Is there a theft risk at Buddy Dive???

Have you yourself been a victim of theft on Bonaire?

• Never in 1 - 3 visits

Votes: 59 46.8%
  • Never in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Never in 7 - 10 visits

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Never in more than 10 visits

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Yes. once in one visit

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Yes. once in 2 - 3 visits

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Yes. once in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. once in 7-10 visits

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Yes. once in more than 10 visits

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Yes. more than once on a single visit

• Yes. more than once on 2 - 10 visits

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Yes. more than once in over 10 visits

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DV, you totally missed his point. He said, locking the doors and windows of a car, with valuables inside AND OUT OF SIGHT has been a safe method of anti crime in all the other places he's been to in the world and wanted tlo make sure that method would also work in Bonaire. The "advice" you just gave him doesn't appear to be too sound, from what we all know is the state of things in Bonaire.:eyebrow: Now, would you like to take another try at giving him sound and safe advice, DV?:shakehead:

Mike..Have you learned absolutely nothing from reading these threads?
My advice to you would be to go ahead and do this. I would suggest that in addition to the expensive camera equipment, leave some money on the dash as well as a rolex watch. Close those windows tight & lock your truck. Let us know what happens.:confused:

Good question, DV. What we have learned is, Bonaire has a bad theft problem, nothkng is being done about it, so if you go there to shore dive, and rent a vehicle, then bring a suitcase filled with anti-theft devices and leave everything open and unlocked, windows down and all, and be sure to have a alarms on your doors at rented condos so when the crooks come into your place to rob your stuff, break-ins, you will wake up so you and your family can run and hide because ther is No police protection. great place.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

OK, two moderators have asked that everyone play nicely and refrain from trolling and name-calling.

That hasn't happened so [-]one person is[/-] two people are now banned from participating in this thread
with the option for others to follow if it continues.

Last edited:
My advice to you would be to go ahead and do this. I would suggest that in addition to the expensive camera equipment, leave some money on the dash as well as a rolex watch. Close those windows tight & lock your truck. Let us know what happens.:confused:

Well 11 pages is a bit much to muddle through...:wink:

You must have misread my question.

I wouldn't tell her to leave the camera in plain sight, the plan would be to do the opposite so as to not give any incentive to break in. Let's face it, nothing is totally secure, but the common rule of protecting yourself on vacation is not to be an easy target, don't draw attention to yourself and the thieves ignore you and move on seeking an easy target. This is pretty much the advice given to all travelers. Isn't this what basically makes a money belt such a good idea? The money is there on all tourists, but thieves don't go stealing every single toursits belts, or breaking into every single car do they?

So again, I'm not talking about doing anything so silly as to bring attention to myslef with tempting a thief by broadcasting an easy target by leaving the items in plain view or as you (I hope you are joking) said on the dash. I'm talking about keeping it out of sight, not giving a thief any reason to break in and just lock the truck up.

Maybe but I like the shirt I replaced it with :wink:

croc-man.jpg

maybe it was your favorite t-shirt that gave it away?? :idk: :thumb:

its_not_easy_being_sleazy_t_shirts-p235424037499735163trlf_400.jpg

I wouldn't tell her to leave the camera in plain sight, the plan would be to do the opposite so as to not give any incentive to break in. Let's face it, nothing is totally secure, but the common rule of protecting yourself on vacation is not to be an easy target, don't draw attention to yourself and the thieves ignore you and move on seeking an easy target. This is pretty much the advice given to all travelers. Isn't this what basically makes a money belt such a good idea? The money is there on all tourists, but thieves don't go stealing every single toursits belts, or breaking into every single car do they?

So again, I'm not talking about doing anything so silly as to bring attention to myslef with tempting a thief by broadcasting an easy target by leaving the items in plain view or as you (I hope you are joking) said on the dash. I'm talking about keeping it out of sight, not giving a thief any reason to break in and just lock the truck up.

There are places where window breaking is a fine art .... Oahu for example, and New Orleans, Panama and oddly enough Idaho. Any place where that is done, the rental agencies will tell you not to roll your windows up. If you see that recommendation, there is a reason.

Note: This is more to do with auto damage than your property loss and theft habits for a local area.

I am sure there is some crime free place in the world, but I have even had a car radio stolen in Munich via the smash the window out first method.. sure glad it was a rental car.

Good question, DV. What we have learned is, Bonaire has a bad theft problem, nothkng is being done about it, so if you go there to shore dive, and rent a vehicle, then bring a suitcase filled with anti-theft devices and leave everything open and unlocked, windows down and all, and be sure to have a alarms on your doors at rented condos so when the crooks come into your place to rob your stuff, break-ins, you will wake up so you and your family can run and hide because ther is No police protection. great place.

Why the vendetta pilot fish, that is one thing I cetainly do not understand?

Good diving, Craig

pifi, was your trip to bonaire really that bad? You denigrate the island hugely for one trip's experience.

posting again as it went underanswered . . . You said you didn't shore dive, so what did you get stolen from where when? :confused:

1 . . . 2 . . . 3

I think that by locking the car and having the windows up, you are bringing attention to yourselves. When everybody is leaving their car unlocked and their windows down, doing the opposite is a sure way of advertising there are valuables in the car.

The camera thing is a bit of a problem, we haven't figured out the details on how we're going to do that ourselves. One thing is clear, only the underwater camera is going with us while diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom