Is there a theft risk at Buddy Dive???

Have you yourself been a victim of theft on Bonaire?

• Never in 1 - 3 visits

Votes: 59 46.8%
  • Never in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Never in 7 - 10 visits

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Never in more than 10 visits

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Yes. once in one visit

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Yes. once in 2 - 3 visits

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Yes. once in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. once in 7-10 visits

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Yes. once in more than 10 visits

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Yes. more than once on a single visit

• Yes. more than once on 2 - 10 visits

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Yes. more than once in over 10 visits

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...just wonderin' if any of the Bonaire 'experts' know whether or not Bonaire has big import taxes/tariffs on scuba gear or other items ?

The import duties on Bonaire (as wel as on Curaçao) vary betwee 3 and 22%. I can't find an English link with this info but I found it on http://www.evd.nl, which is the website of the Dutch ministry of economic affairs.

Now, I don't think that the focus of stolen goods is on scuba material. Reading through several posts of theft related incidents the focus seems to be on electronics (like cell phones and Ipods) or money which may or may not have been left unattended in plain view.

The import duties are in this range for everything, except the basic foodstuff (which can be imported FOC) if I interpret their website correctly.

Now lets note that I'm nowhere near expert levels on Bonaire as I have personally not been there yet.

Yes but that will go unnoticed for sure.

maybe it was your favorite t-shirt that gave it away?? :idk: :thumb:

its_not_easy_being_sleazy_t_shirts-p235424037499735163trlf_400.jpg

We will be diving in Bonaire in May with another couple. The wife of the other couple is a photo enthusiast (above water) and likes to travel with 4-5 thousand dollars in canon digital camera and lens.

Will it be safe to leave it in the rental truck while diving as long as we roll the windows up, lock the truck and put the camera out of sight?

We will be diving in Bonaire in May with another couple. The wife of the other couple is a photo enthusiast (above water) and likes to travel with 4-5 thousand dollars in canon digital camera and lens.

Will it be safe to leave it in the rental truck while diving as long as we roll the windows up, lock the truck and put the camera out of sight?
I hope that was sarcasm!!!!!!

Why would it be sarcasm?

This is a typical safe method used all over the world to safe guard valuables. Locking the door and windows typically eliminates petty thieves from taking advantage of a theft of convienience, and more hard core theives generally don't randomly break windows or pry open locks unless there is something they can see that they want.

Is it not sensible to use the same methods we have used all over the world (keeping the doors locked, the windows rolled up and keeping all valuables out of sight so as not to entice a thief) in Bonaire unless there is something different about Bonaire?

Please explain.

Why would it be sarcasm?

This is a typical safe method used all over the world to safe guard valuables. Locking the door and windows typically eliminates petty thieves from taking advantage of a theft of convienience, and more hard core theives generally don't randomly break windows or pry open locks unless there is something they can see that they want.

Is it not sensible to use the same methods we have used all over the world (keeping the doors locked, the windows rolled up and keeping all valuables out of sight so as not to entice a thief) in Bonaire unless there is something different about Bonaire?

Please explain.
You are not going to goat me into having the same argument that has been hashed over and over again.:troll:

Why is this an argument?

I just want to make sure her valuable camera will be safe, I know she will want to take it with her when we go out shore diving to take picutures before and after, like I said she is an avid photo bug.

I have heard some half-hearted jokes about the condition of the rental vehicles on Bonaire. Are they that bad that the doors don't lock or the windows don't roll up?

Why would it be sarcasm?

Please explain.

Mike..Have you learned absolutely nothing from reading these threads?
My advice to you would be to go ahead and do this. I would suggest that in addition to the expensive camera equipment, leave some money on the dash as well as a rolex watch. Close those windows tight & lock your truck. Let us know what happens.:confused:

That works in any other place I've been to in the States, and every place else in the Caribe, but, for some unknown reason, ahem, it doesn't seem to work in Bonaire.:shocked2: The fact that EVERYONE, INCLUDING THE RENTAL AGENCIES, tell you to roll the windows down and leave the doors open, would indicate that they, the rentals, cops, Gov, already know they have a bad problem. That an admission. :eyebrow:What is their answer? Roll your windows down:shakehead: Wow, what a great anti theft solution.:shakehead:

Why is this an argument?

I just want to make sure her valuable camera will be safe, I know she will want to take it with her when we go out shore diving to take picutures before and after, like I said she is an avid photo bug.

I have heard some half-hearted jokes about the condition of the rental vehicles on Bonaire. Are they that bad that the doors don't lock or the windows don't roll up?

Well, they have to make it easier for the crooks. If they made it any harder, the crooks might go elsewhere and then what would Bonaire do?:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom