I’ve read it all and still need opinions on computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was referring to the tech in the dive computers and not their use as a status symbol.
Does anyone ever care what someone is diving with? I sometimes will ask another diver on the boat about equipment they may own, just for an opinion but I never feel envious. I also never judge Divers by equipment as I have seen to many cases of the high tech guy being the least capable diver and the guy with the most basic equipment being the most skilled.
#Robbyg we where not questioning you... it was the guy after you.

I was referring to the tech in the dive computers and not their use as a status symbol.
Does anyone ever care what someone is diving with? I sometimes will ask another diver on the boat about equipment they may own, just for an opinion but I never feel envious. I also never judge Divers by equipment as I have seen to many cases of the high tech guy being the least capable diver and the guy with the most basic equipment being the most skilled.
Yep. I understood what you were saying.

I will ask about equipment if I haven’t seen it before, but other than that, I don’t care one bit about what another diver uses. Unless of course it’s gear that is clearly in disrepair, but my dive buddies tend to take care of their gear.

Wow thanks for the quick replies. My eyesight is fairly good and not too far from Green Bay. I quick looked up the Shearwater computers and yeah... they are a bit bigger than I am looking for. I’m going to try and reframe my question. Is ai in a dive computer something that is a desirable feature. I emailed a dive shop I plan on diving with this spring to ask them if I can screw my transmitter (presuming I buy an ai computer) to their first stage. His response was “ you sure can but I strongly suggest you have a backup SPG as I have seen more than a few transmitters fail and divers not knowing how much air they have”. I thought the big draw to ai was the elimination of a hose and being able to be more streamlined. His response is making me rethink the importance of ai.

AI is certainly not a necessity but offers convenience. I am on my second AI computer and continue to use a slim console combination spg/depth gauge for redundancy. I have not had transmission issues with either computer accept momentary blocked signal loss.

The Perdix AI has a very readable display, day or night. Simple two button menu operation. Menus are easy to navigate. User changeable AA battery. Easy blue tooth connection to the Shearwater Desktop.

Not the least expensive computer but the transmitter purchase can be delayed. This is a difficult computer to outgrow if you think you are into diving for the long haul.

Hi don't know if any one can help me out.. I bought 6 Cosmiq+ two days ago from their website. I', a Cosmiq Partner. But Unfortunately I haven't been able to get in touch within DeepBlu Representative their emails or Telephones are not working. Does any one have any Contact with them?

I bought Oceanic computers for years. I liked their designs and capabilities. Then I bought a Perdix and fell in love with ??? ... Buhlmann 16C. I wouldn't get another computer without it.

I love my Teric. It give me all the info I need in one glance and the display is very clear even at 132 feet depth. I took this picture with my GoPro 6, got a bit too close and out of focus.

It shows;
- what depth I am in at the moment (132.7 feet),
- what NDL I have remaining (3 minutes),
- how long I have been underwater (6 minutes & 43 seconds),
- how long it'll take me to get to the surface (9 minutes),
- what's my gas pressure (2580 psig),
- what water temperature at that depth (78 F),
- what gas I use at the time (air, 21% oxygen),
- the compass direction (red arrow is showing the north). I'm going south-ish direction (green dot),
- my gas time remaining (unfortunately I forgot to turn it on at the time).

All in one glance.

Teric in Blue Hole.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom