I’ve read it all and still need opinions on computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe this needs its own thread but for those of you sticking around this one... how many of you would or did buy your computer online? I would have to do that if I bought the Shearwater which would mean no close technical or warranty support if I needed it. No LDS carry that brand.
Sorry if you missed this a few pages ago, but there are several shops in the cities of Wisconsin who deal with Shearwater: Shearwater Dive Computers Worldwide Dealer Locations

Not sure what the covid situation is like out in WI, but if you're able to travel to Green Bay, Milwaukee, or Madison, then you should be good to go.

Last year I upgraded from my DeepBlu Cosmiq+ ($350 new) to a used Shearwater Teric AI /w transmitter for $1000, from a user here on SB. A brand-new Peregrine is $450, but they didn't exist at that time. The Peregrine can do any nitrox dive, deco dives with up to 3 tanks with pure O2. So any open-circuit dive without helium.

If I had to do it again today, I'd probably go with the Peregrine, especially if I were buying two. Yeah the AI is "nice," but an extra thousand dollars in my wallet is pretty "nice" too. Yeah, the Teric can do dives that I'm not ready for (tech dives w/ helium in the mix). But it will be a long time before I can do dives the Teric can do but the Peregrine cannot, and for those dives, we're talking a couple hundred bucks per dive for the tank fills alone. Not sure if I'll ever want to cough up for that, even if I do get there some day training-wise.

I'm glad to hear that you're warming up to the form factor of these computers. There's a reason why people say Shearwaters are the best: it's because they are. Enjoy your diving @Grateful head :coffee:
You make a solid point about it being “nice” to have the extra cash in my pocket. I like that.

Maybe this needs its own thread but for those of you sticking around this one... how many of you would or did buy your computer online? I would have to do that if I bought the Shearwater which would mean no close technical or warranty support if I needed it. No LDS carry that brand.

If my LDS carries what I want I buy from them, if not I buy online.

Problems with a computer will need to go to the manufacturer so not an issue.

Shearwater prices are going to be the same regardless of where you buy, so might as well give a LDS your business.

Petrel1 - purchased online through DGX
Pedrix AI - purchased online through DGX
Perigrine (daughter's) - purchased used here on SB

When I bought the first two, they were "hens teeth" around here, so to get one, a local purchase wasn't going to happen.

I'm not sure what you think a LDS is going to do regarding support, or what you expect that support to be. If you were to have a problem with the PDC, you woul be dealing with SW's Tech support to diagnose, and either be sending a faulty unit to their US Service Center, or Canada if repairs are needed. I do see DGX offers some form of a "maintenance", but not sure if that is in-house, or just being a middle-man.

Sure, money spent at your LDS helps keep the lights on, but doesn't do a thing for you in regard to your SW computer....

Petrel1 - purchased online through DGX
Pedrix AI - purchased online through DGX
Perigrine (daughter's) - purchased used here on SB

When I bought the first two, they were "hens teeth" around here, so to get one, a local purchase wasn't going to happen.

I'm not sure what you think a LDS is going to do regarding support, or what you expect that support to be. If you were to have a problem with the PDC, you woul be dealing with SW's Tech support to diagnose, and either be sending a faulty unit to their US Service Center, or Canada if repairs are needed. I do see DGX offers some form of a "maintenance", but not sure if that is in-house, or just being a middle-man.

Sure, money spent at your LDS helps keep the lights on, but doesn't do a thing for you in regard to your SW computer....
Yeah it may be a mute point, the one semi-local five shop I talked to basically said buy it online, something about Shearwater not really discounting their products much, even to an authorized dealer. I looked yesterday and couldn’t find a tech support number on Shearwater website, just contact thru email. I will look again today.

Yeah it may be a mute point, the one semi-local five shop I talked to basically said buy it online, something about Shearwater not really discounting their products much, even to an authorized dealer. I looked yesterday and couldn’t find a tech support number on Shearwater website, just contact thru email. I will look again today.

Go to their website, then contacts. I think it’s Divetronix or something similar here in the US. Washington state. There is a phone number but they’re said to be very responsive to emails.

Shearwater does NOT discount their products. You are going to find the same price regardless of where you buy it, online or LDS.

I almost did. At the time that I was looking, my preferred dive shop did not carry Shearwater. There were a couple dive shops in my area, but one was brand new, and the other shops I would rather not go to. I ended up going with the new shop after I stopped by to check out their place.

If not, I would have bought from either Dive Gear Express or Dive Right In Scuba. Shearwater prices are the same regardless of shop.

Service needs to be done at the SW Service Center anyway, so not a big issue if you don’t end up buying local.

I almost did. At the time that I was looking, my preferred dive shop did not carry Shearwater. There were a couple dive shops in my area, but one was brand new, and the other shops I would rather not go to. I ended up going with the new shop after I stopped by to check out their place.

If not, I would have bought from either Dive Gear Express or Dive Right In Scuba. Shearwater prices are the same regardless of shop.

Service needs to be done at the SW Service Center anyway, so not a big issue if you don’t end up buying local.
The one LDS mentioned Dive Gear Express as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom