I’ve read it all and still need opinions on computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do you people suppose is an expected lifespan of a new dive computer? Based on 20 to 30 dives a year. For me anyway, this is also a consideration. Reliability is a big factor.

Here is my quick notes....
1. Honestly, why ditch your old one, it works, and you are a Rec Diver. As long as it does Nitrox and you can see it, you are good.

2. How Long should a DC last, YEARS. I know divers using 15+yo Dive Computers, no reason to upgrade.

3. Why get a new one... Features. Its like buying a car or truck how many cup holders do you want or need to add. Daughter moved from FL to NY for Med School, Heated Seats was a requirement. :) Dad is 76, wanted a new Truck, he got the basics, he just does not need all the crap.
a. Bluetooth, if you use an electronic Logbook.
b. AI - I find this very useful. Divers seem to monitor their Air more, when its on their wrist. But if you do not own your own regulators, its worthless. Do you need an extra SPG - no, Should you - Debatable, do I - yes. Do I look at it - NO.
c. Battery - user replaceable, cable charging, wireless charging.
d. vendor support life. Shearwater still supports and updates 10 yo DCs. Others like, Aqualung, Oceanic, and Suunto, do not support theirs 1/2 as long.

4. Screen visibility size, turning 50 and yes the eyes are taking a bit of a hit. I have 1 DC what is just for high glare lots of light diving.

5. My Recommendation are based in your Diving. Only OW 20-30 a year. so I add Simplicity, being do I have to look at the manual evetime I go diving.
A. 470t great watch great price (its the upgrade to the 450i and OCi), and can go AI. Far easier to use then Geo 4, or its sister the i200 (i think) Short support life from vendor.
B. Teric, Its build like a tank. Shearwater support these for YEARS.
C. Mission One - Great little DC. Easiest DC i have used, very visible in light and depth. Simple Nitrox Computer.

If you do not need the Watch Style, the Perigrine is nice. For me though, the 470t is same price and I can add AI. I would get the Perdix instead though, since it uses a AA easy changeable battery.

I do not own the 470t, though I own the OCi, I use these for my students now.
I own and with a Terric and Perdix.
I own an dive with the Mission one, in springs and pool sessions.
I am very happy with what I have now and do not need the GARMIN.
I have sold, my Cobalt 2, 3 Suntoo's, Geo 2, and a few others.

I almost did. At the time that I was looking, my preferred dive shop did not carry Shearwater. There were a couple dive shops in my area, but one was brand new, and the other shops I would rather not go to. I ended up going with the new shop after I stopped by to check out their place.

If not, I would have bought from either Dive Gear Express or Dive Right In Scuba. Shearwater prices are the same regardless of shop.

Service needs to be done at the SW Service Center anyway, so not a big issue if you don’t end up buying local.
Where did I purchase from -
Teric - DGX new.
Perdix - ebay New and Authorized Vendor.
OCi - 1 off ebay refurbished, the other used from here on SB.
Mission One - HOG direct
All others where purchased at an LDS.

Grateful head:
Looking for a wrist watch sized dive computer. I never wear a watch in daily life, but enjoy wearing one 24-7 while on diving vacation. . . . . I’m looking for a computer to possibly grow into. . . . . Looking for a smaller wrist size, Bluetooth to log dives to I phone and possible air integration. . . . how many of you would or did buy your computer online? . . . To all the divers that are using large dive computers ( Perdix, peregrine ect...) when you are on vacation and you are done with your morning dives, do you take it off and keep it in your hotel room?
Good thread. As you can tell, there is a definite Shearwater fan club on SB (I am part of that as well - I love my Perdix). You can probably also tell that there is no one-and-only-one 'right' answer for you. :)

My thoughts are probably similar to some already expressed, but I add them for volume, if nothing else. In no particular order:

1. With regard to where you started the thread, if you want a functional wristwatch style computer, with Bluetooth, with AI, etc. the i470TC is a good unit. I personally think it is a bit on the pricey side, but it is a solid computer. You get multiple gases capability along with the other features, which MAY be nice (I bought my first DC years ago - Suunto Vytec - because it offered that capability.) You get two of them, and - yes - you have invested some cash, but they will serve your diving needs (as you describe them), very well I doubt there would be much in the way of buyer's remorse. If you can easily read a smaller display, in dim lighting, then go for it. Just because a few of us responding cannot do that should not inhibit YOU from doing it. :) Personally, I don't care for a wristwatch size display, because the display is smaller and dimmer than I prefer. Personally, I also don't usually wear my computer during the day, as a rule. But, to answer one of your questions, I either leave my Perdix in the room, usually in my backpack (never had a problem), or I just wear it when I am out and about in street clothes. Looks a little geeky, but I don't care.

I like AI. I don't need / have to have it. But, it is a convenience - you are swimming along, and you rotate your wrist to check your gas, without having to unclip the SPG. Now, having said that, I am not currently using AI. About 16 months ago, I had a box of gear stolen at a dive site, and my two transmitters were both in that box. I haven't bothered to replace them. I may / probably will, just to give my Perdix AI something else to do. :) But I get along just fine with my 'hard-wired' SPG.

Now, as one, very different, alternative to the 470 for the primarily recreational, warm-water diver - the Deep 6 Excursion has been mentioned in the thread. It is a solid, inexpensive computer. The only thing it doesn't offer from your initial 'functionality' list is AI. But, for the price, it is hard to beat.

2. To address another question: I have bought in-store and online. I have no problem buying online, from established online vendors. DGX is one of my go-to vendors. Northeast Scuba Supply is another. I have never been disappointed with either. I have also bought from Leisure Pro and been happy. I bought several computers (a Liquivision X1, and a Shearwater Perdix) in-store, because that is where I got the best price (i.e. a 'staff' price). I see no problem buying a dive computer online. Most shops can't do much in the way of local service, anyway.

3. Over the years I have bought computers new, and bought used. I have no problem buying used, if the price reflects that status, I bought a Suunto HeLO2 used (online, eBay), and a NitekHe used (online, eBay) and both worked well, just like new. In fact, I only last summer had to retire the HeLO2 after ~8+ years, due to the long-standing Suunto depth sensor issue. So, if you find the computer you want, used, I wouldn't necessarily decline to consider it because it is used. Yes, there is some risk, but I haven't had cause to regret a 'used' DC purchase.

I'm a relatively new diver with about 50 or so dives. I am a warm water vacation diver. I went to Coz back in Aug and wanted a computer for the trip. I try to buy used gear whenever possible..all things in life. After reading up, looking at new and used I decided to go with a Deep 6 Excursion. I think it fits my needs and the price was right. I contemplated on whether or not to get it due to a lack of AI, but its really not a big deal. I would recommend the Deep6 excursion to recreational vacation divers.

Heading back in Playa del Carmen in 2.5 weeks for 11 days. Can't wait to get my Excursion wet again!

1. Honestly, why ditch your old one, it works, and you are a Rec Diver. As long as it does Nitrox and you can see it, you are good.

2. How Long should a DC last, YEARS. I know divers using 15+yo Dive Computers, no reason to upgrade.

3. Why get a new one... Features. Its like buying a car or truck how many cup holders do you want or need to add. Daughter moved from FL to NY for Med School, Heated Seats was a requirement. :) Dad is 76, wanted a new Truck, he got the basics, he just does not need all the crap.
b. AI - I find this very useful. Divers seem to monitor their Air more, when its on their wrist. But if you do not own your own regulators, its worthless. Do you need an extra SPG - no, Should you - Debatable, do I - yes. Do I look at it - NO.
d. vendor support life. Shearwater still supports and updates 10 yo DCs. Others like, Aqualung, Oceanic, and Suunto, do not support theirs 1/2 as long.

4. Screen visibility size, turning 50 and yes the eyes are taking a bit of a hit. I have 1 DC what is just for high glare lots of light diving.

5. My Recommendation are based in your Diving. Only OW 20-30 a year. so I add Simplicity, being do I have to look at the manual evetime I go diving.
A. 470t great watch great price (its the upgrade to the 450i and OCi), and can go AI. Far easier to use then Geo 4, or its sister the i200 (i think) Short support life from vendor.
C. Mission One - Great little DC. Easiest DC i have used, very visible in light and depth. Simple Nitrox Computer.

If you do not need the Watch Style, the Perigrine is nice. For me though, the 470t is same price and I can add AI. I would get the Perdix instead though, since it uses a AA easy changeable battery.

I have sold, my Cobalt 2, 3 Suntoo's, Geo 2, and a few others.[/QUOTE Sorry I missed this. Thanks for taking the time for such a lengthy and informative post. I am actually looking at a few different computers than what I thought I was originally interested in.

I have sold, my Cobalt 2, 3 Suntoo's, Geo 2, and a few others.
I don’t know how I missed this post but I did, sorry. Thanks for taking the time to write up a lengthy post, I will definitely consider your points

Good thread. As you can tell, there is a definite Shearwater fan club on SB (I am part of that as well - I love my Perdix). You can probably also tell that there is no one-and-only-one 'right' answer for you. :)

My thoughts are probably similar to some already expressed, but I add them for volume, if nothing else. In no particular order:

1. With regard to where you started the thread, if you want a functional wristwatch style computer, with Bluetooth, with AI, etc. the i470TC is a good unit. I personally think it is a bit on the pricey side, but it is a solid computer. You get multiple gases capability along with the other features, which MAY be nice (I bought my first DC years ago - Suunto Vytec - because it offered that capability.) You get two of them, and - yes - you have invested some cash, but they will serve your diving needs (as you describe them), very well I doubt there would be much in the way of buyer's remorse. If you can easily read a smaller display, in dim lighting, then go for it. Just because a few of us responding cannot do that should not inhibit YOU from doing it. :) Personally, I don't care for a wristwatch size display, because the display is smaller and dimmer than I prefer. Personally, I also don't usually wear my computer during the day, as a rule. But, to answer one of your questions, I either leave my Perdix in the room, usually in my backpack (never had a problem), or I just wear it when I am out and about in street clothes. Looks a little geeky, but I don't care.

I like AI. I don't need / have to have it. But, it is a convenience - you are swimming along, and you rotate your wrist to check your gas, without having to unclip the SPG. Now, having said that, I am not currently using AI. About 16 months ago, I had a box of gear stolen at a dive site, and my two transmitters were both in that box. I haven't bothered to replace them. I may / probably will, just to give my Perdix AI something else to do. :) But I get along just fine with my 'hard-wired' SPG.

Now, as one, very different, alternative to the 470 for the primarily recreational, warm-water diver - the Deep 6 Excursion has been mentioned in the thread. It is a solid, inexpensive computer. The only thing it doesn't offer from your initial 'functionality' list is AI. But, for the price, it is hard to beat.

2. To address another question: I have bought in-store and online. I have no problem buying online, from established online vendors. DGX is one of my go-to vendors. Northeast Scuba Supply is another. I have never been disappointed with either. I have also bought from Leisure Pro and been happy. I bought several computers (a Liquivision X1, and a Shearwater Perdix) in-store, because that is where I got the best price (i.e. a 'staff' price). I see no problem buying a dive computer online. Most shops can't do much in the way of local service, anyway.

3. Over the years I have bought computers new, and bought used. I have no problem buying used, if the price reflects that status, I bought a Suunto HeLO2 used (online, eBay), and a NitekHe used (online, eBay) and both worked well, just like new. In fact, I only last summer had to retire the HeLO2 after ~8+ years, due to the long-standing Suunto depth sensor issue. So, if you find the computer you want, used, I wouldn't necessarily decline to consider it because it is used. Yes, there is some risk, but I haven't had cause to regret a 'used' DC purchase.
Thanks, I have started looking at the classified section hoping to find a used Teric (or two, for the wife) cheap. Seems like the Shearwater Teric is overkill for me but it’s exactly what I’m looking, except price. The mission one according to my research is made in Taiwan, the deep six I believe to be made in China.

Thanks, I have started looking at the classified section hoping to find a used Teric (or two, for the wife) cheap. Seems like the Shearwater Teric is overkill for me but it’s exactly what I’m looking, except price. The mission one according to my research is made in Taiwan, the deep six I believe to be made in China.

You can not go wrong with the Teric and there are a lot on the market now with the Garmin 2 out. The Teric was more then I needed when I purchased it as well. One Primary reason I have had a lot of DC's, is they have failed. You fail, I replace, even is the warranty fixes it. I wanted the most reliable Brand on the market. Then at 48 I decided let me try Tech and the Teric became even more useful.

You can not go wrong with the Teric and there are a lot on the market now with the Garmin 2 out. The Teric was more then I needed when I purchased it as well. One Primary reason I have had a lot of DC's, is they have failed. You fail, I replace, even is the warranty fixes it. I wanted the most reliable Brand on the market. Then at 48 I decided let me try Tech and the Teric became even more useful.
I am looking.... cheapest I can find is on eBay for $946 for pre-owned. That’s much much more than I am willing to spend especially now, if international travel (dive trip) will be suspended or at the very least, difficult to accomplish. I am looking though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom