my diving has been easy Caribbean rec diving. May consider Great Lakes diving in the future. So... I’m looking for a computer to possibly grow into. I will never do tec diving, just warm water rec and possible summer Great Lakes. Looking for a smaller wrist size, Bluetooth to log dives to I phone and possible air integration. LDS carries the aqualung brand so I have been looking at the 470 or the 200 (non ai). Trying to buy local and support the small guy but also want something reliable and usable. Thoughts greatly appreciated

I am using cheap Cressi Newton (costs appr. USD 270). It has nitrox option, ability to transfer divelog through cable. AI integrated computers are usually more expensive. Before buying computer think what functions do you really need. Of course you can buy Shearwater Perdix AI and get the best available dive computer in the market, however, in my opinion it is overkill for ordinary recreation diver.

Hello, I’ve read pages and pages and still need opinions and advise. I’m a warm water recreational diver with close to 50 dives. Looking to buy a new wrist dive computer. I currently have an old Suunto mosquito. I have been certified for over 20 years but now with the kids out of the house and on their own, I can allocate more time and resources to this awesome hobby. Looking for a wrist watch sized dive computer. I never wear a watch in daily life, but enjoy wearing one 24-7 while on diving vacation. I have been researching these for about a month solid but still have questions. Primarily all my diving has been easy Caribbean rec diving. May consider Great Lakes diving in the future. So... I’m looking for a computer to possibly grow into. I will never do tec diving, just warm water rec and possible summer Great Lakes. Looking for a smaller wrist size, Bluetooth to log dives to I phone and possible air integration. LDS carries the aqualung brand so I have been looking at the 470 or the 200 (non ai). Trying to buy local and support the small guy but also want something reliable and usable. Thoughts greatly appreciated

Shearwater Peregrine. Non AI but good otherwise. Don’t worry about your wrist size. I have small wrists and I just wear my two Perdix on my forearms. Sort of have to, anyway, due to dry glove wrist cuffs.

The first 2 questions I have for you is how old are you and how are your eyes. Both questions relate to the same issue. I started diving again at 54 and purchased an Oceanic Geo 2. My mask has gauge readers in them, so it’s not too bad, but at 59 I’m thinking a larger face with bigger digits would be nice. If you’re not doing readers yet, or just started, this shouldn’t be a factor.
Now, like you, I wear my computer the whole time when I’m on a dive vacation and the Geo 4 (replacement for the 2) is just a bit big.
Erik

The Aqualung 470TC is a good computer at a decent price and you can add a transmitter if you want air integration. I am currently using an Oceanic OCi and the main difference is the bluetooth connection, both computers are made on the same basic platform by Pelagic Pressure Systems and are compatible with any Pelagic transmitter for AI.

Shearwater Petral 2. Nice bright display for us older divers :) Built in compass. Great product. Great warranty and service.

One other difference between the Aqualung 470TC and the Oceanic OCi that @Lostdiver71 is referring to is the algorithm. They both do PZ+ but the Oceanics will also do DSAT, which is not quite as conservative. This may, or may not, matter to you.

Before I got into rebreather & trimix diving, I used Oceanic wristwatch computers. I still have an OCi. Their newer computers can use either their own algorithm or Buhlmann and have AI capabilities and are light enough to wear like a watch everyday when you are on vacation. It looks like the newer Geo 4.0 has Bluetooth and could be a good option.

I have a Shearwater Teric which is a great wristwatch size computer but probably overkill for what you need.

As RIHappyDiver indicates, you should also consider eyesight, especially on a wrist size computer.

The Shearwater Perdix and now also the Peregrine would be great options for larger screen sizes, but they are definitely not "wristwatch" computers that you would wear when you are on vacation but aren't diving.

- brett

If you're gonna get upsold on a recreational computer, my advice is to go for a better screen rather than go for air integration. To that point, I agree with @Marie13 's recommendation for the Peregrine. If I were on the market, I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat.

I don't know where in WI you're at, but is your favorite local dive shop a Shearwater dealer? If not, there are a few in the Green Bay, Madison, and Milwaukee areas: Shearwater Dive Computers Worldwide Dealer Locations

Best of luck

If you're gonna get upsold on a recreational computer, my advice is to go for a better screen rather than go for air integration. To that point, I agree with @Marie13 's recommendation for the Peregrine. If I were on the market, I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat.

I don't know where in WI you're at, but is your favorite local dive shop a Shearwater dealer? If not, there are a few in the Green Bay, Madison, and Milwaukee areas: Shearwater Dive Computers Worldwide Dealer Locations

Best of luck

Diversions in Madison is an excellent shop and is also a Shearwater dealer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom